Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beach and Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Last February I had a beach / ski holiday 4 days beach at Malaga, one week in Granada with 4 days skiing at Serria Nevada + 4 days on Costa Blanca.

Where can I do this this year.
California/Lake Tahoe? How warm are Los Angeles and San Francisco in the last week in January?

Any other suggestions gratefully received. With my job I can only take holidays November to April so some beach time would be nice
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Los Angeles is quite warm in Jan though beach takes a hardier soul (and body). You can easily fly from Reno to LA in an hour for cheap. San Diego is not far from LA and is warm enough to play on the beach. Or you can go further south into Baja California, it gets even warmer.

San Francisco can get quite rainy in Jan., so it's not quite beach weather. But if you've never visited, you might want to stop over nonetheless.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cyrpus, Turkey. Sochi, Israeil, Lebanon,Morocco, LA
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think you can glacier ski in New Zealand in the morning, fly back to Christchurch, and lie in the sun on New Brighton beach in the afternoon. Well, it's a dream I have long had!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Managed it a few years ago in Cyprus in January. Ski in the Troodos in the morning (melting by dinner time) Off to the beach in the afternoon. It's not often you can do that though as it seems it is either too warm for good snow or too cold for the beach. I reckon you have to be lucky to get the right balance.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm nice idea Smile I wonder if you could do it anywhere in Switzerland? Maybe a few days swimming in the lakes and then finish up on the glacier in Zermatt/Saas Fee? If you had a bit of luck with the weather, you could probably do it in June or October...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it's possible in Corsica, don't think there are any lifts though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marmalade wrote:
I think it's possible in Corsica, don't think there are any lifts though.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Ski-Areas/Corsica

otherwise Alpes Maritmes although the med is very cold in april.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
firebug, it would take a hardier soul than me to swim in any Swiss lakes outside July/August Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
By far the easiest is Isola 2000. It is less than 2 hours from Nice and the surrounding beaches. Plenty of cheap flights and cheap hirecars.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, since we're all over the globe, how about skiing in Japan and beach in Thailand?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can occasionally do it in Siciliy, if you can brave swimming in the Med. in April.

(© Mike Lyvers)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
II, For an unconventional suggestion, you can ski Mammoth in California, and then a few hour's drive takes you to the warmth of Death Valley (Average Max temp for Feb is 72 deg F) . You can stay at Furnace Creek Ranch. Alernatively a bit further on is Lake Mead near Las Vegas, which has some beaches.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
II,
You can get from the Pyrenees to the Cote Basque pretty easily. No idea what the temperatures would be like though. If I had the money I think abc, 's idea is about the most appealing. (Asian one that is)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
T Bar wrote:
II,
If I had the money I think abc, 's idea is about the most appealing. (Asian one that is)

Well, he was asking about Tahoe, which is a long (and expensive) way to get to, and expensive to stay. I'm not sure if Japan + Thailand is that much more expensive than that. (I know Thailand is fairly inexpensive while Japan is probably on par with Tahoe?)
snow report
abc,
I don't disagree, I was just trying to clarify which idea appealed most to me. snowHead
snow conditions
T Bar, you mean if you have "his money"... wink
latest report
abc,
I'll grab the money snowHead

II,
If you are prepared to wait till April Ryanair do direct flights Prestwick- Marseilles (weekend service)
Marseilles is within reasonable reach of quite a few of the southern French Alpine resorts (2Alpes being the one that has the highest skiing) It is obviously on the Med and lots of resorts within easy reach.
snow conditions
Arachova or Kalavrita in Greece. The first (and the largest ski area in Greece) is half an hour drive to the seaside, the latter (probably second best) is 45 mins from the beach. Korinthean Gulf is not very warm in Jan-Feb though, but there might be enough sun and warm air to allow for some sunbathing.

A week ago I climbed up to the top of Etna for the second time in my life, and as Rob suggests, it will be a good target in Europe. In shadowy places there were still more than a meter thick snow/ice coverage. There are two functioning lifts, three other ones were destroyed in the last big eruption. Also, for a one off off-piste experience, you could take the cable car up to the observatory in the winter and ski it down. The top is at 3,300 metres, but getting there in the winter can be difficult, because I was told by the local guide that the snow may be up to three metres. The observatory is at 2,800. And, it is less than an hour from Naxos-Giardini holiday centre and hour and a half max from Taormina, from where Rob's picture is.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 11-07-07 13:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
abc,
I'll grab the money snowHead

II,
If you are prepared to wait till April Ryanair do direct flights Prestwick- Marseilles (weekend service)
Marseilles is within reasonable reach of quite a few of the southern French Alpine resorts (2Alpes being the one that has the highest skiing) It is obviously on the Med and lots of resorts within easy reach.

I don't know who has swum in the med in April (or earlier) but it is damn cold although sitting in a sheltered beach cafe can be very pleasant any time of the winter. Les Deux Alpes may be described as being within reasonble reach of Marseille if you live in Prestwick... but not if you live in Marseille. The nearest route over the Lauteret (a 2000m alpine pass the closes during bad weather) is 330km and takes 4 hours on a good day. Most of the other Southern Alps resorts will be closing early in April although I've skied some excellent conditions in Super Devoluy (and swum in the med in the evening).
ski holidays
davidof,
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
I drove up to Monetier (Serre Che) last year from Marseille and thought you could get up to 2 Alpes in about the same time from Gap didn't realise you had to over Col Lautaret.
Serre Che usuallu has good skiing early April though so I guess that is possible.

Alternatively from Prestwick pre April you could fly to Grenoble How fare is that from the coast by Autoroute?
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
davidof,
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
I drove up to Monetier (Serre Che) last year from Marseille and thought you could get up to 2 Alpes in about the same time from Gap didn't realise you had to over Col Lautaret.
Serre Che usuallu has good skiing early April though so I guess that is possible.

Alternatively from Prestwick pre April you could fly to Grenoble How fare is that from the coast by Autoroute?

It's a case of Bonnet Blanc, Blanc Bonnet as we say around these parts. Laughing
It is about 3 hours to the coast.

Dont' get me wrong, it is all possible but you might just as well ski the Nevis range then take a dip down at Fort William.
ski holidays

This is Heavenly
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy