Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pole Straps/Self Arrest

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just watched the video clip lbt posted. WTF was that guy thinking?

WRT skis coming off or staying on surely it depends on the type of fall you have. If you are going slow and side slipping then if you do fall you are likely to remain with feet below you, and so having the skis on is a good thing. The minute you go A over T (particularly at speed) then you want the skis to come off to prevent further injury.

Just as a matter of interest if you knock the DIN settings up by 1, what difference does it make to the forces required to come out of the binding? I'm not sure that changing it up by 1 or 2 is going to make much of a difference if you stack big time anyway
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, a big fall they will come off anyway, it is just a matter of making the release require a stronger jerk. My normal now is between 7 1/2 and 8 for sideways release and half a point more for forward release. Less than that and the normal jolts of skiing crud or landing little unexpected jumps make them come off too often. They still come off very occasionally during ordinary skiing - but I imagine everyone who skis reasonably hard has that experience.
I also like a bit more forward flex from the boot so tend to do up the top cleat more loosely than the others.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowball, Is this the same story that is in Wayne Watsons Book?

All you lot should try steep slopes on a board. Confused 1 edge makes for some interesting moments, especially on a heelside traverse above a cliff...

Once in the "Valley of the kings" above Morgins, I was last seen doing a "reverse crab" down a steep couloir! Shocked Luckily I came to a stop at the bottom..

I also once saw my brother (on a board) lose an edge below me, he went over a blind roll - we had no idea if he was still alive - took him an hour to climb back up an icey slope to reach us.

I am now far more careful about what I ride and carry an axe on anything with exposure.,
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
norris, I don't know, I haven't read it. Most people have seen my Alagna story before so I hadn't given the reference.
Wayne wasn't there (it was in Alagna) but does know the guide and I sent my account of it to Alpine Experience because Giles Green who invented the boot-arrest method was an Alpine Experience guide.
If it might be the same story I'd be interested to see his version!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball, I hadn't read your Alagna experience - sounds like you had a lucky escape....

Wayne documents an incident he had on the North face of the Bellecotte. I have the book at home, will see if I can scan and post tonight.
There is a chapter on the Giles Green self arrest.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball,

I'd not seen that thread either...do you have enough pics to make up a mini TR..?

And my pack burst open last year after a fall...well, a tumble compared to yours, and I lost a few things so I now have it tied shut....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think I've rather done it to death on here. Anyway I lost the photos with the camera. I only have this one taken from several miles away looking back up the valley after the helicopter drop (it was about at the top right hand edge) and a few of the local houses and the helicopter landing. I have tried to mark what I think the route was. For scale the cliff is more than 1/2 km high.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball,

That looks from the Alagne side, IIRC. I will see if I can savage some shots from the Col du Lys down the front side.
We need something to keep us going ..Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alagna and the lifts are over the ridge to the left of pic. Which is Col du Lys, I can't remember.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball,

The Col (4200) is the classic heli drop point for a lot of descents. I haven't done that many but you can pop over to Zermatt from there down the glacier or you can ski down the front side and come out at Staffal. That glacier is pretty steep and rugged. If you go over to Zermatt most of it is about mileage so you might want to ask the guide what alternatives drops he has down that side. When we did it, the route was pretty classic and long and therfore not very steep and all we could do is look up at the sides and see great lines and a few tracks down these faces. The peaks and the ridge concerned would be around the Breithorn, Pollux etc etc leading across to the klein matterhorn. Otherwise it is a 65kms run which is all about getting back quickly enough. Do not fly later than 1030 latest to have a comfortable trip and not the manic hurry-up we had....!! Still great fun but there are better ways down that side from what I could see.

I am sure you can't see the Col from that side or if you can, I can't make it out ftom that pic.
It looks to me that your line would come down from above the Punta Indren drags ....... only got into Balma from there and the drags were never running there anyway...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did one years ago which ended up as Saas Fee - not sure if that was the same start point (looked like you could go any direction).

Victoria is one or two peaks further up the same ridge as Malfatta couloir.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy