Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Levels of skier revisited - come on, admit it - we all do it, but why?

Poster: A snowHead
abc, any chance of you at ESA-stowe next season?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc, Happy knitting! I've enjoyed indulging in amateur logic with you. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex wrote:
abc, any chance of you at ESA-stowe next season?
My off the cuff answer is no. I don't usually start skiing before Christmas.

But, if the winter starts early (read: cold or very snowy). Then, I might have my bike/kayak season brutally cut short. In that case, I would have no choice but to start skiing. Wink Under such condition, Stowe ESA would be considered.

Much more likely, though, I'm eyeing ESA at Big Sky end of March. If I get the ok for time-off, I'm also quite likely need to start saving money for THAT instead of Stowe ESA. Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anything you can be good or bad at can be ranked. Anything that can be attractive or 'plain' can be ranked. You lot might not like the idea of being wittingly or unwittingly ranked by others when you ski/put your face on, but I don't need to tell you it's happening everytime anyone sees you ski/get on a bus. Get used to it. Cool Whether we should rank or not, whilst clearly a matter of some fervent opinion is actually irrelevant because it's a natural part of us so we'll do it anyway. The thing is that imho it's the insecurities of some, and in others their perplexing need to rush to the defence of these poor dears, which makes ranking unPC, even when the ranked party is quite uninjured/unoffended. Even if ranking is at least in part about ego, so what? What's wrong with celebrating success, or feeling the satisfaction of achievement? And those who might be too sensitive, too fragile and wish to be shielded from the spur of failure or reality of mediocrity can simply avoid knowledge of it.

BTW I think it's a sorry state we're in that it seems now to be in every sphere real and virtual that the oppression of political correctness makes cowards of a majority who in private berate it but otherwise are so cowed they dare not even murmur dissent. Confused I'm sure many more on this site rank than don't but would rather talk about the affair they're having! wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges, I profoundly disagree with you because - I think - you are confusing political correctness with basic decency.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, in what way?

comprex wrote:
Hurtle the thesis was that 'ranking' is automatic and natural for any activity, anywhere. If, as you say, ranking some things is beyond the pale, do we learn not to rank them or do we learn not to act on the consequences of the ranking? ?

Surely it's more of a question of what comprex pointed out earlier?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slikedges, You appear to be implying that the ranking of every situation/skill/characteristic is human nature and therefore always to be tolerated. I don't agree, hence my contention that comprex's bracketing of
Quote:

skin colour, athletic skill, tackle size, sudoku solving times,
was unacceptable. Your post implies, to me at least, that you see no difference between these four things, when it comes to the acceptability of ranking them. Just because the black man doesn't know that the white man thinks he (the white man) is superior is, in my view, irrelevant: it is not decent of the white man to be thinking such thoughts. And many white men do, indeed, not think such thoughts. I could have misunderstood you/imputed more to you than you actually meant; if so, I apologize.

I'm really sorry, but I fear I have to withdraw from the fray at this point. Thanks for the argument.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, don't be ridiculous

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 15-07-07 20:30; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slikedges,
Quote:

don't be ridiculous

Thanks for your illuminating response.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can only rank things that are better or worse. Like skiers. You can't say whether blue or green are of themselves a better colour.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges, you said:
Quote:

Anything that can be attractive or 'plain' can be ranked

I find blue a more attractive colour than green. Some people find white men more attractive than black men. You appear to be contradicting yourself: one post says they can be ranked, the latest says they cannot.
I do not deny that skiers can be ranked. I have even gone so far as to say they should be ranked.

Please let me outahere! I have got SO much to do! Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, no contradiction - there is no consensus on the ranking of colours hence they can't be deemed better or worse. Attractive and 'homely' are absolutes. Don't want to know any more about your tastes in men, however I am fascinated that you seem to think of blue of itself as a superior colour to green. Interesting.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, Actually, there's no consensus on the ranking of anything much, as many posts here and on other threads testify. I don't recall having referred to my taste in men, but I can solve the blue/green problem for you: I had to wear a green school uniform for 13 years, and it put me off the colour for life! wink wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex wrote:
Hurtle the thesis was that 'ranking' is automatic and natural for any activity, anywhere. If, as you say, ranking some things is beyond the pale, do we learn not to rank them or do we learn not to act on the consequences of the ranking?

That was not quite the thesis.

It was that ranking is automatic and natural for any activity for which you are aware of the possibility of being "better" or "worse". That last part is important.

The reason ranking on things like skin colour is "beyond the pale" is that it is considered beyond the pale to think that one skin colour is any better than any other skin colour.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney, Exactly.
ski holidays
alex_heney, that's only a little bit circular. wink
ski holidays
What was that infamous ditty? tumtitum tumtitum tumtitum

OK, in summary we've established that some people claim to rank everything rankable (FGS people, let's leave racism out of this skiing thread on The Piste please rolling eyes ), and some people claim not to rank much of anything. Self-evidently lotsa people rank skiing for lotsa reasons. But most won't admit it 'cos they're yella. And those who are forced to will only admit to PC reasons. Excellent - same result as last time then. I'll leave this subject for another couple of years. It'll be an interesting measure of whether society moves on. Laughing
snow conditions
Hmm
Ignoring the way OT stuff - I rank people I see for one main reason:

My benefit!!

Maybe to try what they're doing (or not).
To assess their failings (ugh, crappy turn, left his/her shoulder back - must remember not to do that... Hmm. that's *much* nicer, look at that frame and weight transfer....)
OTOH if there's a chance of skiing with them I'll probably rank their recklessness over ability! Who wants to ski with a boring fart (answer: "rational, sane people" Wink )
I *never* *ever* rank their attractiveness if they are female since I am married Wink
OK, maybe colour plays a part - I like redheads...
Although "Not another tosser in a red jacket" occasionally springs to mind (wish I'd not bought a red jacket <sigh>)

As for whoever mentioned privacy - BWA HA HA HAAAAAA <choke> <splutter>.....
Yes, I suppose it could be considered rude to video some loser on the slopes and use that to educate people - but every time I've seen that on youtube (or on the Ski Club of GB educational DVDs) it's been highly amusing...

And I rank myself right in there:

Beautiful graceful ski god with attractive silver highlights

(Self confidence is crucial - leave me alone!)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy