Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much time do you need a year on snow to improve?

Poster: A snowHead
I have to say that as an observation, one of the less attractive features of this site and some of it's posters is the pack hunting behaviour that seems to surface from time to time.

It's pretty ugly.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeight, in my limited (very) experience, this is not the only site where such behaviour occurs. FWIW, I agree with you, but have come to the conclusion that the main problem, if you had to identify one single factor provoking these spats, is the all-consuming, irresistible need on the part of some posters to have THE LAST WORD! Backing off, in life as in skiing, is quite useful sometimes! rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Please! Please! can I have the 'last word' go-on you all know you want me to. Pretty please!! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, no, its my turn.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lampbus, That's not fair wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wow, i just read this thing from start to finish after all the mentions it has been getting elsewhere, from what i can see

you all need to calm down a bit, this is afterall an internet forum, a place where people can exchange views and opinions, if some one says something you don't agree with put your point and move on all i can see is several pages of argument which has only served to make one valued poster want to go elsewhere........

Fastman needs to keep posting i think he does it as he is passionate about the sport

little tiger you need to listen a little bit more to other peoples point of view and not just try to shout loudest, i am not having a go but as others have said there is an awful lot of me me me in your posts, there are a number of instructors on this site no one is forcing you to take lessons with the ones you don't like, as such there are a number of bootfitters on the site, we spend our lives trying to help people enjoy their skiing, sometimes these people have normal feet sometimes they have completely screwed up feet, again you are not obliged to come and see any of us, but please change the record any time any one of us makes a coment, strangely enough the majority of people buy a pair of boots and ski quite happily... we do not do what we do for the money, we do it because like the majority of the instriuctors out there we are passionate about what we do!

Frosty the Snowman needs life coaching himself wink

OK I'm done
Little Angel Little Angel
Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM wrote:
Frosty the Snowman needs life coaching himself wink

Don't eat yellow snow.
Don't share a T-bar with II

Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM,
Quote:

Fastman needs to keep posting i think he does it as he is passionate about the sport

I very much agree - just wanted to say so again, in case I didn't say it clearly enough the first time! I also enjoy and value Easiski's commonsense enormously. Hope I can meet one or both of them one day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I, too, would like to see FastMan continue to post. I rather enjoy his insight on many things.

Unfortunately, his 'star student' is doing him more harm than good by shouting his name by way too many times. Can't blame the peep feeling like it's a high pressure marketing show.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc, Little Tiger has many different instructors so far as I know (She is, as easiski says, addicted!).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't confuse the phrase "star student" with Little Tiger (no disrespect to LT).

The "star student" of Fastman that was referred to earlier in this thread is a current WC skier, competitor and Olympian.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lampbus, yeah... when you have 150-300 hours of instruction every year you tend to need to have a few.... they have accidents(leg fractured by rampant snowboarder, concussed by rampant snowboarder, etc) and 30 days in a row means I need at least 2 just for that resort... add in other resorts etc and the numbers quickly mount....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight, no disrespect taken ... I'd be happy to carry his skis Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lampbus wrote:
abc, Little Tiger has many different instructors so far as I know (She is, as easiski says, addicted!).

I know that. But reading these two thread, one could easily get an impression she's got only one.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc,
Quote:

But reading these two thread, one could easily get an impression she's got only one.

What? Twisted Evil

Sorry, could help that one!

LT, i work with many Physical disabilities and for the most part people are accepting of them, sometimes find them amusing(lack of vanity).
But would like for the record to apologise if you feel i've treated badly for the reasons of your leg length descrepancy. My persistance here was based on an attack in an early exchange based on the fact that as i was just a 'Bootfitter' and that you'd had had problems with bootfitters. I was to be advoided because you had had several bad experiences with bootfitters. This is indeed the same Predjudice that you are now screeming is being pointed at you and your P.D. You have never met me, so couldn't comment on my capabilities.
If you had met a Frenchman and he were rude to you, you ( i hope) would not come here and tell people to advoid Frenchmen, just to advoid the one you'd met. See what i'm getting at?
Go rent the movie ''Crash'' and be humbled by the fact you will always be both; persicuted and predjudice, just advoid being a Hypocrate.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Please, please, learn to spell rolling eyes
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER, perhaps he's a member of the Simplified Spelling Society Toofy Grin
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6250184.stm
snow report
Agggghhhhhhhh, Dyslexic skyer comping thriugh!
latest report
What did I miss here? A brief glimpse at a couple of posts suggests that in order to enjoy and improve my skiing, I need to have 300 hours intensive instruction per year with a guy who coaches Olympic/WC skiers? Does that include sessions on how to improve my Tartiflette consumption or how to ingest Mutzig by osmosis? These things alone would give me the opportunity to spend 300 hours actually on the slope on the 3 or 4 weeks I get in the mountains.....

I am quite happy with my technique, and am comfortable with my limitations, and also quite enjoy picking up the odd tip here and there from whomsoever I am skiing with at the time....to the best of my knowledge, none of these have competed at Olympic level.....
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, st's not that you are just a useless bootfitter, but on top of that, you've met me. Remember! Laughing
latest report
little tiger wrote:
Hurtle, it was quite malicious ... this is the stuff SZK ans WTFH do... WTFH also is openly rude and then deletes his posts...

It is basic bully boy type behaviour - nothing more

Maybe I should read what lies are said about me over the weekend.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
little tiger wrote:
Hurtle, it was quite malicious ... this is the stuff SZK ans WTFH do... WTFH also is openly rude and then deletes his posts...

It is basic bully boy type behaviour - nothing more

Maybe I should read what lies are said about me over the weekend.

Just thought I would quote it before you delete it Toofy Grin
latest report
Guvnor, now your talking my kind of language. I would be happy for you to give me several hundred hours of instruction per season on how to improve my tartiflette and mutzig consumption. Toofy Grin

ps how does one actually get 300 hours a year in lessons? 2 hours a day equals 150 days which is around a full season. little tiger, are you saying you have a lesson virutally EVERY time you go skiing and that you ski a full season? if so wow, i am beginning to get a clearer understanding of your obssession.
snow conditions
Quote:

little tiger, are you saying you have a lesson virutally EVERY time you go skiing and that you ski a full season? if so wow, i am beginning to get a clearer understanding of your obssession.

And the depth of your pocket!!
snow report
little tiger wrote:
lampbus, yeah... when you have 150-300 hours of instruction every year you tend to need to have a few.... they have accidents(leg fractured by rampant snowboarder, concussed by rampant snowboarder, etc) and 30 days in a row means I need at least 2 just for that resort... add in other resorts etc and the numbers quickly mount....

I salute this dedicated band of professionals. Dedication, indeed - above & beyond the call IMV.

Have I had the last word?? (Please don't reply rolling eyes )
latest report
In an attempt to get the last word here.....

300 hours tuition per year? So that's, for example, 3 hours a day for 100 days? So that's 15 weeks away from Ireland to stay in the mountains, at what cost? How about a conservative estimate of 500Euros per week, so 75K, plus money to put food on the table (you're going to be burning a lot of calories with this much exercise, so say another 20K on top (minimum - and this just about covers a bowl of pasta per night), and then the lessons at what, let's say (conservatively) 100Euros per 3 hour lesson, so in the region of 30K a season? Not including lift passes, equipment, cars, insurance blah blah blah.....so we are looking at what, 15 weeks holiday and an annual budget of 120,000 Euros

Just what exactly do you do which enable's you to fund this lifestyle? Or is your surname Abramovich? If it is, can you lend me a tenner?

Damn, I wish I was not so sceptical of others....
snow conditions
Guvnor, I dont know about the financial calcs, but LT does have a lto of instructors/hours of instruction.

BUT she isnt saying you need to anywhere near this, but for her particular disability it helps lots. The fact that she seems to like learning new stuff all the time from skilled people is a fringe benefit.
Most people can benefit from an external skilled input. I am almost entirely self taught - but in a few sessions Easiski gave me lots of new ideas and now I love skiing on the 'wrong' edge Cool
I would have never learnt that from watching other skiers (even instructors in passing, cos they dont do that usually (ski on the wrong edge that is, not pass, cos they do, if you are still with me?)) or from magazine articles. There may be some books out there, but I havnt read them.
snow report
What's this 2 or 3 hours a day business?

We do 6 hours per day (incl lunch break, but not apres).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight, It's about the standard of instruction. A good instructor, should be able, to get in the same as you do in 6 hrs, during 2-3. Toofy Grin wink

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 11-07-07 15:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Not if you fitted their boots Toofy Grin wink
snow report
300 hrs a season for how many seasons... ?? I'd want to be a world cup skier after that lot.. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
JT, I'm by no ways a great skier, but i've had four hours(tuition)off a buddy. Does that mean i'm cr@p?
ski holidays
Guvnor, To be fair I think you are a decimal point out in your first line and maybe lessons become cheaper if you buy in bulk but still Euro 30-40k all up. Plus travel to other side of the world & US & continental Europe. Have to get into a flexible career that pays me enough to do that. Course I'd spunk a part of the lesson budget on helis and destroy the planet faster.

See there you go LT it's just jealousy on my part. wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 11-07-07 18:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

I guess it must do if you believe some people... I've had 2 hrs and I'm told I'm useless and know nothing....
latest report
fatbob,

I can do 50-70 days on snow for around $10,000 Oz dollars . Most of that cost is lessons.
ski holidays
Season ticket at Nevis Range £200 open 65 days last year Smile list price for lessons £25 per hour
ski holidays
Quote:

I can do 50-70 days on snow

little tiger, so are you saying you do 5 hours of lessons a day during your 50-70 day seasons? do you ever free ski or just ski with instructors?
snow report
skimottaret, Initially I had no choice - I needed someone with me to provide feedback for my body movements (I don't really get any positional feedback or muscle tension feedback)... (well if they had set up a HUGE mirror system I might have not needed the feedback) The resort doctor tried to stop me skiing because he was a friend of my brothers and was looking out for my safety - not because he is a nasty guy.

Then I got used to it... so I had lessons although I did not still NEED them - but because I LIKED them...

When I left Oz I would ski my start of season warm up alone ... start booking lessons dependant on slopes open... Most days I took lessons - because I like them... but would have days with friends at their resort... or days "off" just skiing with my ex (he was a trainer but only gives "tips" to other halves will NOT teach them) and his kids, and friends.

I usually have 3 hour lessons - sometimes 2 or 4... 6 for fresh snow days (that is the boys reward for having taught me well ... they get to play instead of stay on piste)
snow report
I think I'll continue to have lessons on holiday next year. The instructors teach Mon-Thurs (the children race on the Friday and there is prize giving so no time for lessons). I've been having a 1 hour private lesson for the 4 days and practising for the rest of the time. For me this is a good balance. I find having the instructor with me gives me confidence. If he thinks I've improved next year I shall ask him to take me to a harder slope.
snow report
Megamum, IMO he should do that anyway, without waiting to be asked.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy