Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

INFO REQUIRED ON LES ARCS AND LA PLANGNE

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
can anyone recommend a good ski school for near beginners in Les Arcs 1950?
Also can anyone tell me what time the local shuttle bus stops running between 1800-1950 as there doesn’t seem to be enough night-life to keep 4 teenagers happy in 1950 alone Going green ?

Plus best ski hire shop?

And is it possible for a beginner to go across to La Plangne and spend a day after they have learnt the basics (maybe after 3-4 days of ski school)?
And to do this will they need a full paradiski pass or a local pass that lets you up-grade once to enable to ski in La Plangne?

Thanks fluff Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oxygené.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry about all the questions starting to get excited even tho its not untill march.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 6-07-07 15:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You won't need the full paradiski pass - there's a pass called the paradiski découverte which will give you one day over in La Plagne, and which is much cheaoer. Having said that I'm a fairly experienced skiier and over 7 days skiing in Les Arcs felt no need to go over to La Plagne
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just a point of netiquette - please note that typing in capital letters tends to denote SHOUTING.

Just thought I'd let you know Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fluffyone, Excellent site about La Plagne can be found here http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/index_ENG.html and the official site is here www.laplagne.com
As nbt, says you will not need a paradiski just a Les Arcs one and buy a one day extension to go over to La Plagne or the decouverte pass. Full details on http://www.lesarcs.com/?lang=en
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for the info dont think we will bother with the full paradiski pass, as i think Les Arcs will be enough on its own may take my party over for 1 day.

any futher advice on apre ski or any other useful information would be welcome.

who's shouting? Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fluffyone, It would be possible for someone with a few days experience to get to La Plagne but would they really want to? There's certainly enough in one area to keep them more than occupied for the week. If you really want to go then get the pass mentioned by nbt that lets you go for a day. Yo should be able to buy your lit passes online and get them delivered to yuor house before you go if you want.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks SWIRLY and everyone else really useful information, can anyone recommend nitelife as i have my 20 year old daughter moaning in my ear to ask about nite clubs and bars.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="fluffyone"]thanks SWIRLY and everyone else really useful information, can anyone recommend nitelife as i have my 20 year old daughter moaning in my ear to ask about nite clubs and bars.[/quote

Don't go La Palgne 1800 unless its changed since when I went there 10 years ago in my mid 20s when I cared about nitelife. Not sure that any of LA Plagne villages are nitelife orientated. Family skiing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swirly wrote:
fluffyone, It would be possible for someone with a few days experience to get to La Plagne but would they really want to? There's certainly enough in one area to keep them more than occupied for the week. If you really want to go then get the pass mentioned by nbt that lets you go for a day. Yo should be able to buy your lit passes online and get them delivered to yuor house before you go if you want.

Would agree. If you were staying in La Plagne I would recommend travelling across to les Arc for a days at least, but as you are in Les Arcs I would just enjoy that area.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks dan100, will tell them later Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
John Thomas ( unfortunate, but real name) runs New generation ski school based in Vallandry, Les Arcs. He is a BASI trainer and has a team of top qualified British instructors working for him.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The ski school at 1950 is Spirit 1950 I've only ever had good experiances and heard good reports about them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fluffyone wrote:
who's shouting? Puzzled

I think you had caps lock on when typing in the thread title - you can edit it if you want. snowHead
ski holidays
Also, I think there is only one ski hire shop at 1950.

elbrus, For near beginners, an early morning dash to Vallandry is a bit tough.

Again, as a near beginner, I wouldn't worry about a trip to La Plagne - there's plenty of skiing on yer doorstep.
snow report
ok thanks all for information really helpful snowHead
ski holidays
Les Arcs 1950 is only a short lift ride away from Les Arcs 2000 which give you more scope for shops and schools - but it's quote some way from Vallandry unless you're an experienced skiier and don't mind hammering it a bit. Haven;t stayed over there so can't really comment on nightlife, but to be honest when we stayed in rob@rar's apartment over in 1800 we didn;t actually go out very much anyway
ski holidays
ah ok thanks. there only 3 beginers in my group the rest of us are experienced skiers, Very Happy
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, I'll second that about Spirit 1950.
latest report
Does anyone know if there is a swimming pool in les arcs?
snow report
fluffyone, done two trips to la Plagne this year and in the la Plagne area the ski schools were ESF, which were widespread and very helpful. You basically wnt to a main ESF meeting point and just approached an instructor and they took you out. I booked a lesson through the Crystal rep the night before. Don't know if ESGF operate in les Arcs but if they do, they are well worth the money. A 60-minute lesson for three of us cost €45 - bargain.

Never went over to Les racs myself as there was too much to do in la Plagne to warant and the extra Euros on the discovery pass, but a few poeple we talked headed over to LA for a day and said it was good. You have to budget for getting to the Vanoise cable car as it's apparently low down the valley and you need to do a few lifts back from it before all lifts close at 5pm.

I girl from my office who'd only done a few lessons at MK went to LA for New Year and loved it. said the slope were really good, not too crowded and varied a lot to cater for beginners, inters and experts.
snow report
smudger wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a swimming pool in les arcs?

Only when there's been particularly hot weather Toofy Grin
(Sorry, I know that's not helpful! I can't remember one being there but perhaps a regular will know)
snow report
I would say DONT TAKE A BEGINNER TO LA PLAGNE it can be a bit precarious getting back down to the Vanoise express. 3/4 day skier wont enjoy it.
latest report
There are some good runs for beginners though in LP, especially the blues above Plagne Centre.

Nadenoodlee, that's what most people said to us about the link between LA and LP, if you're late to the cable car you're knackered if you miss the last lifts back up into les Arcs.
snow report
Specialman, To be honest, a complete beginner isnt going to leave the green runs, let alone make it down some pretty crappy (often icy) blue runs back down to the Vanoise.
snow conditions
You didn't say if you will be staying in 1800 or 1600 or the newer developements (2000 and whatever they call the new bit) in the next valley by the Aiguille Rouge and the speed run.
The skiing in the 3 areas are rather different (I suspect 1600 isn't very good for total beginners - but I could be forgetting some easier slopes).
If you have not skied before I strongly recommend you have some lessons at a ski dome in England. Otherwise you will spend the majority of your holiday down on the nursery slopes.

Les Arcs ski school pioneered a method of learning quite different from everywhere else where you learned parallel turns right from the start, but with very short skis, and were gradually given longer skis. Is this still in use?
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Is this still in use?

I don't think so, I haven't seen ESF using particularly short skis with new skiers.

I'm not sure if there is a pool in Arc 1800 in the winter time. There is a nice outdoor pool with some water slides for the summer season, but this isn't used in the winter. There is a pool in Bourg St Muarice if you are very keen to go for a swim, and maybe one of the hotels in 1800 or 1600 have pools that the public can pay to use? A couple of the hotels in Arc 1950 have swimming pools (indoor and outdoor); I think any guest staying in that village can use them, not just those staying in that hotel (although that facility might be restricted to owners only).

If you have a beginner I would agree that it's best to avoid Arc 1600. There are a couple of gentle runs which return to the village, but the other Les Arcs villages are much better suited to new skiers.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bourg St Maurice is only a short funicular ride away.

Good piste map of Les Arcs and La Plagne together here . But note that the ridge dividing Arc 1600 & 1800 from 2000 is almost eliminated in this picture but is actually quite considerable, particularly on the lower (left hand) end of the Arc 2000 valley.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy