Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland Navigation Equipment Forbidden

Poster: A snowHead
If the UK death rate from car accidents rises for the next few years, then the experiment will have failed? Will they then take the cameras down?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slikedges, pedants united - sorry Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eng_ch, no prob, in fact just as much my fault for not bothering to read the links wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold wrote:
In-vehicle GPS units are akin to mini TVs and a distraction. It is only a matter of time before authorities start clamping down on them.

That's the most absurd comment I've heard.

I can tell you've never actually use one. You've only "look at" one and the screen.

Hint: you don't "look", it TELLS you where to do!

Or the authorities will "clamp down" on radios next? They've got those pesty station display screen that's "akin to mini TVs and a distraction"! Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abc, It isn't all that absurd.

I can see all mobile/cell phone use when driving being banned in the EU at some point, even with a hands-free kit. Banning GPS units that talk isn't a big step after that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs, you'll have to ban passengers then; a passenger who won't shut up when you're trying to concentrate is a far worse and more dangerous distraction. But that wouldn't suit anyone's green credentials would it?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT wrote:
If the UK death rate from car accidents rises for the next few years, then the experiment will have failed? Will they then take the cameras down?

AFAIK every study that has looked at speed cameras has shown that they reduce deaths and injuries. I think that there was an editorial on them in the BMJ a while back.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs wrote:
abc, It isn't all that absurd.

I can see all mobile/cell phone use when driving being banned in the EU at some point, even with a hands-free kit. Banning GPS units that talk isn't a big step after that.

I think that it is. One involves passive listening, the other active participation in the conversation, a totally different kettle of fish.

I'm pretty sure that my GPS makes me a safer driver. No late braking to dive down turns that I'd only seen at the last minute, no looking at maps or directions on the passenger seat, or trying to orientate myself, far more time to concentrate on driving and the roads around me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First they need to stop drivers from smoking and drinking (tea/coffee/coke/water/whatever) when behind the wheel, and ban children from cars.
Next, remove the power steering from Chelsea tractors.
Then fit automatic lights to cars, so that they come on when needed, and go off when not needed.

After that, they can consider other things.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, Banning smoking while driving has been suggested recently.

Children are at least required to wear seatbelts, ban dogs running around in the back first.

Why bother with automatic lights, just make it the law that they have to be on all the time like in Austria.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs wrote:
Children are at least required to wear seatbelts,

But not gags and handcuffs. Missed opportunity there, I think.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs, problem is that some people insist on using (or forgetting to switch off) their fog lights.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You get offered a GPS ("Neverlost" I think) when you hire a car from Hertz in Geneva airport. I can only presume this GPS system is legal as it doesn't hold or offer any information regarding speed cameras?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer,

I thought I saw a report saying they had risen this year...but , be that is it may, IF the death rate came down, would we see a reduction in cameras...?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eng ch Do you know if the law in Switzerland extend to banning data held about other countries road networks, even if there is no data about Switzerland on the Sat-Nav in question?

I can see that there will be much to be gained by having 2 data cards, which can be switched over at the Swiss border.
ski holidays
JT wrote:
IF the death rate came down, would we see a reduction in cameras...?

Isn't that a bit like saying: "If the death rate from smoking comes down due to the smoking ban, then we should lift the ban"?
latest report
Quote:

AFAIK every study that has looked at speed cameras has shown that they reduce deaths and injuries. I think that there was an editorial on them in the BMJ a while back.

Although there is some doubt about the way these reports were produced http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6571257.stm

This isn't the only doubt over road safety figures. The official statistics lump together deaths and serious injuries on the roads. These have shown a significant fall since speed cameras were introduced, leading to the inevitable conclusion - speed cameras save lives.

But the dramatic fall in serious injuries in road crashes puzzled some academics, who didn't think it reflected what was going on in hospitals. So they compared the hospital statistics for road injuries to the police figures, which the government uses.

"What we found was no substantial decline at all," says Michael Goldacre, a professor in Public Health from Oxford University, and part of the research team.
ski holidays
jonesj71, From what I've read on this you can have what you like on other countries as long as Swiss maps do not show POI's. I'm driving through Switzerland this Friday as I can't take POI's off my system (I can turn them off but don't think that is enough) I'm taking Swiss maps off the SD card. I just might put them on a spare card though in my camera bag in case of emergencies.
snow report
davidof wrote:
FenlandSkier wrote:

What's next, take down all the roadsigns warning of hazards ahead? Scrub all the white lines off the road?

havn't the Dutch experimented with that, it reduced the number of accidents.

Well as you may guess its is not illegal here , thats why so mnay Dutch have been caught in Switzerland on there holidays.

The posting of warning about speed traps (on web, gps warnings)is very common here, has been for years, even blowing up the cameras was a big thing for while. Im sorry the Gatso were invented here as well as speed humps & trajectory velocity controls.

I cannot find the website right now but I know it was once shown on the BBC in England. There is a Dutch guy who goes round taking photos of the Mobile Policemen & there speed traps takes there photo & then posts it on the Net! All part of Freddom of Information over here

Heres a warning site

http://www.flitsservice.nl/

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 24-07-07 14:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
stanton, why are you guys in a hurry everywhere? Can't you slow down and learn to enjoy life at a less stressful pace? Laughing
snow conditions
stanton, That'll be the Tuf Tuf Club if I'm not mistaken

I'd vote for the topless speed campaign http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6181788.stm although I believe this was a spoof?
latest report
Yes thats it. It has closed down.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
stanton, why are you guys in a hurry everywhere? Can't you slow down and learn to enjoy life at a less stressful pace? Laughing

I do not even own a car Very Happy
ski holidays
Could someone tell me if this is still considered an issue in Germany and Austria too? I see even google maps is displaying speed cameras.
snow report
@Petra84, I don’t think google nav gives you speed cameras. I use TomTom and that only has speed cameras in the countries you’re allowed to use it, so they show up in Austria but not Switzerland. I think it works in Germany, but don’t quote me on that.

Be aware though, that the Austrian police regularly set up mobile speed traps on motorways, junctions and roundabouts. These obviously don’t show up on your nav. Also, it’s not always obvious when a camera is an average one.
ski holidays
thread resurrection?
snow conditions
I have to laugh....in Europe your speed control devices seem to be mostly in fixed positions, many with warning signs (fair enough). Once you figure it out, you make your adjustments and away you go. Ours are still mostly in police cars on the move shooting radar at you, or hiding in the weeds shooting laser at you. In either case, you have no chance without electronic countermeasures. I guess us Americans dig our instant gratification....we get busted right then and there, no waiting for the mail!
ski holidays
@Scarlet,
Garmin gives you fixed speed camera sites in the U.K. "Dangerous road segments" in France and Switzerland. Can't remember the phrase for Belgium and Germany but the locations are marked. Regular mobile sites in France are also marked as "Dangerous road segments" although it still not unusual to spot a police car tucked in underneath a bridge on the motorway in France not in a marked spot.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Use Waze.
snow report
Yeah Waze... if you have time and will to explore gravel roads and goat paths around the country where you are traveling (with properly set preferences etc.) Wink So fuc**ed up navi as Waze is, is really hard to find. But what else could you expect from Facebook anyway.
No idea for UK, but down here south (Slovenia, Austria, Germany...) CamSam is one super nice thing to have running. It's not navigation, but it does beep for every speed cam/police control, stationary or temporary.
snow conditions
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
I have to laugh....in Europe your speed control devices seem to be mostly in fixed positions, many with warning signs (fair enough). Once you figure it out, you make your adjustments and away you go. Ours are still mostly in police cars on the move shooting radar at you, or hiding in the weeds shooting laser at you. In either case, you have no chance without electronic countermeasures. I guess us Americans dig our instant gratification....we get busted right then and there, no waiting for the mail!
Definitely not the case here or Austria. Yes they do have some fixed cameras at certain critical spots, but mostly they are mobile, either in the back of a van (around here always with a Bad-Tölz number plate for some reason), or set up in the bushes next to the road. The Germans are amazingly tolerant about it though. They always give you a 10% tolerance on the measured value, which is ridiculous considering these are calibrated radars!
snow conditions
@primoz, we used Waze to try navigating us around the place in Colorado last year. It ended up taking us from Telluride over Monarch Pass (3,448 m) in a snowstorm instead of back over I70 to Denver. Interesting experience!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy