Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What board?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Oh my God it's another recommend me a board thread.

Currently I'm riding a Wild duck mountain 159, it's a generic all mountain board that I've had since I learnt to ride years ago. However, at 6ft 2 and 90kg it's slightly lacking in length.

Most of my riding is on piste with forays off the side and occasional proper off piste although this is something I want to increase. I tend to ride smoothly but aggresively, ability-wise I'm fairly confident I can get down any piste with some semblence of style and probably without falling. I "do" jumps but normally of natural hits and don't go in the park with no ambitions to go there in the future.

My plan is to come up with a short (long!) list of boards and then to demo as many as possible at the EoSB.

So far I've got:

K2 Reckon Riser
Ride Timeless (also recommended by another snowHead )
Palmer Crown (bit expensive)
Icon Asgard
Rome Design
Bataleon Undisputed

Does anyone have anything to say about these or any other ideas.

I love the look and thinking behind the Apo Swallow but don't get enough big powder days to justify it. I think in the long term I'm probably looking at going for an alpine set up and love the Sword freecaving boards that Nessy pointed me at on another thread but I don't think I'm ready to make that jump yet.

Cheers in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr Lizzard raves about the magnetraction edge system for grip on hard snow - look at Lib-Tech or Gnu.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a 2003 model Timeless and its a great Freeriding deck. Highly recommend one. Palmer, as good as they are, are simply too much money. Both Rome and Bataleon are very popular brands in the UK and are highly rated on snowboard forums. It is difficult to recommend one particular board as there are so many manufacturers producing quality snowboards. Its fantastic choice out there. If you can test a few and then decide,
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
donek
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have been on a Flow Infinite 163 which is a stiff and very stable all mountain board and I can honestly say that I have not caught an edge since I have bought it (20 days boarding this season) and I had only done 20 days on a board previous to buying it. It seems to drive through the wobbles Very Happy

I must try a Timeless though
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rad-air tanker.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Atomic Dreamraider http://www.atomicsnowboarding.com/dreamraider.php?pid=1&nid=11&c=0
From the riding you described I would go for that one, obviously after testing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly, I have a 2003 timeless and I love it....after a couple of days of use, my confidence on harder pistes had increased ten fold. you seem to have similar requirements to myself too.....then again, the timeless is only my 2nd board, so i don't have much to compare it to. Not sure if they newer Timeless has the same feel though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CANV CANVINGTON, how was the Donek?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stephen bleakley wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON, how was the Donek?

was and is different gear.. plus being a bit different, when people see it they assume you really know what your doing.. which of course couldnt be further from the truth.. !
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swirly - the Apo Family is a nice board, it has a longer nose so you'll have an easier time in the pow, and it's a high-end board so should suit your riding style. TBA also have one in 162 on sale from 06/07 Very Happy

I used to ride a T6, which is a harsh mistress but will thrive all over the hill - pretty much every manufacturer has thier own 'all mountain' board, which purports to perform as well on rails as it does launching off cliffs into the steep and deep, which is bollox. Bigger boards float easier in powder but you sacrifice edge hold, so will have to work a little harder on groomed snow. As long as your technique's halfway good, you'll appreciate the difference rather than hate it.

The question is: what do you want to do? Do you want to replace your wild duck, or get something wildly different to your existing ride? Longer, stiffer boards are better for stability at high speed - if thats what you want then there are plenty of options between what you have now and a full-on carving board.

Try the Volkl Selecta, which is available up to 175cm - it has a subtle but effective swallow-tail design, but is equally at home on piste. It has a huge turning radius and goes like a greased pig, but they are great fun!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swirly, I know it's not much in the way of poutting forward candidates for new boards, but if you're looking for somewhere to buy cheap boards, look at www.filarinskis.co.uk.

I'm looking for a new board for when I go to France I January and the selection that shop has is great. Good prices (I think most are 06/07 boards) and they do APO, Head, Salomon, Nitro... loads basically at well cheap prices.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Specialman, Thanks, I'd seen it although I still haven't got anything as they had none of the above boards in ValT in any of the shops that I saw (bit miffed at that)!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the best you can buy is a recon riser , i have a 165 nemesis and it rocks.
fast as a ...... anything else on the hill ,super stiff between the bindings , flexible at the tip and tail. take note though .. this is the nastiest most aggresive FREERIDE board that K2 build . buy a recon , spend the money , kill all who stand on it in lift lines,i was so protective of my shiny new stick when i bought it it was almost sad.
dont buy cheap if this is your main or only board , you do get what you pay for ,ive owned mine for 3 seasons ...its a little battered and bruised but then so am i. and its still faster than i can ride it.
BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT ......
B H M...........
-----------------------------
***************** Toofy Grin
PS
ive read just about every thing ever written about every different board out there thats suitable for me.
my riding style (or lack of it) sounds similar to what you do . no offence... i also have a lib tech powder board,but for day in day out ,all mountain you cant beat a k2.
read what they say on their web site and compare the tech speck against all others, sintered base carbon forks blah blah blah,etc etc . sad but true.
oh ,,, big thing in their favour RISER PLATES ..... EDGE HOLD LIKE ......... well you know the saying!!!!!!!!.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy