Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing at New Year ?

Poster: A snowHead
I have never been skiing at Christmas or New Year but have often considerd it. For 2008/09 it's a real possibility, probably leaving the day after boxing day on Sat 27 Dec for a week.

Some drawbacks I can see:
Sad it's going to cost a bit more than at other times of year.
Sad it's going to be a bit busier at other times of year.
Sad the snow pack won't have built up as much as other times of year.
Sad ... so the choice of resorts is somewhat limited
Sad nasty busy airports

But on the bright side:
Very Happy it's new year = good atmosphere, happy people, flowing booze

What have I missed? Has anyone tried a (family) holiday for this week of the year and loved / hated it? Please try to create more equilibrium by adding more Very Happy's to the list above

If you've done it would you do it again ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We normally go skiing at Christmas and/or New Year. Always enjoyed it, with a nice atmosphere around the resort and on the slopes. Your drawbacks are accurate, but I've never been in the position when there's not been enough snow to ski, even in years when there hasn't been a good start to the season snow-wise. As for adding Very Happys the only one of any value is that you will be skiing - what more do you need Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A wise man once said :
Quote:

As for adding Very Happy 's the only one of any value is that you will be skiing - what more do you need
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
masmith, If you are going to France - the Christmas week is usually a bit less busy than new year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
masmith,
I have been several times and always enjoyed it. The worry about bad snow is a concern though its been pretty good for me. If it gets me skiing when I would not be otherwise I wouldn't hesitate. If it is to replace another skiing holiday I would rather go when the prices are cheaper and the snow more reliable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ski, could be France, but think Austria would be favourite, but it won't be Christmas week - it has to be the new year week for family reasons.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went to Italy last year flew into Milan on Jan 24th slopes were busy but snow was good. Drove to to Milan for new years and a bit of shopping then out on Jan 1st

it was a good trip
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ajbaldwin wrote:
flew into Milan on Jan 24th... then out on Jan 1st

Gosh, that was clever! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nearly a years skiing wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
masmith, Yes we went last Christmas,
Very Happy No nasty busy airports, (we drove)!
Very Happy snow was cr*p but enough to ski on!
Very Happy It was lovely and sunny all week!
Very Happy Plenty of snow sure resorts to choose from!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy And New year will be great 'cos I'm Going!! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
masmith, we go every Christmas and have done for years. A couple of times we stayed for the New Year week as well (before children when we weren't always broke). The best New Year's Eve I've ever had in my life was in Mayrhofen. Talk about a party Laughing Cool Madeye-Smiley I don't think you get the same atmosphere anywhere else as in Austria - it's certainly not the same in France.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went at Christmas last year to Arraba. On piste the snow was OK, off piste was non existant. It wasn't busy. It was sunny all week. Going again this year, but over New Year.

Went to Arc 2000 over New Year on my first ever skiing trip. Was busy, but no where near as busy as Feb half term. New Years day was brilliant. I got out as soon as the lifts opened and was skiing the reds down into Arc1800 on almost untracked corduroy - think I shared the piste with about 5 people Smile. Was busier later in the day -presumably by then more folks had recovered from their hangovers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've always enjoyed it - like everyone says, the atmosphere makes up for the other disadvantages.
It's either been the two of us or a group of friends before (Whistler, Avoriaz, Chamonix)

but this year we had a big family do for everyone at the chalet (older, non-skiing in-laws, family friends, my brother and his family (aged 10, 12 and 15) and slightly to my surprise, it was a huge success Smile I'd definitely do it again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

but this year we had a big family do for everyone at the chalet (older, non-skiing in-laws, family friends, my brother and his family (aged 10, 12 and 15) and slightly to my surprise, it was a huge success I'd definitely do it again.

This is probably the secret of making a success of a New Year holiday. It's a party, a get together with family and friends, in a completely different environment and with skiing as a major bonus. Not a holiday which would be ruined by not being able to ski the whole time on a range of different pistes. The other big plus is that it is such a grim affair in the UK it's great to escape.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is all very tempting. For the first time ever we might be able to go away for Christmas - usually we have one or other Mum or both, but my Mum passed away this year and his Mum has a choice of three other sons to visit. Definitely tempting...

Hmmm....

Anyone been to 3V for Christmas?
ski holidays
docsquid wrote:
Anyone been to 3V for Christmas?

Yes, several times. Always a nice atmosphere around the resort, especially as saisonnaires are still happy to be there rather than jaded at the end of the season. Courchevel has a good reputation for snow management so on a couple of occasions when the snow was poor elsewhere (including Meribel) it was OK in Courchevel.
latest report
masmith, personally skied at least for the few days around N.Y. if not the week for the last 8 years - Morzine for 4, Champoluc for 4. Always a great holiday, not always great skiing (but who cares?).

As Nike suggest, JDI.
ski holidays
Totally agree with David Murdoch, we've been skiing sometime over Christmas/NY for the past 6 years and always had a great time Very Happy A couple of years ago we took Mrs C's parents for their first ski trip and they really enjoyed it. Much betteer than hanging around in the UK after Christmas waiting for NY.

Been to 3Vs, La Plagne and last year we skied various resorts around Mont Blanc and had a brilliant time. I think all the reports of no snow had put many off so the slopes weren't too busy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy