Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

They want to sell me a pair of 162cm skis!

Poster: A snowHead
Last time I was in Precision you had to speak English with an Australian twang to be understood!

Regards

Rob
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ok.... in regards to whether this particular ski works

sort of!

the deep sidecut means that it doess perform very well on piste.
the stiffness under foot means it grips on firm snow and pushes through crud, chop, lesser amounts of new snow (10cms or less)
the large surface area means that it does feel very stable in these sort of mixed conditions.

but.....

the stiff tail does not allow you to skid if needs be without much effort (resulting in lots of pressure in the knee) thereby removing the advantage of manouvrability of the length
it is very heavy, making it hard to float in deeper snow (its weight added to yours doesnt allow it to as it doesnt distribute the weight far enough away from the applied force ie you)

I would therefore put it more alongside skiercross skis like the 6star - very good on piste and if you know what you are doing they are usuable on the rest of the mountain, but much more work
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry thats after having skied it in pila at the ski test in march too....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I own a pair of 185 Rossys about 5 years old but have rented two sets of shorter ski's (165ish and I am 5'11 and 90 kilos) and found them to be really capable on and off the piste, in fact really turney and exciting, I now find my "big" Rossys a bit clumsy if dependable so hope this helps you decide. Incidentally Precision is a good shop but I have found them a victim of there own success and waited an hour and more to even talk to someone in there on the wrong day(Saturday normally)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
162 ? Why so long ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh dear....again the dreaded pseudo Austrtalian surf culture is needed if you are to be taken seriously as an English speaking skier. It's so bloody predictable, isn't it?

Why can't resort shops avoid the obvious and perhaps employ people who aren't demonstrable style fundamentalists?

So, you go into S and R and you're met by a middle class Autralian either pretending to be 'urban' or a 'rasta'! These comfortable sorts would be laughed off the street in a real urban environment, wouldn't they?

It's apparent that in the drive to be cool you simply fall into convention. Perhaps I wont go into Precision if this is what's needed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It might be in Val D'espair but in the rest of the valley La Francaise is alive and well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kevin mcclean, the guys in Precision are knowledgeable and helpful, I fail to see what difference their accent or hairstyle makes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
He spends his life going to Val d'Isere and then complaining about it. It's a form a self-satire, like Jewish humour.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kevin mcclean, in the few times I've been to Precision all the staff I've dealt with have been friendly, helpful, passionate about skiing and seemed to be knowledgeable about the products they were selling. Does it matter what their stylistic choices are, real or pretend?

Regards

Rob
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kevin mcclean,

Short skis, a trip to Val D!!! What next for you :-

Meribel and blades Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
aahhhhhhh!

I suppose it's a form of catharsis; being able to face skiing convention in the face. It doesn't really matter, of course, what stylistic choices people make but there does seem to be the cult of the cool, 'identikit' skier about these days, isn't there?

Have you got a goatee and a rasta? How cool!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just wait for the new-cool skiers descending on to the slopes in one piece Nevicas in dayglo colours with parallel sided 230cm skis. Retro is the new new.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, I'm a bit late getting back online but you should definitely go straight for carvers. You can skid on the latest carvers too you know! It's true that to make a nice controlled skidded turn you have to be more delicate on your edges than on the old straight skis, but it's still there if you want it.
The modern ski is very nearly all things to all people, but they're not all the same, and I agree absolutely withsugardaddy, NEVER buy skis without trying them first - it's too expensive to make a mistake. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FenlandSkier, That retro look is really quite disturbing, I am going to have Nightmares about it Wink
snow conditions
I myself used to work at Precision in the ski test centre. That season opened my eyes. Over the 5.5 months I was there I tested approx 70 models. Its horses for courses. Ask yourself some questions. How aggresively do i ski, where do I want to ski (be honest) on/off piste 50/50 on/off 95% on piste, then factor in your weight and pysical condition. Some manufacturers produce stiff skis, some much softer.

I myself own 3 pairs of skis, slalom 160cm, twin tips 171cm and freeride skis 181cm. General rule of thumb says they should be as tall as you are. A freeride ski that is too short will not offer you the floatation in powder and a piste ski that is too long will be a dog to ski on.

I am a great believer in that if you only take 1 pair of skis away with you, take a freeride ski, it will do everything. Some people will say that they are not as quick edge to edge but what little truth there is in that is so tiny as not to matter. Its a minefield when you take into account that a lot of ski shop employees have not skied on them and are only saying what they have been told to say.

Go to Precision and see Jason "Magic Thighs" Bridgman (he actually changed his name to Magic Thighs for 12 months much to the annoyance of his mother) and he will enlighten you.
latest report
Oh dear. An example of extreme hubris, I see.
ski holidays
Quote:

Oh dear. An example of extreme hubris, I see

Meaning what?
latest report
I was wondering that! Maybe it's a comment on an earlier post and makes sense if thus applied.

Hubris is usually defined as the kind of over-weeing pride that comes before a fall. It is identified by Aristotle as one of the constituents of tragedy. The classic example is Agamenmnon treading on the tyrrian purple reserved for the gods on his return in triumph from Troy.

A comment on a tyrrian purple one-piece ski suit maybe??? Are they reserved for the gods??
ski holidays
Chris Bish, Do you mean over-WEENING pride? Of course if you over-wee you could easily fall! rolling eyes
ski holidays
uh oh....Who's upset Kev?
ski holidays
easiski, an unintended typo, but it does conjure up all sorts of images...

I suppose over-weeing might just be taking the pi$$!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy