Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heeeeeeeee eeeeeeelp!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Trying to organise a ski trip for about 15 people.
want somewhere with the spec of Courchevel, Meribel, Tignes, VDI etc....but without the money tree...if you see what I mean!

Any suggestions?!!?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andorra?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What age ranges? What sort of sliders? What accomodation? Nightlife? Time of year?......etc.

With a group of 15 you'll get some nice discounts - free places, free lift passes etc. try www.iglu.co.uk and see what offers they will do.

Andorra isn't much cheaper! It's a false economy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dan, it isn't? Having never been, I can only claim that I've been lied to all these years. Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went a couple of years ago to Soldeu and it was hardly any cheaper, if at all. Infact i think overall it was more expensive actually. The transfer is a complete pain as well. I'd rather go anywhere else in Europe than Andorra again, it was full of drunken tossers.............mostly British! Embarassed It was a bit 18-30, typical larger (no offence "Lager") louts package holiday. I didn't think it could be much worse then the buses went to Pas to pick people up................... Shocked Confused

You can do it on the cheap as anywhere, infact a 2L bottle of 70% absynthe was about 3 euros................ rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, we are a group mid twenties mixed sex, ranging from complete novices to experienced skiers/boarders.

Prefer to be in a catered chalet, but feel it is going to be too much of a drain on the finances. Will start looking at self catered.

Going out last week of jan or first week feb (before half terms kick in!).

We're not a bunch of drunken british tossers, but do hunger for a good nightlife!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i've found that catered chalets are usually the cheapest way to go. Budget for £50 per person per night based on 2 sharing.

There's a group of 15 of you, you'll have fun where ever you go, even if there is only 1 bar! That's what we find anyway and we go as a similar age group.

If you are after ultra cheap then try places that have hostels..........don't know any but it's all here somewhere on snowHeads i think.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks Dan,

£50 per night is a lot cheaper than what I have found - more like £80 odd. Where did you go/stay to find such good prices?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you're talking cheap, self-caterered accommodation can be had in the likes of Bourg St Maurice, with access to the Paradiski domain (Les Arcs/La Plagne) for as little as £400 for 10 people last week of Jan. There's stilll a bit around, although we're booked up... Definitely best to go last week of Jan if possible.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weirdonorskie, we still have availablility for the first two weeks in Jan at £290 & £300 per weekfor a catered chalet. Check out our ad in snowShops or go to www.tracksvacations.com for full details.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
weirdonorskie, I have used these guys before last year and again over this new year: www.flexiblebreaks.com - free transfers if you get the late ryan air flight from stanstead. stay any number of nights you want. The Ryan Air flights I think are about £30inc taxes at the moment for flying at the end of Jan depending on days you travel. Food's good and the craic is excellent out in Sauze D'Oulx and the transfer is only 1 hour. Part of the milky way (Vialetta) so 400km (apparently) of linked piste, lots of motorway sliding.

They can also take you to Courmayeur (Italy), Sestriere (Italy) and Montgenevre (France) as they have places there as well. One of our forum members is working for them this year as well as having such a good time on holiday last year with them (not me!).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hate doing this as I haven't posted that much - the evil work monster has been cutting into my play time Sad

We have availability for January starting from about £60 per person per night, fully catered. Our chalet is right on the piste in Vallandry, part of the Paradiski area and the area offers good all-round terrain for the beginners and more advanced.

Have a look at our website ( www.thefreeride.co.uk ) for more details and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I found Soldeu, Andorra far cheaper than France, Switzerland and Italy. A quadruple vodka (which seemed to be the standard measure) and tonic was a couple of quid. Food was dirt cheap too (and not bad, although there wasn't anywhere upmarket if you wanted to splash out on one quality evening out).

Quite a few posters have mentioned that Andorra's nowhere near as cheap as reputation suggests, perhaps I had more money then which is why it seems cheap compared to places I've been to since!

The transfer was pretty bad though, skiing was OK (this was before they agreed to share a lift pass with the neighbouring resort), snow cover was average (early March), the runs back to the village were narrow and got messed up by 2PM. I didn't go to ski school but people I travelled with who did said it was good.

You will find a load of Brits and Irish on cheap package deals tucking into the booze but there are places you can go for a quieter night out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
weirdonorskie, you could try Les 2 Alpes, cheaper than other french mega resorts, decent night-life (by french resort standarts), varied skiing but a bit lacking for the really good skiers/boarders (really depends on what you mean by experienced - people that are confortable on red runs or people that own avalance transcievers?).
Another posibility - Solden in Austria. Decent skiing (snowshure, 2 glaciers), pretty good night life, popular with the 20's crowd, and you can get rooms in small B&B for less than 40 euros per night.
Andorra used to be significantly cheaper. It isn't cheaper anymore if you book a 4 star hotel in Soldeu or Pas Dela Casa, but if you book a 3 star hotel in Arinsal or Ordino you still get very good value, and if you factor in a few nights of serious drinking it is still quite cheap.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sugardaddy wrote:
weirdonorskie, you could try Les 2 Alpes, cheaper than other french mega resorts, decent night-life (by french resort standarts), varied skiing but a bit lacking for the really good skiers/boarders (really depends on what you mean by experienced - people that are confortable on red runs or people that own avalance transcievers?).
Another posibility - Solden in Austria. Decent skiing (snowshure, 2 glaciers), pretty good night life, popular with the 20's crowd, and you can get rooms in small B&B for less than 40 euros per night.

Funnily enough I would suggest both those places as well.

Never been Les 2 Alpes but I know a couple of people who have been (one owns a small studio there). Nightlife is apparently excellent and I believe it is pretty cheap.

I'm going with a group of 10 to Solden this year and everything I've read about makes me think we've chosen the right place. We chose it because the night life is supposed to be excellent and it also has a good variety of runs (oh and we needed a change from 3V and Espace Killy). Not that many British tour ops go there though. We booked through Neilson.
snow conditions
weirdonorskie, we have already solved this problem for a group of 16, although our night life is really self generated. Mark and Cathy are superb hosts at a very reasonable price in the heart of Paradiski on the right fringe of Les Arc at Peisey Nancroix. Look at www.go-alpine.co.uk or ask info@go-alpine.co.uk snowHead
latest report
Quote:

you could try Les 2 Alpes, cheaper than other french mega resorts, decent night-life (by french resort standarts), varied skiing but a bit lacking for the really good skiers/boarders (really depends on what you mean by experienced - people that are confortable on red runs or people that own avalance transcievers?).

Which type doen't it suit?
latest report
I have to disagree with the "Andorra's no cheaper" comments! Come on guys, where else would you pay 2.40E for a litre of vodka ( other than Bansko)

I go to Pas de la casa all the time, and its dirt cheap, ski hire is cheaper, life passes are cheaper, tuition is dirt cheap! meals out are cheaper, shops in resort dont charge the earth just because theyre the only ones there!! ( I got my brothers oakleys for 85e instead of £145)

Never been to Soldeu, but my mum, youngest brother and i have stayed in Arinsal, and are going back there in March, and its very family friendly, down to earth, relaxed and fun. Again its very cheap, although there arent as many shops as Pas, the ones they have are v reasonable, the resort supermarkets dont rip you off if you're self catering and everyone has a good laugh!

The transfer is no more horrific than alot of the alpine resorts on transfer day, and if you're doing a self drive, you have a choice of 5 airports!

But I wouldnt go to Pas de la casa or andorra if youre chalet people, cos there arent many at all, the only ones ive heard of are in el tarter (next to soldeu), but if its good skiing and good nightlife you're after then give it a go, failing that - Alpe D'huez
latest report
 brian
brian
La Tania could be worth a look. You're only a couple of lifts from either Meribel or Courchevel and it's significantly cheaper than either.

Night life is somewhat limited though (one big noisy Brit/Aussie pub and a couple of quieter bars).
ski holidays
Les Duex Alpes or Livigno
latest report
Hi Weirdonorski,

www.banskotravel.com can offer 15EUR per night incl. breakfast for everyone, but it depends when and the duration of your staying.
check out the site or write straight to the contact email if you're interested in Bansko.
snow conditions
T Bar, the latter
snow report
sugardaddy, That suprises me, I won't contradict you because I don't know the resort well nor am I a skier of desperately tough slopes. On my brief visits though there looked to be a fair amount of steep inbounds skiing as well as trips over to La Grave and down to St Christoph, which I have heard is fairly steep for the avid off piste merchant. The black runs didn't look any more gentle than others.
ski holidays
weirdonorskie, A couple of people have mentioned La Plagne or other resorts in Paradiski. This would be my recommendation as well, it would certainly match your group's skiing requirements. Chalets are plentiful at 1800 but you would have to go up to Plagne Centre for anything appoaching nightlife
snow conditions
weirdonorskie,
I know of a self-catered chalet in Alpe d'Huez - between 15 of you the price would work out at 200Euros per person, per week!! Check out www.mountain-logistics.net and look under Chalet Oursine. Catering could be organised! Very Happy
latest report
sarah@alpedhuez, Do you happen to know where chalet Robert is in relation to either the bucket lift or Smithy's Bar? (My only two reference points in the town)
latest report
Chalet Robert is really central, about 2 mins walk from the Bucket lift and about 5 to Smithys - its a pretty chalet.
snow report
T Bar, the inbound skiing is quite mild. To get to La grave you have to hike, and to really enjoy it you really have to hire a guide (there has been a rather lengthy thread about this, recently). There are many people that don't want the hassle (thank god!)so bottom line, there are better resorts that offer more black slopes and off piste that is close to the lifts ( Val Dispair or St Anton for example)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Weirdonorskie

We are based in Bansko and have accommodation available for 15 the period you are looking at. have a look at our website. (www.devonshirelodge.com) Although our web prices show for B&B we are only too happy to quote for half board. We also offer a free place for booking a group of 10 or more. You dont need a money tree for Bansko. 0.5 litre Beer 40p.... 50g Vodka (uk double) 35p need I go on!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy