Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

aspen january 2008

Poster: A snowHead
thinking of heading out to aspen in the first week of january next year, and would like to hear anyones opinion of this resort
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
done a couple of seasons there in the 80's and been back about 15 times since

IMHO The best in America. Great old town. i.e not spoilt by Vail style developments. Skiing for all levels on 4 mountains.

Only down sides January can be very cold & Aspen is staffed by mainly huge numbers of foreign workers. So the "have a nice day" can sound a little odd coming from a Romanian, Peruvian or Australian
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Aspen is the best station in North America.

Great on- and off-piste.

More sophisticated than Whistler, which is massmarket and rainy.

Go in early Mar, when it warms up.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton, unfortunatly have to go in early january, but have been to the east coast and canada in january and can deal with the cold as long as there is plenty of snow, is it usally ok for reliable snow at that time
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neilski wrote:
stanton, unfortunatly have to go in early january, but have been to the east coast and canada in january and can deal with the cold as long as there is plenty of snow, is it usally ok for reliable snow at that time

I wouldn't doubt the snow. I nearly allways go out there for Thanksgiving around 24/5 November . Last few years have been great. Hell , January is half way thru the season Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton, sounds good to me , have done loads of research today and the place looks awesome, and will be booking tomorrow Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I recommend at least 4 different groups of skiers & none were disapointed in fact some are on there second,third trips now !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Neilski, good place. We're going at the end of Jan.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
all booked for the 10th 0f january for a week, and i can fly from manchester via chicago to aspen , which is great for me
what a great way to start the season Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Neilski, Are you staying in Aspen or Snowmass ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I highly recommend a trip to the Crystal Palace. No, not the southeast London football club, but Aspen's legendary satirical cabaret: http://www.cpalace.net/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bhmandminx, we are staying in aspen at the little nell at the foot of aspen mountian Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Martin Bell, thanks, had a look at that site and will definatly give it a visit Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
does anyone know how tha ski school works in aspen, do they have different schools for each mountian or do they visit them all in a ski week program
would love to hear from anyone with experience of aspen ski schools
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Neilski, the ski school instructors will be specific to each mountain (for those who don't know, "Aspen" is actually 4 different mountains/resorts)
Weems is the best guy to ask - he used to work there - posts here occassionally, so a PM might be the best way to contact him. Either that, or ask him on www.EpicSki.com , where he spends a lot of his internet time.
snow conditions
One tip I got last year was that the Highlands school could be fairly quiet. I went along for a one-day group lesson (6-Cool people. There were 2 of us in the morning and just me in the afternoon - lovely teacher and of course she knew the right terrain for us.

They didn't try and group us with people of different levels to make up numbers either.

Aspen was fantastic and we're hoping to go back. In my mind it and Whistler are very similar; Whistler can be wetter but Aspen's 4 mountains are very spread out. You have to get buses between them which is OK but not as good as Whistler where you never need to leave the snow.

And Aspen's aspen trees can be too dense - and the natives get upset if you suggest importing beavers to deal with the problem; especially giant beavers...
ski holidays
lbt, the trees on Aspen Highlands aren't too bad - particularly in Sherwood Forest Wink
ski holidays
[mutter] still think the place would benefit from an invasion of giant beavers...[/mutter]
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
.......staffed by mainly huge numbers of foreign workers. So the "have a nice day" can sound a little odd coming from a Romanian, Peruvian or Australian Very Happy

Comedy genius from the Dutch corner there.....
ski holidays
lbt, The locals will also tell you that it is important not to confuse beavers with cougars.Smile
ski holidays
Neilski,
We went to Snowmass/Aspen in March 07.
Definately make sure you ski all 4 areas. Snowmass has some excellent terrain and a great bar at the side of the home run to sit and people watch whilst drinking your aching legs away. I obviously drank so much I can't remember it's name Madeye-Smiley
It's come to me.... Cirque. Does a great BBQ burger aswell.
The runs we really enjoyed were at the top of the Elk Camp lift, Sandy Park was a high speed blast Toofy Grin

Don't dismiss Buttermilk as a pure beginners mountain especially if you get a dump of the fresh stuff. We had one of our best ever days skiing there. Skiied ( Bhm boards) over on the Tiehack side ( easy blacks and lots of space to dive off in between trees ). We'd had 14" of fresh stuff and I think we saw only 5-7 other people on the runs for at least 4 hours. We just kept putting in fresh track after fresh track. All that to ourselves, it was amazing Very Happy Madeye-Smiley Razz

The resorts website is great www.aspensnowmass.com Make sure you check out the "locals reports" that will start coming as soon as they have some snow. Big Bald Bobby posts some amazing photos.

Have a fantastic time.
Minx Little Angel
latest report
Martin Bell wrote:
lbt, The locals will also tell you that it is important not to confuse beavers with cougars.Smile

Oh that's easy. Cougars are much bigger and have sharper claws and more fur... Shocked Embarassed
snow report
lbt, I decided to google some pictures to go with this thread, so here's a picture of a cougar. I'll tried to find a photo of a beaver with less fur now...
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, I really don't think naked beavers are going to go down too well. They'll be very chilly and their lips will turn blue!! rolling eyes
Sorry, I couldn't find any pictures - I'm sure you can imagine though...
snow report
Hey Martin...highly recommend a trip to the Crystal Palace. No, not the southeast London football club, but Aspen's legendary satirical cabaret:

I worked there in 1986/7 season dates me then! as sous chef...
snow report
There is a fantastic restaurant in Snowmass called Krablooniks - it has a husky dog kennels attached and you can watch the dogsleds going off and even take one if you want. The food is fantastic and you definitely need to book. You can also go at night for dinner. But I prefer it for a very civilised late lunch. They have a good wine list too.
ski holidays
Martin Bell, thanks for the crystal palace recommendation we went and had a great night wink

lbt, thay might not need an influx of beavers to deal with the trees, as the locals are really worried about a infestation of the colorado bettle which is threatening to kill all the larch pine trees in the area, which would be a real shame Sad

minx, ditto on buttermilk we loved it gave me the only real oppertunity to ski with my wife, we basically had the mountain to ourselves snowHead

stanton, you were right the snow this year was of epic proportions even for aspen Laughing
snow report
Neilski, so glad you had a great time. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neilski, glad you made it to the Crystal Palace and enjoyed the show. Sadly, I heard that it may be shutting down soon.
snow conditions
Martin Bell, yes you are right it is the last season with the present owner retiring, and people seem to think with property values what they are in aspen it will close and be sold, dam shame, but what a ski resort we had the time of our lives there Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy