Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British mountain guide arrested for guiding British cyclists in France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Whitegold wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

They are rubbish at real war

Like Iraq? wink

Gulf War Part 2 was a success for the Allies. A tiny army swept through in weeks.

It is the post-war planning that has been sub-optimal.

off topic but didnt the French "opt out" of supporting "gulf war part 2" and became forever known by Americans as "cheese eating surrender monkeys"
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
laundryman wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
Why is it every time some UK company flaunts the local rules in France the French are immediately accused of "protectionism"?

Because it is the French authorities who are flouting the law, as was quoted in el Hen's original post:

Quote:
“the authorities of the host Member State must authorise you to pursue a profession on its territory, if you have the required diploma from your country of origin in order to pursue that profession”

Davidof clearly answers this a few posts after this so i wont dive in....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch wrote:
Quote:

Me too but so is having to have an ISTD to teach beginners how to ski...

skimottaret, disagree! IMHO early stage learning is the most important. mid stage less so, high levels clearly require someone of higher competence...

Hmm... might have to agree to disagree on that one. I agree that an experienced ISTD would be best for teaching all levels and you are right getting the best instruction you can as a beginer is crucial. But, i feel that grade 2's or 3's are more than competent to demo and teach beginners, and they may be cheaper and more plentiful than an ISTD, AFAIK there are only around 400-500 active BASI ISTD's worldwide.....

I only used that as an analogy between the high mountain guides taking bikers on marked trails was all, and this might not the best thread to debate this old chestnut wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, fair do's Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fair comment - I suppose I can only defend the tradition of the British amateur abroad so far!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You don't think that the French waited for MTB'ing to get really established in Morzine/Les Gets before complaining , now that they could be missing out on some business?? wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mistermouse wrote:
You don't think that the French waited for MTB'ing to get really established in Morzine/Les Gets before complaining , now that they could be missing out on some business?? wink

there might be something in what you say, after all when there are only one or two people breaking "the rules" it is hardly worth bothering about.

I'm still wondering whether this could all just work better as a free market without so much government interference. Good guides, ski teachers, mountain bike leaders would still get enough business wouldnt' they?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, yep. I am with you completely on that...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is the latest on the situation, it would seem common sense is prevailing for the rest of the summer. This is from the news section on 'Singletrackworld'

Accompanied riding in Morzine reinstated
by: Ganga on: Thursday 19 July 2007 @ 21:12:54

This next bit is rather long, I've had a long day and I am too tired to cut it down!

Following discussions between ourselves and the head of tourism, the mayor, the gendarmerie and other influential local people in Morzine an interim solution has been reached which allows non French qualified mountain bikers to continue working with their guests on the mountain this summer. This is good news for all concerned, for all of us and our guests but also for the local guides and the people of Morzine.

The town has recognised the contribution that mountain biking makes to their local economy in the summer. They have also recognised that there are insufficient French qualified guides to deal with the numbers of mountain bikers (British, French and others) who visit the area each week.

It is remains the case that controls will still take place on the mountain but on a local level the Morzine gendarmerie have agreed that they will advise rather than arrest for the remainder of this summer.

It should be noted that the action taken by the DDJS is not confined to Morzine and has not been confined to the sport of mountain biking, due to a serious incident that took place on Mt Blanc recently the DDJS has decided to run a "control" of various activities in the region.

Contrary to popular belief the Morzine tourist office has stressed its positive commitment to the continued development of mountain biking in the area. They recently secured a deal with Lapierre Cycles (a major manufacturer in the French market for both mountain and road bikes) to develop the XC trails and repair and maintain the existing ones in Morzine area. They are also working with the lift company to persuade them to extend the limited summer season.

Many positives have resulted from the discussions held over the past week. The most important is that communication has now been established and a consultation process will begin in the autumn with the DDJS (Direction Departmental de Jeunesse et des Sports), the mayor, the tourist office, local guides and local companies to resolve the issues surrounding non French qualified guides working in France.

The legal case against Gareth remains and Scottish Cycling, the CTC and the European community amongst others are now involved to reach a definitive result.

Thanks to everyone who has offered words of support and practical help over the last few days. It is great to be part of a thriving and concerned biking community!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
The SCU MTB exam isn't a "professional" exam. That is their problem and this is why I don't think the EU angle will fly..

I realise from your later "free market" comments that this isn't necessarily your view, but an explanation of the stance of a French interest group. It seems hair-splitting and self-serving to me. I would say it goes against the spirit and the letter of the EU law quoted at the top of the thread.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thought anyone following this may be interested to see text below (from an e-mail sent out by endlessride last night):

"Following discussions between ourselves and the head of tourism, the mayor,
the gendarmerie and other influential local people in Morzine an interim
solution has been reached which allows non French qualified mountain bikers
to continue working with their guests on the mountain this summer. This is
good news for all concerned, for all of us and our guests but also for the
local guides and the people of Morzine.

The town has recognised the contribution that mountain biking makes to their
local economy in the summer (thank you to everyone who submitted figures).
They have also recognised that there are insufficient French qualified
guides to deal with the numbers of mountain bikers (British, French and
others) who visit the area each week.

It is remains the case that according to the French authority governing
sporting qualifications (DDJS), ‘guides’ who do not hold the French
qualification are acting illegally by working in France. Controls will still
take place on the mountain, staff accompanying guests could be asked to
produce copies of their UK qualifications, their first aid certificate and
their employment contract, but on a local level the Morzine gendarmerie have
agreed that they will advise rather than arrest for the remainder of this
summer. "
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mistermouse wrote:

It should be noted that the action taken by the DDJS is not confined to Morzine and has not been confined to the sport of mountain biking, due to a serious incident that took place on Mt Blanc recently the DDJS has decided to run a "control" of various activities in the region.

The serious incident referred to is this one

http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/2/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Apologies - hadn't realised my quote had already been posted. Not sure quite how I missed that...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What was interesting in Gareth's (from EndlessRide) statement were some of the complaints about guided groups in Morzine: riding on private land, riding on trails closed to cycling, riding against the flow of traffic. Etc. It seems that some of the English MTB guides (maybe not those with the SCU qualification) are in fact in need of a bit of education.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy