Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sneaky Weekends...

Poster: A snowHead
Right,

Due to half my usual group being skinter than a skint thing, it looks like we’ll get one big trip in during January or February 2008 instead of the two (or three) we had originally planned. This leaves me thinking; will I go mad if I don’t get enough snow?

Just as I was dusting off the noose because times look hard ahead for my snowboarding addiction, a brain wave of epic proportions hit me – “why don’t I go for a long weekend boarding?” This means I can maybe have a quick dabble in late November/early December and even one in January before the main trip, all without it costing a fortune.

Does anyone have any suggestions for resorts that are:

A) Easy on the old transfer times. Don’t ant to be stuck on a road for ages when I could be enjoying the white stuff.

B) Cheap as chips. Only been to France before so don’t care where I go, as long as it’s on the budget end of things for accommodation, food and ski passes.

C) Lively(ish) so me and the missus have something to do on an evening.

D) Not too hardcore in terms of the runs. I’m getting better but don’t want to be doing heli-boarding and the missus would rather there be some nice smooth runs than rock-filled off-piste tracks!!

Is it possible to do three or four days on the cheap or will it be closer to the price of a week away? What kind of figures should I prepare my wallet for and what’s the best option, DIY holiday or package del with someone like Crystal?

Anyone had any good short breaks that they’d like to share info about?

I’ll let you lot swamp me with suggestions – let the swamping begin!!
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Specialman, Ive done about 15 short breaks now (anything from 1 - 4 days).

In terms of cost, a 2/3/4 day DIY break will be more expensive than a last minute cheapie week being sold off by a TO.

One area that you lose on short breaks is the transfer. For a weekend you want it to be quick, which means that you end up hiring a car, which can cost more than the flights. You definitely want to minimise the transfer costs if you can.

A good option for late Nov/Dec may be Obertauern, 1 hour from Salzburg. I'm not sure if the shuttle will be operating then, but it was only €39 per person when I did it last season. If there is insufficient snow there, Kaprun is about the same journey time, or Hintertux would be fine at 2.25 hours transfer (which I've done a few times).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like the PSB would be a good starter for 10?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PSB plus a weekend in Scotland Toofy Grin
easyjet do Bristol to Inverness flights
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Specialman, do your normal trip and the EoSB.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Specialman, late November you want a glacier for sure. PSB one option. Tignes another. Neither has particularly easy transfers (nor in fairness particularly length). In January you have (we hope) much more option. For France - book your flights asap, look at Geneva or Lyon (or Grenoble or Chambery if you can) - GVA gets you the Portes du soleil, Chamonix, Flaine, Megeve, etc all within about an hour. You may find that if you get the timings right you can take a bus. Or a train.

Can't help on Austria. Italy worth a look. We've sneaky weekended to Champoluc, Morzine and Chamonix lots. Tignes a few times. Muerren a bit. LDA twice. Cortina once. Bacqueira once (long transfer, inconvenient flights).

Out of Geneva, avoid anywhere heading towards Verbier if your flight arrives anytime near Friday rush hour. Hideous traffic. Late night arrival fine though. Try and stay away from the last flights out though in either direction as if it goes tech, you'll be stuck till the morning.

I doubt you'll find a package of any sort that fits your budget. So DIY I would expect it to be.

Try Holiday Autos for car hire - although I found latterly that I was booking directly - if only to jump the queue with frequent renter's card. Most resorts will have reasonable priced 2* hotels. Just avoid any school holidays as they'll almost certainly scupper your plans.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Car hire is a no brainer - try Sixti.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman,

When we've done this in the past we've booked bargain basement accomodation for a whole week but only used it for the days that we're there. For example
[url=]http://www.interhome.co.uk/buchung/listcatalog.asp Interhome[/url]

They also do short breaks. As hd says, it's possible to get car hire v. cheap and then you can stay in cheaper accomodation that's not slope-side.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry can't get the link thingy to work. Website is:

www.interhome.co.uk
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hd, that is well cheap. That have loads of locatiosn too for all over the alps.

marmalade, again, cheap as chips. Just right for me as a tight Yorkshireman!! Smile

PSB sounds good, but with the missus being a bit of a shrinking violet (plus here not even knowing I want to do this) I'm not sure what the chances are of making it. Sounds good, even though the Mondial du Ski is (obviously) not for boarders, but it's just a case of convincing 'her indoors' that we can afford a trip this year!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sierra nevada Spain £40 return from liverpool to Granada in Dec incl taxes then 15 mins drive into Granada £22 per person per night 4* B&B 25 min drive to the village each morning I have a cheeky few days every year with my mates as well as the family hol not the biggest resort but ok for a few days
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Specialman, we've done a few long-weekends in and around Trois Vallees. Usually late season - FWIW we drove (from Banbury) as gave us the flexibility to go last minute and also stay further from resorts and choose where to ski. Saved all the hassle of car hire and transfers and added a boot full of cheap booze into the bargain!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Specialman, cant go wrong with booking cheap flights to GVA as suggested by David Murdoch, then deciding where to go much later

from there we have had great weekends in Courmayeur, La Thuile, Grand Massif, 3Vs, Chamonix and always managed to find well priced accom, all of these places should be fine in jan

in france, for the late nov/early dec trip tignes or LDA would be best bet, both a good 3hrs from GVA i think
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris, was looking at the TV for our main trip in Feb (Val Thorens) but that sounds like a good idea - could do a bit of recon before we pend 10 days there.

How long did it take to drive from Banbury and what arrangements did you make (ferry, times, stopovers)?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Specialman, pretty standard for us was:

Thursday night after work, drive to Ashford and stay in Travel Inn
Friday AM - early crossing on Channel Tunnel. Is a pretty easy 8hour drive from Calais to 3V - we would usually be in hotel by 4pm and would be getting lift passes etc sorted
Ski - Sat, Sun, Mon
Tuesday - early departure and would cross back around 6pm, getting back to Banbury 10ish

Often did this at the Easter weekend which meant only 1 day holiday required. Obviously if terrible weather drive may not be this smooth.

Won't suit everyone and sure you can ski more in fewer days with cunning arrangements of flights - this worked for us.
snow conditions
As Ray Zorro says, weekend ski trips are for the cash-rich, time-poor. Do a last minute week in low season; with just two of you you could almost certainly pick up a package considerably cheaper than a DIY trip; the car hire at Geneva seems to be getting more and more expensive.
latest report
Boris, that sounds like a good adventure, driving all the way. Might have to broach the subject with the missus... do the French have a law against killing your other half if she can't read a map though!!! Toofy Grin

pam w, I know what you're saying. I think I'm gonna have to think long and hard about what we want to do. I want to sort something as a bit of a surprise (and so she can't say no - a cunning plan methinks!!) but last minutes do sound tempting. DIY is fun though, and there's a sense of achievement when you get there in one piece!!! Very Happy
snow report
Specialman wrote:
PSB sounds good, but with the missus being a bit of a shrinking violet (plus here not even knowing I want to do this) I'm not sure what the chances are of making it. Sounds good, even though the Mondial du Ski is (obviously) not for boarders, but it's just a case of convincing 'her indoors' that we can afford a trip this year!!

I am heading out for the PSB, will be boarding and do not know anyone else either, have I made a mistake Sad ? ..... nah ..... Very Happy it is good chance to get a trip in before my sneaky mid December pre season trip, ..... fifty quid flights, cheap transfer, cheapish hotels.
snow conditions
Specialman, the mondial du snowboard should be on the previous weekend if you wanted to go out a bit earlier? Many PSBers are heading out on the Tuesday
latest report
The only thing I'd add to what's been posted, is early flights out and late flights back - these will enable you to ski the whole afternoon on day of arrival and the whole day on day of departure, thus maximising your skiing/cost ratio. Salzburg to Obertauern and Kaprun as per RZ's post, Turin to Milky Way, GVA as per DM's post above to PdS/Cham/Flaine, Basel to Engelberg would be my tips for such flights based on last years schedules.
latest report
i'd agree with the flight timings - choose a resrt that is 60 mins from the airport and fly in v early (easyjet to Geneva at 6am on Saturdays - can be on the slopes by 11) and fly home on a flight from 7pm (can ski to 4pm).

Budget about £25-30/day for a small car hire. If using Geneva Airport, hire from the swiss side as cars come as standard with snow tyres/chains and motorway tax

Had a great long w/e trip to Les Carroz (am slightly biased on this resort) last year - up at 3am for a cab to Gatwick for a 6am flight, land at Geneva at 08.30 local time, on the slopes by 10.30, ski all day, then apres, dinner, bars and the local nightclub until 3am! Didn't ski very hard the next day!
ski holidays
Liverpool to Granada on ryanair at the mo £30 return incl taxes wink snowHead
ski holidays
A weekend from the UK typically works out nearly as expensive as an entire week. They are not cheap. You still have to buy a flight, transfer and accommodation, which make up most costs. You might want to consider a 2-week stint -- this gives the best bang for your buck.

If you must go for a weekend, try Isola 2000. Very easy to get to from Nice, with reasonable skiing and nuff sun.
snow report
rayscoops, I really want to go but it's all down to whether the missus will come with me, or whether she'll let me go on me todd.

She's also got it in her head that we need to save up and we're on the breadline (not quite true yet!!!). Apparently, the house needs redecorating, the windows neeed doing, the garden needs to landscaped, so on and so on....

For those who are going to the PSB (can't be arsed to trawl through the posts on the PSB thread) roughly what's the total cost and how long is everyone going for? If it's reasonable then I can book it and surprise her without her wrath won't be so severe!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

the house needs redecorating, the windows neeed doing, the garden needs to landscaped, so on and so on....

None of which are essential wink

A holiday, for example skiing, helps your health in both mind and body
snow report
Boris, couldn't agree more...

... although the missus might see differently!!
snow report
Specialman,

Flight about £60

car hire share maybe around £50

hotel around £90

dunno about lift passes

most people going from 30th oct (tues) - 4th Nov (sun)

now, read the whole PSB post and start getting excited .....
latest report
holidayloverxx, cheers for that.

Had a look at easyjet.com this morning and got a price of £120 for me and the missus - good value me thinks.

It'd be about £550 for the two of us for the trip (flights, accomodation, car share, lift pass plus spending, or should I call it drinking money?), which is pretty good. Would be hard to find anything cheaper for a four-day stay methinks.

I'd have to sort out a lift with whoever's going from Geneva but it sounds good. Would just need to sort a lift to East Midlands from Rugby to save on parking... may have to call in a few favours!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Specialman,
Quote:

drinking money

You can never budget for that! Shocked
snow report
Specialman, Have you booked then? There''ll be loads of opportunity to hook up with a lift at GVA I expect, keep an eye on the thread and for buttons
ski holidays
maggi, Doh!! Forgot myself for a moment there Smile

holidayloverxx, not booked yet. Need to chat to her indoors and broach the subkject in the right manner to secure a positive response.
snow report
maggi wrote:
Specialman,
Quote:

drinking money

You can never budget for that! Shocked

This is very true, but last year the Lutins cost us EUR 350 for the two of us, Tues to Sun incl ca. EUR 100 bar bill. I seem to recall lift passes are cheaper because the skiing area is reduced? And of course evening meals but the take-away pizza place opposite the Lutins was stonkingly good for EUR 6
ski holidays
Specialman, it is easier to think about Euros as 'beer tokens' that are non refundable once purchased with Sterling ....... that way you are not actually spending money Very Happy
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
Specialman, it is easier to think about Euros as 'beer tokens' that are non refundable once purchased with Sterling ....... that way you are not actually spending money Very Happy

That's how I think of the money I get from the cashpoint over here Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
johnnyboy wrote:
rayscoops wrote:

That's how I think of the money I get from the cashpoint over here Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And I thought i was the only one who thought like this!! Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy