Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Renting a car. Ski rack or bigger car ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I am not sure this is the best forum so please correct me gently.

We have a group of 7 going skiing. A few resorts within Pyrenees.

Not sure whether to:
rent big vehicle (e.g. vito seats 9 supposedly) and hope to put skis inside
OR
rent two 4 seaters and rent ski racks to go on top
OR
try to specify 2 van shaped things like Citroen Berlingo and put the skis inside
OR
2* estates (skis inside)

The car hire companies don't seem too clued up or helpful.
One year we were going to rent a 4 seater and buy a ski rack (to store locally) but ended up with a Citroen Berlingo without specifying it (too high to put a ski rack on ?).

John
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Owens88, welcome to snowHeads. I'm sure that someone here will be able to give you the answer that you need.

I'm not sure that I'm interpreting your question correctly as they all seem valid options.

Are you all larg(ish) adults, as we found that all the other family members skis but mine would fit into a standard boot.

We had no trouble using a magnetic ski rack that we were given by the hire company. You just peel it off and leave it in the boot when you are parked up for the night. When parking with skis on the rack, I would take them off and lock them inside the car.

I notice that you can buy your own magnetic racks on ebay
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Owens88, Maybe a minibus-style vehicle, but it wouldn't be much fun in a people carrier like the Renault Espace. I drive the stretch version of the Espace, but I wouldn't fancy trying to put 7 people plus equipment inside. With a ski rack, it'd be just about possible, but you'd have bags under your feet, everywhere ... wouldn't be too comfortable a trip. Long way to the Pyrenees. Could be done though in the long Espace, but there would be virtually no storage space at all behind the back row of seats in the shorter version, and equivalent in other makes.

As Ray says, lot depends on sizes of bodies, if there are any small people or not.

Welcome to snowHead snoHeads snowHead !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Owens88, I'd go along with PG. 7 skiers with kit in a 9-seater vehicle - even with a skirack - would not be a fun experience. Don't do that sort of travelling now. When I did, I used to work on a rato of 3:5, for hill-walking, rock climbing and skiing. eg 3 people max in a 5-seater vehicle.

Welcome to snowheads.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all so far.

The comments about the big vehicle confirm my suspicions.

I think the complication that has only entered in recent years is these van type things (kangoo, berlingo). Funnily enough they are not even a category on the car rental sites.

Cheers

John
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Are you renting the cars locally or are you driving over from England? Sports bags are easier to pack into a car than suitcases but aren't practical for taking on a plane. Suitcases don't fit under seats etc.

I doubt you would get 7 adults, skis and luggage inside one Vito. 9 seaters normally have seat banks (e.g. 3 banks of 3 seats). If you are seven then it is likely that you won't be able to fold the last bank down losing a lot of storage space. If the Vito had a roof or rack or rear ski carrier you might do it but it would be tight (as others have said).

I've travelled round Italy in a Grand Espace. We were 4 adults and two babys with luggage inc 2 child buggies. Only just managed to pack the whole lot in.

Of all the options I would go for two estates but with the option of roof racks. 7 people and their luggage will probably fill two estates then the skis can go on top.
PS Don't go for rear wheel drive in the snow and make sure the hire firm provides snow chains, better to check that the chains are in the car and are the right size before you drive the cars away.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Regarding body to seat ratios - two/three people with all their kit can be pushing it on the comfort stakes, even in an estate car, especially if you drive from the UK and just keep chucking things in "because you can". Worst trip ever - being picked up from Nice, four (tall) lads and me in a clapped out golf, six pairs of skis, two snowboards, five pairs of boots, all luggage and food for a couple of days trying to get to isola in pitch black, breaking down at the side of the road on the way up. This is not comfort at it's best, but once the temperature in the car dropped below zero I was very glad to have the body warmth. If in doubt, err on the side of caution - the price of an upgrade is nothing compared to having to get from airport to resort with luggage on your lap and skis poking you in the ear. Just remember that even with a ski rack that will get your skis to and from the piste that all your luggage and skis are going to accompany you from hte airport. Unless you are hiring of course, then smaller cars and a ski rack are a great option! snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd suggest 2 estate cars. You could put 5 people in one car, and have the boot luggage space. Put 2 people in the other car with the back seats folded down, which you could then fill up with all the skis and most of the luggage, should all fit in nicely. Alternatively, many back seats partially fold down, allowing you to split people and skis more evenly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Owens88, be careful with those magnetic ski racks - there was a thread back in Spring recounting how one of these racks came flying off a car. Not fun.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Owens88, we regularly travel with hire cars from Geneva or Turin. The best would probably be a couple of vauxhall Zafira types. Plenty of room for luggage and skis. Holiday Autos list them as a separate category (5 seater van i think) , and they have some good offers at the moment. A Golf estate, alhough lovely to drive, was just too small, we managed to fit it all in, but kids were very cramped (especially as one 5 11 and other 5 8 ). I (all 5ft 1 of me) volunteered to sit in the back for the return journey, but the navigation then went horribly wrong as the kid in the front fell asleep just outside Chambery.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Be careful with roof racks (both luggage and skis). Many insurance policies won't allow claims for theft, even if the rack was locked. That may be not too much of a risk in the services, but it's very dodgy in a dark hotel car park overnight.

Check your policy wording carefully.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all.

To be clear I am not driving from UK. I will be renting in Gerona (Spain)

Snow chains are often compulsory where I am going (Mont Louis, Pyrenees 2000 and beyond) and will be part of the booking. Though they don't cost much more to buy than rent !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would skis fit inside a Ford Focus size car with three people in it? I heard here that ski racks aren't great for your skis as you get all the road salt over them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i'd go with two estates and ski racks. I wouldn't worry about skis on top of the cars; the salt will soon get washed off once you get on the slopes. They can live with it. Two vehicles will also be far more flexible in-resort; then everybody doesn't have to go everywhere at exactly the same time - e.g. one car-load can stop at a supermarket. Estates are good for ski boots in the back, you can sit down and get your boots done up. Small cars seem to have no room for anything.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just to comment on the Vito we hired a Vito in France this summer, we had 7 adults and a child in a car seat, obviously we had no ski's but there was plenty of room in the van for people, luggage, baby seats, pushchair etc.

The van had 8 seats, 2 in the front and 2 row's of three, (I thing there is a 9 seat version with three seats in the front) I found the space in the rear for luggage was great, the Vito has a rail system so that the 2 rows of 3 seats can be moved backwards / forwards as required, this means that the luggage area can be made bigger, also because of the rail system ski's can be slid under the 2 row's of seats, as mentioned above, holdalls are better to pack in the car than suitcases, you only have one lot of fuel to pay for, and all 7 are in the same vehicle, based on experience this year in France I’d go for the Vito.
ski holidays
Peter Ross, Ive got 3 Pairs of ski's into the back of a focus with 3 people in it, luggage in the boot. They were all 160cm size ski's - I placed them behind the drivers seat (not in ski bags mind) and leaned them up the back seatand rested one on the back pillar, one to the left of the headrest and the other to the right of it. (then used the seatbelt to secure them! wink )
latest report
For a group of 8 that I regularly go with, we've hired 2 Renault Scenics for the past 7 years... we've only used them for a long weekend trip, transferring Lyon to Bourg St Maurice. BUT we get 4 big lads, 4 snowboards and bindings, and all luggage (boots, clothes, board wear) for a 4 day long weekend in each. Couple of the lads have the big wheely 'coffin' style board bags and these go in as well. Its tight but not really a squash...

(on various occasions we've also had the Citreon Picasso ). Last year, we were provided the Zafira, and the general opinion was that it was slightly larger and more comfortable... certainly there was a 'little' more boot space.
ski holidays
StephenFrench, That's a good way of doing it, my skis are 185cm twin tips so I might run out of room! I think I should go to my local Ford car dealer and try it out! He'll think I'm mad!
latest report
Owens88, I have done a Citroen C8 with 6 up and only 2 pairs of skis - luggage level with the windows all around and most uncomfortable. The Vito option is jolly expensive and I expect you would be more comfortable and pay less in 2 midsize cars, with skis down the middle through the back seat hatch, so exactly the opposite advice to bluestar-ale's! As Ray Zorro says it probably comes down to the length of your skis.
snow conditions
Depending on how much luggage you have, its possible to fit skis inside small cars and get your luggage in as well. I've done long weekends with two friends where we've had three sets of skis and all of our luggage in a rented VW Polo, and the skis were 185, 165 and 160cm. I wouldn't say it was comfortable for long journeys, but we had no more than 90 minutes in the car at a time, and most of the time was 10-15 minutes max. We folded the small (third of the) back seat down, ran the skis diagonally across the boot, and then piled all of the bags around this and on the folded seat, until the rear seat passenger was jammed in.

As a Zafira owner, I'd not advise putting more than 4 people into one for longer journeys, as you'll need the boot space for luggage, and skis will take up one of the middle seats if they're inside - either through the middle of the main bench seat, or the folded third. You could in theory have 6 people in one, with skis down the middle and luggage on their knees as well as in the (very small) remaining boot space, but it would be uncomfortable. The big benefit of the Zafira and equivalents is legroom and headroom, due to the upright seating position and body style, so if you're driving for 3-4 hours you might notice the difference. In something like a Vectra, 3 is comfortable, and 4 is a push if you have lots of luggage, as the boot space is smaller.

I suspect though that the main motivation for your final decision will be cost - anything more than a standard car seems disproportionately expensive to hire, although having said that, a check with Budget shows a Vectra or Zafira for around €340 per week (the Zafira is actually cheaper!), while a Vito would be €650. However, with a Vito you'd maybe get 7 in at a push, depending on the body length - there are 3 versions...which the hire company won't tell you about rolling eyes
snow report
Peter Ross, I was having a look at my focus today (just actually on the way back from work) you will prob be able to do it with 185's if you open the boot and run them in from there over the seat (same arrangement, just you cant fit 185's through the door very easily Happy
snow conditions
StephenFrench, thanks for testing it out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy