Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many types of turn are there?

Poster: A snowHead
slikedges, Maybe it's useful to think of terrain and then turns type. Different terrain & snow needs different turns depending on the level of skier and what they are trying to do - have fun or just survive Very Happy

That way you can classify the most appropriate turn type to a given terrain & snow combination. The tools to do the job.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scarpa, was my first real discovery of "sport" other than a gym....

My coach was very cool old guy - French Master of Arms... he appreciated my determination and took to trying to help me... with his aid I finally learnt (at 34 years of age) to JUMP (vertical jump more than about 2 inches)... The fencing really helped my co-ordination of my hands and arms... I fenced foil mostly (john was UK triweapons champion IIRC and coached all three) with a little epee - no sabre...

the thing I discovered (eventually) was that I was much better at tactics than all my friends...

eventually my friends saw the improvements I made and started taking more lessons and training more (which made john happy) because they figured if it could help me it would help them (My taking out of the club left hander - quite quick young guy but no brains at all - aided the above changes of heart... I am slow as a wet week with zip reflexes - I was using his own speed and his assumptions of how right handers fight left handers to make him beat himself)

the "focus" thing was the coolest though - I could plan a defence... shove it into my mind - then put it aside... and when the attack came (as I had envisaged) my body would take over and it would all happen in slow motion...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I never really got to that level with sabre. That weapon is just so fast. Most matches are over in seconds, and were a hell of a job to preside over. Try calling the sequence when it was all over in the flick of a wrist hehehe.

In foil my fav move was the envelopment and the lovely spiral in to their chest. With the sabre a ballestra with a double feint to get them on the back foot. Very rare to have that much time though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarpa, I was hopeless at the movement - but very good at the tactics... One of my friends was pretty natural athlete... he used to tell me what the opponent used to get him and I'd devise tactics for him to use their favourite move against them.... he started to get the idea but was just not that great at it himself... we needed my brain in his body!

I could take out the lefty because he would just keep on with the same attacks - even once I had used them back against him over and over... took him months to learn to NOT fall for it... (and he had to give in and take the private lessons he had been resisting for 2 years so John could teach him Wink )

the zone stuff was weird - because once I had planned the defense i wanted for their attack (and my followup attack) I could really just DO IT - all pre programmed... so the stuff I was not able to track consciously I could do automatically... and the slow motion that would result was weird... I could hit people I should not have got anywhere near...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah - I know what you mean. I prefered to wait for the opponents move (I am not Mr aggressive) but in sabre this would usually result in a loss. So I had to learn to attack as soon as you heard the word... but in a very planned manner.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy, I fully agree, that may indeed be a useful way of approaching it. Would you agree though that there's usually more than one enjoyable way of skiing any given condition/terrain?

That could mean picking a line. That could then mean picking the tool (a muscle memory learned turn, a premixed blend of posture/steering, a familiar friend) from the toolbox which is most fit for purpose, and adjusting body management/ steering/control/flow for the realities encountered on the journey down?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, skimottaret, Wonderful! I've only ever done it by accident myself. Shocked Jet turns - huh.

slikedges, I'm not sure that all good skires would do the same turn int he same place. I think it depends on your personality far more. Natural turns? Mine is deffo a slight step when I'm not actually aware of what I'm doing. Hang over from the old days. Shocked I used to like to do short turns, but now I'm getting older and have less energy I only do them in lessons - medium radius is fine these days! Shocked Shocked I will write to you by PM in a week or so.

To throw names into the mix: plough turn, stem turn, stem christie, basic swing (not the same thing), basic parallel turn, refined parallel turn, stem step turn, parallel step, skating step, shear swing (austrian), lower ski drift, compression turn, retraction turn, jet turn, short swing (all types). These are what I can think of off the top of my head, but what most of them have in common is that they are out of date! Basically, these days, we don't think about particular names and types of turn. You should have learned to ski 30 years ago. wink wink wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slikedges wrote:
Would you agree though that there's usually more than one enjoyable way of skiing any given condition/terrain?

That could mean picking a line. That could then mean picking the tool (a muscle memory learned turn, a premixed blend of posture/steering, a familiar friend) from the toolbox which is most fit for purpose, and adjusting body management/ steering/control/flow for the realities encountered on the journey down?[/quote]

For sure, and the easier the ground the more choice you have. When the ground gets tricky, choice becomes more 'focused' - maybe even not choosing a turn at all. Side Slip is an excellent 'get out of jail' tool Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Jet turns - huh

easiski,

an instructor named Martin Hecklemen (sp) was very pleased with himself on a video named "ski tips 2" back around early 90's with his "jet turn" which i thought even as a newby skier was really, really useless and stupid. Going through bumps he would ski the troughs and "jet" his legs forward get his weight way back and try to hit the front of the next bump.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, I don't think all of them do, but I do think of all the turns you would see, maybe a couple would stand out in any combo of snow/slope as being used more often. Your list is indeed obsolete, but I think they've been replaced by a whole load of new turns distinguished by being a preformulated blend of posture and steering (each skill subject to magnitude, duration, onset and release timing), waiting to be classified by someone who knows more about skiing/is a better skier than me!

david@mediacopy, again, totally agree. I find off piste I've often had to use the turn I've chosen, though by my definition on another thread wink , an expert would still have had a choice. Side slipping - sooo important; even better side-scraping (active feet power side slip!).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
martin heckelman from step by step skiing skills 1989
skimottaret, martin heckelman from step by step skiing skills 1989
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges, thats the guy, note weight back, arms back. guess it musta worked back then Confused
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, dammit, I knew I shouldn't've just read books my local library had rolling eyes wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From my limited ski experience it seems variables/parameters of a turn type are perhaps being mistaken for being a different turn entirely.

for example I can on a good day carve either in a crouched position, low down, of standing more upright with knees still bent. In both cases I'm carving but the sensation and weight distribution will be different in the crouched down position compared to the other.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PisteHead, no, esp if the line were the same I think I'd probably classify that as one turn, unless eg you were only railing the second one. I'm talking about turns with distinctly different premixes of steering and other fundamentals, but common to many skiers.
latest report
slikedges, if you want to do it that way then split the turn into start, middle and end. And ask the questions:
1. How do I start a turn?
Skis parallel? Skis wedged? Start by tipping? Start by twisting? Start by pressing? Start by a combination?...

2. In the middle of the turn...
Am I on 1 edge? 2 Edges? No edges? Tipping more? Twisting more? Pressing more?...

3. At the end of the turn...
Am I on 1 edge? 2 Edges? No edges? Tipping more? Twisting more? Pressing more? Trying to get off the edges?...
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, now that's more like it, now ya cookin'. See, my idea was to put down some turns first then work out exactly what you've said there about them. Very Happy
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, slikedges, In reality though turns happen so quickly although you can analyse the points of them after the event, can you realistically think your way through them at the time? I don't know if I could.
snow conditions
Megamum, believe it or not, you sort of can. With short turns you think about how much of what and when, do it, feel how it went, feedback and do it again only better. You can also feel and adjust steering during the turn and esp easily during a medium or longer radius turn. If you're not worried about staying upright or your posture/balance/flow or snow/terrain adjustments, you certainly have time to think about adjusting steering skills (pressure, edge, rotation) which you already know how to fine tune. You'll be able to do this with a bit of practise. Very Happy
latest report
Martin Heckelman scares me,
How about you?
He shouldn't be that scary
He's only five foot two

etc etc
with apologies to David Ippolito

anyone who remembers "Tea for Two" will know what I'm talking about Toofy Grin
latest report
Yoda, tea for two does bring back shudders with Martin's odd accent was it english/ austrian or ??? Shocked
latest report
slikedges, I should probably add in the questions about skis being parallel/wedged (converging or diverging) in parts 2 & 3.
Then you'd also add in how much weight/pressure/forces... are on each ski at each part of the turn.

To define the 3 parts:
Start of turn: from facing across the slope, or from the completion of the last turn, until approaching the fall line.
Middle of turn: Just before entering the fall line until just after coming out of it.
End of turn: From the middle until you have completed the turn and are at the same speed but facing the opposite way from the previous turn.
snow conditions
slikedges, Are you saying that I shouldn't be using Ski Tips 1 to 4 as my training guide. And to think that I was going to try the new shaped skis next time out. wink
Very Happy

Paul M is still wearing a MH style jacket he bought from e-bay!

Embarassed
ski holidays
skimottaret, Jet turns are fun.

How many turns are there? Easy answer.

One.

Everything else is simply a variation.

Bit like "How many ways are there to play a piano". And before you get all pedantic, "badly" doesn't count.
snow report
David Murdoch, might be fun but they DO look a bit weird. Cant find my copy of Ski tips 2 so can t rmember exact technique, but i will definately be trying to perfect the worm turn as a goal for this year, might as well add the jet turn as well Toofy Grin
latest report
skimottaret, how about the slow noodle?
latest report
David Murdoch, don't know that one, do tell
snow conditions
The slow dog noodle was invented by Robert "Boogie" Mann during a k2 HotDog contest on Aspen Mountain, sometime in the very early seventies. The term combines hot dog, with slow speed, with the dynamics of a noodle.

http://www.dickbarrymore.com/book4.asp

The move was subsequently popularised by Wanye Wong (alongside the Wong Banger, Worm Turn, etc).

The following extract from Weems:
Quote:
Gnarlito and Mudfoot come pretty close to describing it accurately when you combine their descriptions. It's simply a retraction/extension turn in the bumps done at an incredibly slow tempo. The real slow/noodle part is where the skier's legs seem to collapse as the skis ride up the back of the bump, and the knees come right up to chest level with the torso first folding forward, then because of the leverage on the pole, being left quite far behind. The skis almost come to a stop, then pivot over the crest and start down the hill while the torso extends forward to prepare for the next absorption. If done well the pole is forward at the plant, but stays in the snow for so long (holding the skier up and acting as a fulcrum point) that the hand and pole really end up quite far back. In those days everyone skied like that in bumps (only faster and better). We used to really rip at the pecs and arms in this move. I found that longer poles ( I learned it from Tom Leroi) worked better because the pole plant could support from behind while still keeping the hands more forward. I had 56" poles.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it would've been easier to be there to see it!

WayneC,
Quote:
...I was going to try the new shaped skis next time...

Work of the devil Shocked wink

Wear The Fox Hat, valiant effort, but I'm gonna mothball this and try again when I've got enough time/experience to work it out
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy