Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice/opinions needed for Switzerland.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.
Fairly new to this forum and it's GREAT. You lot snow your stuff Laughing
So I'm seeking your opinions......

BHM and I will have been married for 10 years at the end of March 08 so are looking to plan a ski trip to celebrate this. I know, I know EASTER !!!!! It's never been at the end of March in the last 10 years and isn't for at least the next 7 - I checked !!!! Curses. But never mind.

We are looking at Switzerland - only place we've never been.
Resort shorlist is Zermatt, Davos, Klosters, Wengen or Grindlewald.
Requirements are
NOT Child fiendly ( sorry to any parents)
200km + area
Good intermediate runs and off piste
Good hotels/food/beer

I would really value your opinions on Hotels to avoid or do.
And any resorts suitable I may have missed.........
And which to pick !!!!!

Thanks ever so much
Minx wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bhmandminx, I only know Zermatt, but it ticks all your boxes. The Ambassador Hotel (4*) near the Gonergrat station is nice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks laundryman. Will check The Ambassador out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sunstar Park is a fine hotel in Davos. They get a lot of repeat business. Food is very good. It has a nice pool and various 'wellness' bits and pieces too. I really like the resort. It is a fine big place with plenty of intermediate stuff. They know how to look after folk. It is no coincidence that the World Economic Forum freeloaders go there. It is not particularly noted for the number children skiing - though I think they stop short of hunting them down.

I have been to the other places as well. Wengen, Grindlewald Murren is probably about the size you are after when you tot it all up. It is intermediate stuff.

Zermat/Cervinia is big enough and there is plenty of intermediate terrain and easy stuff in Italy.

Adelboden is good too - maybe slighty under 200km. They are not sufficiently hostile to kids for your purposes. Kids even have there own little practice areas dotted around the resort.

I would recommend fly rail for Switzerland>Check you bags in at the UK airport and pick them up at the hotel. You can enjoy an unencumbered train journey to your resort and stop off en route for sightseeing etc if you wish - Zurich and Berne are both worth a mooch around.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This line

Quote:
been married for 10 years at the end of March 08 so are looking to plan a ski trip to celebrate this

tells me it has to be Zermatt.

I would be interested to learn anyone put forward another alternative if he/she has been to Zermatt before and knows the score.

It is clean, neat, big, Matterhorn, stunning scenery, romantic setting, mountain railway, cross country to Italy...........

I left it quite late to visit Zermatt and could only afford to stay in the Italian side but if it is for a treat then this got to be the place.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bhmandminx, Zermatt definitely ticks all your boxes. The Jungfrau region is very pretty etc and good for intermediates , not sure about what the conditions are like at Easter though - but I did get the impression they are pretty child friendly. Zermatt is more for adults IMHO - good Apres, restaurants etc Most of the hotels should be good, but location could be more of an issue depending on what you require. Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bhmandminx,
Personally I think Davos has the better skiing between it and Zermatt but Zermatt is rather more spectacular as a resort. I've only skied Jungfrau for a week a long time ago and preferred the others but it's still quite a stunning area.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bhmandminx, hi and congratulations!
I would also say Zermatt for a special occasion like that. I've been to Wengen and Grindelwald too, and they're great, but there's nowhere else quite like Zermatt for beauty I think Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would take Davos over Zermatt and I have stayed in Zermatt.

Plenty of great mountain restaurants in Davos too. You could always do a day trip to St Moritz by rail, though I prefer Davos to St Moritz as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Go to St Moritz.

It is the best allround ski resort in the world.

It is better than Zermatt and Davos-Klosters.

You will find a significantly wealthier, classier crowd than more or less any station on the planet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zermatt, hands down.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold, Snow is better in Davos than St Moritz.

'Classier crowd' ? Only if you consider vulgar American parvenus to be a classy crowd.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Alex Hotel in Zermatt or Eiger in Murren. From Zermatt you can ski to Cervinia for the day and from Murren you have Wengen and Grindelwald as ski areas but personally I would give Grindelwald a miss. The Eiger hotel have a great website and webcam.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone.
We've gone for Zermatt. Can't wait.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bhmandminx, Good call! I love some of the other places too, but as most people have said, Zermatt and its magic mountain are special. Hope you have a fantastic time! Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy