Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vail - enough for nine days skiing????

Poster: A snowHead
Got a wicked deal for Vail for ten nights - nine days skiing. Me and partner are int/adv skiiers but never had the opportunity fpr that much off piste. I know there is a lot of lift accessed off piste in vail but is there enough mileage to keep us going for nine days bearing in mind we've been to large scale European resorts (but never covered all the terrain before!!)??

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes should be fine, if you find it's restrictive there are plenty of other places to ski close by.....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did 2 weeks there and didn't scratch the surface, the back bowls are amazing, the snow is fantastic and dry and it's just a magnificent place. If you get bored you could spend half a day on the bobsleigh run or take the short hop over to Beaver Creek which I really enjoyed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I feel you're asking the wrong question.

Sure, Vail has lots of pisted runs, but that's not why people rave about Vail.

Take a lesson, if neccessary. But DO go off-piste.

If you only want to stay on piste, stay in Europe. It's not worth flying all the way over just to ski the same, only smaller.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sage advice abc, I think both myself and partner want to start hitting the off piste and as far as I can Vail is well suited. You've confirmed my thoughts cheers
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
willd wrote:
Got a wicked deal for Vail for ten nights - nine days skiing. Me and partner are int/adv skiiers but never had the opportunity fpr that much off piste. I know there is a lot of lift accessed off piste in vail but is there enough mileage to keep us going for nine days bearing in mind we've been to large scale European resorts (but never covered all the terrain before!!)??

Cheers

In most North American ski hills, the trails represent a small percentage of the skiable terrain. It's all about exploring off trail, and Vail has some great bowls and trees to explore. There's a huge amount of terrain, but you have to go find it - get a lesson/guide, or just follow locals/tracks and you'll end up in places of fun! And when it snows, hit the back bowls early to get fresh lines and before the sun bakes the pow and makes it heavy.

Use trails only to get on and off lifts

It's a different attitude to Euro mega-resorts piste skiing. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 14-07-07 22:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gortonator wrote:
willd wrote:

Cheers

In most North American ski hills, the trails represent a small percentage of the skiable terrain. It's all about exploring off trail, and Vail has some great bowls and trees to explore. There's a huge amount of terrain, but you have to go find it - get a lesson/guide, or just follow locals/tracks and you'll end up in places of fun! And when it snows, hit the back bowls early to get fresh lines and before the sun bakes the pow and makes it heavy.

Use trails only to get on and off lifts

It's a different attitude to Euro mega-resorts piste skiing. Very Happy

Have you ever been to the Arlberg? There is more Lift served off Piste/Back Country than any resort in North America.

In fact the groomed pistes are just there to get you to the Off -Piste Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Check out Beaver Creek too
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:

Have you ever been to the Arlberg? There is more Lift served off Piste/Back Country than any resort in North America.

In fact the groomed pistes are just there to get you to the Off -Piste Very Happy

I have, and it is quite wonderful, as are most European resorts I've been to in good snow conditions. But the off-trail is not avie-controlled, which is a big difference. Obviously it's pretty easy to find places that are safe a lot of the time, but guides and gear are needed for a lot of terrain that in North America is controlled.

So it's different, not better/worse. Could do with more trees tho Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gortonator wrote:
Could do with more trees tho Smile

We def got to much acid rain in Europe Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am with gortonator, the difference is not in the terrain but in the "attitude".

-- Because of the aggresive avi control, more terrain are available for the average skier in N. America after a storm. (In N. America, the concept of "off-piste" doesn't exist.)
-- Without need for guides and avi kits, most powder will get tracked out rather quickly in ALL N. America. Not so in many European resorts, with a few exceptions. So it's good and bad for each.
-- Also in N. America, they leave a lot of the piste un-groomed after a storm. As a result, (soft) moguls forms. Again, depending on your "attitude", it can be seen as "better" or "worse".

There're a lot more...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:
I am with gortonator, the difference is not in the terrain but in the "attitude".

-- Because of the aggresive avi control, more terrain are available for the average skier in N. America after a storm. (In N. America, the concept of "off-piste" doesn't exist.)
-- Without need for guides and avi kits, most powder will get tracked out rather quickly in ALL N. America. Not so in many European resorts, with a few exceptions. So it's good and bad for each.
-- Also in N. America, they leave a lot of the piste un-groomed after a storm. As a result, (soft) moguls forms. Again, depending on your "attitude", it can be seen as "better" or "worse".

There're a lot more...

I know how it is in NA I been skiing all over there appx 28yrs inc 3 seasons Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, for me the higher tree line is the big difference in the US.

willd, In the very unlikely event of you getting really bored, you can drive about an hour to the summit county resorts, but I would prefer to stay in vail, with a day maybe in Beaver Creek.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the feedback guys, couple of questions.

1. With the controlled backcountry do you still need transievers etc or is it safe as in piste safe. Never skiied much off piste so wondering whether to get tuition and extra equipment.

2. Is it best to buy this kit or hire it.

cheers
ski holidays
willd, for the inbounds off-piste, you don't need avy kit. If you are going outside the ski area, then you do.
Basically, if the bowls and BSB are open, then they are considered safe.
It is worth getting a lesson or two when you are out there, apart from anything else, an instructor will probably take you places you might not have gone on your own.
snow report
willd wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, couple of questions.

1. With the controlled backcountry do you still need transievers etc or is it safe as in piste safe. Never skiied much off piste so wondering whether to get tuition and extra equipment.

2. Is it best to buy this kit or hire it.

cheers

As long as you're in bounds, the 'if you can see it, you can ski rule' applies. All safe. It's pretty obvious when you get there. There's lines and locals everywhere, so check out some lines that don't look too scary and get practicing. Off the trails is where the fun is, believe me Madeye-Smiley.

And it opens up a huge ski area. You can find terrain you like off a chair, and do laps for a while picking different lines each time. Different mentality to Euro piste skiing/touring, but I'm sure you'll get used to it!
ski holidays
willd wrote:

Cheers

Vail has circa 300km of onpiste.

It has 3 or 4 backbowls and plenty of offpiste.

The onpiste is not as extensive as, say, the 3 Valleys (600km). The offpiste is less commonplace than, say, St Anton and Verbier.

But there is still more than enough to keep most people occupied for 9 days.
snow report
Another question for vail'ers. Read a review which moaned about lift queues. Are they bad or just bad by USA standards. I have never been to the states and was under the impression that generally queues in the states are smaller than france etc etc. Someone please tell me I have been missinformed.

cheers Will
snow report
willd, they can be bad by US standards at times, but not bad by Euro ones.
latest report
Is half an hour "bad" bu Euro standard? How about 20 min?

It is consider "bad" by US standard.
snow conditions
willd wrote:
Another question for vail'ers. Read a review which moaned about lift queues. Are they bad or just bad by USA standards. I have never been to the states and was under the impression that generally queues in the states are smaller than france etc etc. Someone please tell me I have been missinformed.

cheers Will

I was there early/mid Feb, so not peak season, but quite busy as snow/weather were excellent. Midweek there are a couple of choke points as everyone heads up the front side lifts about 9am - longest line we had was maybe 10 mins at one lift up to top of ridge. Then once over into the back bowls, no waiting at all at any lift and rest of day clear everywhere.

I'm sure if you're there at Xmas/NY or Presidents week, or maybe late Feb/March (is that high season?), it may be busier? So when ya going?

But at most ski hills with a bit of planning its easy to avoid crowds. Get to the lifts at 8.30, straight over to back bowls, ski hard until 11 when crowds get there. Have lunch. Come out at 12 when everyone else has lunch, etc etc. Such tactics rarely fail anywhere, and you get the best snow - we employ them at Whistler and never wait in line.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
willd, for the inbounds off-piste, you don't need avy kit. If you are going outside the ski area, then you do.
It is worth getting a lesson or two when you are out there, apart from anything else, an instructor will probably take you places you might not have gone on your own.

Wasn't there a fatal inbounds avalanche at Loveland last season? (on the trail, not off piste)
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Wasn't there a fatal inbounds avalanche at Loveland last season? (on the trail, not off piste)

poo-poo happens - and i seem to remember people dying on-piste from avis in Europe too on occasions.

Trees and tree wells are much more dangerous inbounds in NA than avis. And other people ...
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:

Arapahoe Basin in 2005: http://3w.skipressworld.com/news_detail.php?id=6146&regionId=2&languageId=1&section=news&type=news&mode=read&filter=&sort=
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy