Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Esprit

Poster: A snowHead
We are looking at a family trip using Ski Esprit in 2008 and looking for some information on them as a company. There will be 3 of us, our daughter being 3 when we go. In the past we have self catered since our daughter has been with us but want to try something different. Most important is how are they with children, safety of the chosen residences etc? Thanks for any help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ended up travelling with them to La Rosiere a couple of years ago. Our chalet didn't have any kids - a shortage of nannies in the town meant the Esprit had to sell to groups of adults.

Our room in the chalet, while small, was fine for four lads out on the pop every night. The food was excellent and the hosting was fine, apart from one of the chalet nannies who just looked miserable all week. I think she missed having children to look after.

In our room alone
- none of the light fittings were properly maintained, including one over the bunk bed that was within easy reach of anyone over a year old
- the wiring for the radiator in the en suite bathroom was hanging out
- the ladder to the bunk bed was loose
- most of the elefctrical outlets were loose

The poor fitting of the lights and outlets was so bad that it would be easy for even the chubbiest adult to get their fingers into.

On the plus side, out chalet was across the road from the main lift, a five minute walk from the town centre, and was next to one of the nursery/day cares centres. You could, in theory, ski back to the chalet door as well.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't been with them personally but I have two friend who have used them and can't speak highly enough of them. One holiday was in Las Rosiere and one in Les Arcs 2000. They were impressed with the child care facilities, especially the couple with a one year old. I know they are looking to book with them again. I have used Ski Total twice which is the sister company and can only speak highly of them also. Never had any problems.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
edoakes wrote:
We are looking at a family trip using Ski Esprit in 2008 and looking for some information on them as a company. There will be 3 of us, our daughter being 3 when we go. In the past we have self catered since our daughter has been with us but want to try something different. Most important is how are they with children, safety of the chosen residences etc? Thanks for any help.

Used Esprit last 2 years with 3 kids and booked again for this January. It costs a fortune, the rooms and the food ain't the best sometimes but our kids have been brillantly looked after and in reality thats all I care about. I could be a in 5 star hotel but if the kids ain't happy then I am in trouble.

They take our kids of us at 9am and hand them back at 6pm. They are fed well and keep busy all day. I did feel a twinge of sadness at my abandoning them for a week while skiing but that normally lasts until the first red run. It is selfish but I know in years to come they shall bleed me dry of money so do I care Smile

In 2009 (yes that far ahead) we won't use esprit as the kids will only need part lessons and we will want to ski with them. Buying a place in Les Arcs, which can work out cheaper than using Esprit Puzzled

No hesitation in recommending them if you have young kids and want to ski all day.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 4-07-07 15:35; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Used them once and the kids were happier with them than any of the other similar operators that we tried. They kept them fully entertained all day such that they didn't miss us when we left them. (kids would have been 2 and 3). On that single experience I would be very happy to recommend them, though I do appreciate that the staffing will never be the same from year to year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We used them for the last 3 years running for my daughter (from 6 months old first time) and will probably use them again this year.
We've always stayed in hotels in Austria(Neustift/Kaprun/Scheffau) so haven't had any chalet issues, but the childcare has been excellent each time.
I'd recommend them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Used them last season in Les Gets and it was very successful, so will use them again next season (kids are 3 and 6). Our three year old went into the ski lessons and had a great time. Chalet was new so no problems. Thy knew how to look after the kids. Yes it is expensive but Mark Warner is even more expensive as Espirit have free child places
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have used Esprit annually for 10 years now since our first child was born (often as well as a second ski trip with other operators / independently - one year we went with them twice in a season!). I agree with lots of what qwaelod has said: in a nutshell (usually) excellent childcare and (nearly always) iffy other stuff - often dreadful overal resort management, clueless reps and (depending when you go) daft / demotivated / exhausted / lovely 'pre students' to look after your food and chalet/chalet hotel. I must admit I find it hard to enjoy myself and still pay full Esprit whack (£4-5k for a week eating rubbish food served by bleary eyed kids and getting a bad back on a poor bed is tricky) but sadly Esprit are getting good at managing their capacity and last minute bargains are getting much harder - particulaly if you need to coordiate childcare - however a famly of 3 is a lot easier than 4 as you'll sleep in same room. Do be careful not to be too keen to get your little guy skiing too early - we have seen so many Esprit parents over the years clearly desperate to get junior to have what they didn't get (some also seem to want to dump their kids so they can bug off and do what they enjoyed before kids) and end up just putting them off for life - If I was 3 years old I'd prefer fun in the snow and playing with my parents too so I went home with positive snow associations - You can pick them up at noon / after a supervised lunch and spend the afternoon together though. We have stayed in many of their resorts and chalets / hotels and would be happy to advise if you want help on which may suit best.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One thought if you are worried about adult groups mixed up with families - there are companies that will only put families in a chalet together. One is Ski Famille, there are bound to be others. (I should flag up bias - I run Ski Famille!).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Welcome to snowHeads thomoski, snowHead

...and full marks for the upfront disclosure Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thomoski, Laughing Laughing Laughing

And welcome to SnowHeads.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm firmly in the camp that accept the Ski Espirt has it's flaws but does the child care and "child team" bit great. We've been with them twice and have already booked to go again with them to Tignes in January. The food can be a bit shaky becasue they try to hard on presentation and trendy food rather than good wholesome stuff. But the kid's food has always been good and in volume.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FWIW I would always choose a smaller, quality driven company such as Ski Famille above the big firms like Esprit. Same goes for adult holidays in the chalet holiday field.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Fish ing for discount? Laughing

thomoski, Welcome to snowHeads, please stay around a knowledgeable voice on the subject of ski holidays is always welcome ! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, Do they do a "Care for the elderly whilst the youngsters blast around the mountain" package?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, With an aeging population you may have hit a new market niche with that comment Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
I like the idea of that one. Large vin chaud and a rug over the knees out on the terrace - I can almost see the brochure now.
ski holidays
thomoski, Very Happy Stick around I can see that you will fit in well Laughing
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, whilst there not small, I'm not sure whether I'd put Ski Esprit in the "big" bracket, IMHO I'd say that they were of the same scale as say Ski Olympic or Le Ski - I stand to be proved wrong/
ski holidays
thank you all very much for the help on this one. If OK I will mail some of you for some further opinion on Esprit. Thomoski, looks good and will be in touch. Thanks again. Ed
snow report
edoakes wrote:
thank you all very much for the help on this one. If OK I will mail some of you for some further opinion on Esprit. Thomoski, looks good and will be in touch. Thanks again. Ed

Not an issue Very Happy
snow conditions
edoakes, OK by me Very Happy
snow conditions
Haven't been with Ski esprit, have heard great things about them, except one freind commented on the size of the little creche room

Would recommend family ski company. With them you can book your own flights and transfers if necessary, which means you can be assured of getting your child through the transfer safely.

I am always amazed that esprit are a young family company and yet cannot provide seat belts for the coach transfers. Little children become missiles if not adequately strapped in and for me that has always been the biggest safety issue with these large companies

Gryphea
latest report
wellyski, interesting handle...you've not posted here for a while as I recollect. I also recollect some very bright red boots - purchased just after you were drinking in the "last skiing holiday ever" saloon!!

Hope you're well, dropped you an email t'ther day.
snow report
We went to Morzine (no longer available) with Esprit , took our two year old and agree with most of posts on here. Child care was brilliant, allowing us to relax and enjoy the skiing as well as a couple of afternoons sledging with the little one. Accomodation was basic and food was similar. However, the priorities were: good child care, done; good skiing, done; able to relax and enjoy without worrying, done; food in belly, done; loads of free (crap) wine, done; spacious room with all mod cons, not done! However, I've roughed it worse before kids arrived in order to be able to ski so a week in a shoe box is worth it if that's all the budget (mine) runs to.

Met two families who were on their 11th and 14th Esprit holidays which seemed a pretty good endorsement to me!

We now have two ankle biters, eldest will ski (4 yr old) and 1 yr old will do nursery. No hesitation in booking Esprit again as far cheaper than Mark Warner, Club Med etc.

Question is, where to go....

Anyone been to Kaprun with Esprit and got any good/ bad feedback? Thoughts on Kaprun in general would also be appreciated.
ski holidays
Ski Tyke, Not been to Kaprun sorry - we have been to Scheffau with esprit which had good hotel (better than standard esprit) but long haul to slopes as bus etc. as per normal Austrian ski hol - not great with kids as everything was too spread out. Try La Rosiere - it is perfect for kids and parents - ski in and out everything is close and handy - plus esprit are biggest operator in resort so have some strength in numbers. If you do think about it try and fly to Chambery to reduce transfer. oodles of skiing as La Thuile area is easy to get to. Little Angel
snow conditions
Ski Tyke, Its only a personal opinion but if there is little snow in the village then the glacier is a right chew to get to. I found the queing for the buses and gondolas both ways to be very unpleasant and aggressive. We found the nest thing was to go the other way against the tide and get the bus 15mins to Zell am Zee. I would also second the shout for La Rosiere Very Happy, a slice of Austria in France. transfer no where near as short as Kaprun though.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

also second the shout for La Rosiere

Have you bought a place in La Ros yet Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, [whitegolde mode] French ski properties are over priced. Buy elsewhere nefore the crash. [/whitegold mode]
ski holidays
wellyski, Frosty the Snowman, thanks for the advice. Based on this and some other research I am now focusing my attention on La Ros. Always seem to have overlooked it before but looks promising. Cheers!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy