Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Asian Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am a 44 year old Scotsman living in Thailand and would like to ski somewhere near here any suggestions ? Have only ever skiied in Scotland in my youth so a bit inexperienced but was i was quite competent ( hopefully it's like riding a bike ! )

cheers Charlie
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
charliedundee, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Not sure if there's any skiing in Thailand, but I know it's quite popular in Japan.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
charliedundee,
I lives in asia for nearly nine yeares and actually did most of my skiiing outwith asia so as to combine it with trips to see the family etc. But when I looked at Japanese skiing it looked pretty good I skied on Hokkaido and it was excellent. Korean skiing looked to be a bit short of natural snow. Talking to some Swiss who lived there they were less than impressed. I have no idea what the Chinese and Indian skiing is like.
You used to be able to get some pretty good deals with Air NZ to fly to NZ and get accommodation and lift passes for Queenstown for a little more than the stand alone fare. I combined that with sight seeing on the south Island including other resorts in a Campervan and had a great time, very cheap hire as it is off season.
All a bit out of date as I have been back in Scotland for 7 years.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers, have looked into China but not really sure what to look for, i would imagine anythings better than Glenshee ! i'll look into India and NZ
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As a general rule, the richer the country, the better the ski resorts are likely to be.

In Asia, that points to Japan, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea.

Of those, Japan is easily the best in the North. NZ is top in the South.

Some parts of northern Japan get huge amounts of snow in Dec to Apr. But it can be chilly in the first half of the season.

Try stations around Hakuba Valley near Tokyo, or Hokkaido island in the north.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://snowheads.co.uk/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=645171&highlight=#645171
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes I am planning a week in mar 2008 to Hokkaido. Haven't booked anything yet but the information on various web sites look good and there is a Welsh Mike resident here too.

Talk to some friends and they advised against the Chinese resorts citing the infrastructure isn't ready and facilities are minimal. I believe one needs a Chinese friend to go with as a mate because the English language isn't going to be a big help.

There has been some talks about skiing resorts in Pakistan like kashmere but not too sure how the internal fighting is affecting the sport.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't bother with China. I suspect the same for India and Pakistan. Basically infrastructure is non-existant. And if you hadn't skied for quite some time, I'm guessing you need to hire gear? Are you size of typical Asian people or more like a typical Scotsman?

NZ has the advantage it's English speaking so if you need to take a refresher lesson.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My preferred resorts of the 600 resorts in Japan is Hakuba in the Japan Alps. Well actually Hakuba is a valley with 9 resorts within 20 minutes of the center of Hakuba. Big mountains, great powder snow and easy to get to from Tokyo. It was where they held the majority of events in 98 Nagano Winter Olympics. There are a few western owned hotels or you could go for a japanese experience and stay at a pension. Definately worth checking. I actually drank a beer there last year with a Scotsman working for the Bank of Scotland looking at purchasing Love Hotels in the area. A story for another time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy