Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OK - the term is being bandied round left, right and center at the moment.....what is....

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

but the drawback comes with someone interpreting how they think they ski

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Yep. Ain't that the way Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm shocked to see I would have fit in level 3 on a board! Shocked

It took a couple of YEARS for my skiing to reach level 3. But I only have a couple WEEKENDS on board (before I gave it up to focus on TWO planks). Perhaps I should give snowboarding another try? Wink

Or was it more the matter of having to UN-learn all those snow ploughing really hurts when it comes to progressing on skis??? Puzzled Snowboarder don't have to learn TWO totally different way of turning as they progress through the dreaded "intermediate" level. Oh well, that's a totally different rant.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abc wrote:

It took a couple of YEARS for my skiing to reach level 3..

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

This is on V8's scale and you're not really talking of level 4, are you?

Assuming you're not joking, I have real trouble understanding this without circumstances like 1 hour on snow per year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc, if you've been "unlearning" then you're dumping ideas that you could find useful.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight wrote:
Just as important as skills & technique, is intent/attitude.

If you put yourself in a Level 5 group, you should come prepared mentally to ski bumps/moguls, powder, trees etc. Again, this is where many people come unstuck, they sign up for a Level 5, but aren't willing to go off the groomers...

Absolutely. At this level (and as far as I'm concerned) the only time a 'groomer' is interesting is when there are gates on it - or it's being used for drills.

However, apologies for dragging this off topic, as I think this is probably stretching the definition of 'intermediate' beyond the sensible (at least in the context of amateur skiing).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex wrote:
abc wrote:

It took a couple of YEARS for my skiing to reach level 3..

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

This is on V8's scale and you're not really talking of level 4, are you?

Assuming you're not joking, I have real trouble understanding this without circumstances like 1 hour on snow per year.

Yes, V8's scale.

Granted, because I can carve on ski, it was easy for me to transition from side-slipping to link turns even on a board, which seems to be the difference between level 2 (side slipe) and 3 (carve & linked turns) on the WB scale.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc, have another look, there is no "carve" in the level 3 description, in fact it doesn't come in until level 5.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight wrote:
the Level 6 clip for example, is near the top of the (Saudan) Couloir Extreme (42deg), on a horrible re-frozen crappy snow surface (not much spray, not soft) - and yet on the vid it looks like a blue run! Laughing

Yes, what snow conditions and steepness you can do things makes a huge difference. When I tried heli-skiing the groups looked similar in powder, but the top half the mountain was breakable crust and some people slowed right down and became tentative while others could ski it fast and fluidly.
For me that is also the test of an off-piste ski - any of them can do powder but crud and breakable crust is the test.

PS are you sure you mean 42º? I don't think I've ever seen a piste steeper than about 35º (though plenty of off-piste, of course).

Edit: I just looked on the map and remember it now - I did ski it. That must be just the top 50yards which is very steep (and many people join it further down). After that it is a fairly ordinary run in good snow.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 10-07-07 16:59; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex wrote:
abc, have another look, there is no "carve" in the level 3 description, in fact it doesn't come in until level 5.

I'm talking about boarding (V8 only posted the "description" for skiing). The video shows clearly the board was way up on edge during the turn. It's got to carve at that angle whether the boarder intend it or not.

That aside, I'm sure 'carving' is expected before level 5 even for skiers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, until we see the skill level list for snowboards we can't say what level you'd be. As with most exams, it's probably bad to read into the question things that aren't written there.

abc wrote:

That aside, I'm sure 'carving' is expected before level 5 even for skiers.

Why are you sure? If you read level 4 carefully, there is no skill that requires outside edge management or pressured two-footed skiing.

Quote:

Level 3: I can consistently link snowplow turns or ski in a wide parallel stance on easy terrain.

* I can traverse across easy slopes on one ski and sideslip easily
* I can skate on flat terrain and hockey stop on both sides
* My skis are parallel throughout a turn on intermediate terrain
* I am ready for Level 4

Level 4: I am able to ski parallel turns with a pole plant on easy blue runs.

* I can make small, medium and long round turns on blue runs
* I keep my balance and link turns in small bumps and powder
* I am able to ski round turns on the easiest black runs
* I am ready for Level 5

All easily done by lifting the inside ski.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Click Here for the Snowboard Ability Chart
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex wrote:
Level 3: I can consistently link snowplow turns or ski in a wide parallel stance on easy terrain.

* I can traverse across easy slopes on one ski and sideslip easily
* I can skate on flat terrain and hockey stop on both sides
* My skis are parallel throughout a turn on intermediate terrain
* I am ready for Level 4

Level 4: I am able to ski parallel turns with a pole plant on easy blue runs.

* I can make small, medium and long round turns on blue runs
* I keep my balance and link turns in small bumps and powder
* I am able to ski round turns on the easiest black runs
* I am ready for Level 5

All easily done by lifting the inside ski.

I wonder if the description is written at the time of "straight skis" when only the "advanced" skiers are expected to carve.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc, the description may well have been written to accomodate all the hundreds, thousands of skiers who stopped updating their skills before 1996, who happily skied all over the world for decades on who knows what terrain using their bulletproof skid, and who could justifiably feel insulted, frustrated, piσσed on when told to join the beginner classes.

Smart move on their part, I'd say.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight, I found the video clips something I could really relate to and going by that scheme I'd say I was a level 3 (though I need to master that side slip the next time I get near some snow)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just a reminder that the descriptions of types of runs shown in the clips are Canadian-based. So, IMO, a green run there is equivalent to a green/easy blue in Europe. A blue run there is equivalent to harder blue/easy red. And a single black diamond equivalent to more difficult red/easy black. As a vast generalisation snowHead
snow conditions
cathy, don't go there!
ski holidays
abc, the boarding ability chart makes no mention of consistently carving turns until level 6 Shocked although it is implied in level 5 I think.

Level 4 says
Quote:
I am able to link sliding turns with ease on green runs
and only after this does it mention long, medium and short turns which could be carved but it's easy to alter turn radius without carving the board.

I hadn't noticed this before and am a bit shocked, IMO a boarder should be looking to carve turns from the off otherwise it encourages lazy and sloppy technique (like mine rolling eyes ).
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Very Happy I did wonder if wanted to open up another can of worms.... Toofy Grin
snow report
cathy, Does it further compound the can of worms if I ask whether an attempt has ever been made globally standardise on hill definitions and if not why not?
snow report
Megamum,
You could always have a gentle meander through this thread to give you an idea of the consensus snowHead opinion on the subject.
There is a little diversity of opinion at times though. Toofy Grin
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14658&postdays
latest report
Megamum, aaagghhhhh no - as T Bar says! Toofy Grin The grading of runs may not even be standardised in a resort, never mind in a country. A blue run may just indicate the easier route down from a lift compared with the black run down.
ski holidays
What's this obsession with "carving"?
snow conditions
Swirly, although it wasn't mentioned in the wordy "description", the video for level 4 shows clearly the bottom of the board. So it quite clear the board was way up on its edge going around the turn in a natural arc, with no spray. It's harder to see the bottom of the ski even for well carved turns.

One thing about trying to board after skiing for years was openning my eye about carving vs. skidding. Even though begining boarders were taught side slipping with the board relatively flat on the snow, once it's UP on edge, a board "bites" very strongly and don't skid all that well. So the difference between skiding and carving is quite obvious. An un-intended skid in the middle of the turn on a board often sends the boarder (me Embarassed ) sprawling on the snow. Ouch! That hurts. Sad
snow report
abc, I've just watched the level 4 part of the video again and I don't think he is carving, on the second turn the board definately skids round and towards the end the trail left by the board isn't the single narow line indicative of carving. Looking at the later levels only in the final clip are there some truely carved turns, especially the section in the bumps which is very clinical. Compare the path the board takes through the turn, partculary at the end of the turn to these guys http://www.extremecarving.com/movies/movies.html ignoring their crazy body posistions the board doesn't wash out at the end of the turn. It's not that the board isn't on edge but the edge doesn't maintain a firm grip all the way round.

If the other edge wasn't raised it would catch and the rider would get one of those nasty slams that everyone takes when they try boarding, it's more noticable on a board as it's wider but you also get a clear view of the base of skis when the skier is using wide skis. Slope angle also plays a part here.
snow conditions
Swirly, well, you're right the guy didn't carve. Though I would still say if a boarder can get the board up on edge, carving simply comes naturally. It's holding that carve in varying surface condition that might be tricky. By and large, boarder don't need to be constantly reminded to carve or so much emphasize on how.
latest report
I think you guys have an extremely limited definition of the concept of carving here...... and is the source of endless debate!

Is the rider on the L4 video displaying a good steering blend, getting performance out of the board, using the torsional characteristics ? Is the rear of the board being "ruddered" around, is he "kicking" the rear foot to steer? Or is the board describing an arc, using it's edges in a good blend?

The term "carving" does not equate to a pencil thin line.

For me, someone can describe a pencil thin line on a board (or lines on skis) - depending how they do this, I might accuse them of not "carving", and just be riding the sidecut, or park and riding.

Additionally - what we teach at WB lessons is an all mountain techinque - so whilst the extreme end of the scale of carving would be suitable for groomers, if you look at the terrain at L5 and L6 - it would be quite inappropriate. Carving is in L4/5, but is not, and shouldn't be the focus as the "only" way to turn if you're trying to achieve an all mountain technique.
latest report
veeeight wrote:
I think you guys have an extremely limited definition of the concept of carving here...... and is the source of endless debate!

Is the rider on the L4 video displaying a good steering blend, getting performance out of the board, using the torsional characteristics ? Is the rear of the board being "ruddered" around, is he "kicking" the rear foot to steer? Or is the board describing an arc, using it's edges in a good blend?

The term "carving" does not equate to a pencil thin line.

For me, someone can describe a pencil thin line on a board (or lines on skis) - depending how they do this, I might accuse them of not "carving", and just be riding the sidecut, or park and riding.

Additionally - what we teach at WB lessons is an all mountain techinque - so whilst the extreme end of the scale of carving would be suitable for groomers, if you look at the terrain at L5 and L6 - it would be quite inappropriate. Carving is in L4/5, but is not, and shouldn't be the focus as the "only" way to turn if you're trying to achieve an all mountain technique.

Good a further can of worms wink As the maggots say "(Grabs beer & popcorn)"

For what its worth V8 and I know my opinion doen't count for much I've never understood the obsession with "pure" carving. Good in a race situation or for the hardbooted snowboarders in being able to show off by turing in uphill circles but downright dangerous on most recreational slopes.
latest report
fatbob wrote:
Good in a race situation

Yes it is, but the innovaters (eg: Bode a few years back) spends much of his time on a flat ski drifting as well wink

That is one man that can go just as fast drifting (and locking (his edges) to get the line when appropriate) as someone else can whilst "carving".......

As you say, it is a big can of worms re how you define "carve".
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex wrote:
Whitegold, completely disagree, consistency is the catchword.

Consistency faced with varied terrain, consistency faced with varied conditions of that terrain, consistency faced with fatigue, consistency faced with varied fitness level and training, consistency faced with gear in various condition.

Every whinge about any of the above (too icy, too crusty, too heavy, too steep, too bumped, too tired, too fat "out of shape", edges too dull), remove one level from self-estimate.

Control and consistency are the same thing.

If you are consistent, you are in control of your planks. And vice versa.
snow report
veeeight, you should post on EpicSki! Wink
ski holidays
Quote:

I think you guys have an extremely limited definition of the concept of carving here......

Well then, V8 will enlighten us what's the proper definition of carving as WB ski/board school uses?
snow report
So here I am, with the thanksgiving turkey in front of me. My assembled guests of various skiers on the intermediate plateau, snowboarders, racers, instructors are all eagerly waiting for the succulent dinner, sat around the table. With a flourish I produce my 12" carving knife. After a few cursory strokes on the sharpening iron, I'm ready.

First - the the breast meat. The first cut is easy. A slither of breast meat is neatly sliced off the outermost part of the breast. I ask the assembled crowd if they thought that that was a carving action.

Unanimously, they shout yes. I am showered with compliments. "Great slicing action", "Nice angle of the blade", "Nice clean cut", "Superb consistency of thickness throughout the cut", etc.

The next few slices of the turkey are the same, the applause gets louder, the slices are coming off like pieces of art. The applause continues, someone shouts "Superb carving" - raptuous applause.

Suddenly, I approach near the ridge of the breastbone. I know the terrain changes, and I also know I want to maximise the amount of meat I need to take off, whilst producing slices.

I take a deep breath, and change the angle of my knife slightly throughout the cut, to follow the contours of the turkey.

Half the room falls silent. Sotto Voce, some voices can be heard to whisper "he's not carving that turkey anymore". Uproar ensues. Half the room are suddenly arguing with the other half. Mayhem.

I pick out various cries:

"But he's not maintaing perfectly symmetrical slices of equal thickness anymore"

"He's changing the angle of the knife"

"Not only that, but he's now rocking the blade forwards and backwards to deal with the terrain"

"The slices don't look perfect anymore, he's not carving"

"He *is* carving, I still see a slicing motion"

"Of course he is, he hasn't pushed the knife sideways to tear and rip the meat!"

"He's not hacking or chopping at the meat, he's still producing slices, so of course the turkey is being carved"

"No no no, only perfectly thin and consistent slices of breast meat can be carved, anything else isn't carving and doesn't constitute a carved piece of meat"

It's clear to me that this will never get resolved. I start on the other breast, but no-one notices. They are still too busy arguing about the perfect carved slice.

I reach calmly for a thigh portion, I never did like the breast portion anyway.
snow report
T Bar, 12 Pages!! I got all the way through the first, but I think I'll have to be fairly dedicated to plough through the rest. I see what you mean about a thorny subject!! It is a shame that there isn't a standard system - it means that in every different location you have to check to see what is the local colour definition of easy and hard. I'll probably notice that if I get to VT a different resort and country next year - their system is bound to be different to the one in Switzerland. Still at least I'm an intermediate now - whatever that actually means Toofy Grin . To me I think it will mean that I can have a bash, in decent conditions, at most of the easiest graded slopes in a resort. Assuming that a wretched piste bashing machine hasn't driven its tracks over slushy conditions on the verge of freezing and that then continue to do so resulting in solid sheet of incredibly deformed ice the next morning - there can't be many conditions worst than that (are there?)- it certainly b******d up my nice little learning slope one morning. I think even with newly learned skills at MK I'd still find it a difficult ski. However, I am now determined - next year I WILL ski a different slope on my holiday and I hope that I will find a few folks in VT next year that will be willing to let me tag round some easier slopes with them for a few hours - assuming I can describe to them then how well I am skiing Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Still at least I'm an intermediate now - whatever that actually means Toofy Grin .

Sorry to break this to you, but I doubt many people would agree, based just on what you have posted about your skiing.

AIUI (please correct me if I'm wrong), all your skiing in the mountains to date has been on just 2-3 runs, all graded blue, and you sound like you still sometimes have difficulty with those.

Regardless of your style of skiing, any intermediate should be able to comfortably ski just about any blue they will find in Europe, and at least be able to get down a good proportion of the reds in reasonable control. Unless you feel able to ski at least some of the red runs, you really aren't an intermediate yet.
ski holidays
veeeight, Laughing Laughing

Megamum wrote:
Assuming that a wretched piste bashing machine hasn't driven its tracks over slushy conditions on the verge of freezing and that then continue to do so resulting in solid sheet of incredibly deformed ice the next morning - there can't be many conditions worst than that (are there?)- it certainly b******d up my nice little learning slope one morning.

I think shoulder-high moguls with the consistency of mashed potato were the worst thing I've met so far! Certainly made me look much more fondly on the early-morning icey stuff... snowHead

But also, your comment above shows one of the reasons why piste-grading is so variable (OK, different thread!) - the condition of the piste, be it ice or churned-up slush, can turn a perfectly simple green into something much more challenging.
latest report
Jo225, glad someone liked it! Maybe I'll post it on Epic. Laughing
latest report
veeeight, Cool
snow conditions
veeeight, well quite and while we can't even agree on a defination of carve how the hell are we expected to define an intermediate? Moreover, my argument is it should be learnt much earlier in the repertoire of snowboarding turns for the exact reason you mention: you can't do it everywhere and there are othe techniques to learn.

fatbob, because it's fun and although it could be dangerous on a very crowded piste providing they're in control one should be aware enough of their surroundings to be able to react to anything. One of the reasons for letting a board wash out on the ends of a turn is to scrub off speed generated in the turn which is what I presume the guy is doing in the level 5 clip, however, this should be something to learn after learning to keep the board completely on edge.
snow report
Megamum, I am sorry to say that i am with alex_heney, if i were you i would go in for the second level beginners lessons, or the very first intermediate level lessons. You have a good solid technique starting but you dont want to get into too steep of terrain just yet. continue to improve your technique on green/blue runs until you are very confident on that type of terrain.

basic plough/parallel turns on a Green run (MK is only 15 degrees at the top tapering off to 11) doesnt really get you to the exhalted status of "intermediate".
ski holidays
Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy