Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallandry. Do you know it well? Advice on where to find my 'ski-legs' 1st day please.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We now have got everything booked for Vallandry for Feb half term and I have succeeded in getting Level 3 (http://www.skinewgen.com/indexlevels.htm) group lessons booked with NewGen (see other thread for that story!) for the Monday to Friday.

What I would like is some advice on where to go to do some safe practice on the Sunday in the Vallandry area. I am, as some of you have seen(!) very nervous on anything I perceive as steep! If you know Xscape at either Cas or MK, the steepest parts at the top of their slopes is about my limit - I think they describe it as 15%. On the lower parts of their slopes (10%) I am absolutely fine, as I am on all the slope at Tamworth (as long as I keep to the outside of the bend!).

Yes I know there is no rush for such information as it is months away - I am just getting a bit excited like a big kid because it's all booked and I'm kind of doing the "Tigger" thing Laughing Never in my life before have I looked forward to winter!

I can't find any decent piste or resort maps online, so if you have any links to such resources that would be really good (or do you happen to have an unwanted local map that you'd be prepared to post to me?)

(PS I am away 5-19th July, so no posts doesn't mean I am ignoring anyone!)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 4-07-07 21:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a broad, gentle plateau at the top of the Grizzly and Vallandry chairlifts which is ideal terrain for first day finding of ski legs. From that area there are several gentle reds and a long blue (should be green) piste which meanders through the forest back to Vallandry. The NewGen meeting point is at the bottom of the Vallandry chairlift.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NewSkier, agree with rob@rar, that area is wide and very gentle and an ideal place to practice. Is also served by a little lift which just takes you back to the top - my only note of caution is that it is an old style lift - i.e. can whack you on back of legs if not careful.

On this plateau there is also a nice cafe and sun terrace for coffee etc

From the top there is also La Foret which takes you all the way down to village and is a road in summer - is therefore very gentle. Our 4 year old has done it easily.

PM me your address and I can send you a piste map from last year
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks ever so much both of you - I have PM's you my address Boris Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
my only note of caution is that it is an old style lift - i.e. can whack you on back of legs if not careful.

Charmettoger lift is the same over towards Transarc. Absolutely lethal. Definitely knocks any cramp out of the calves. Mad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Make sure you stand just a bit ahead of the person going up with you - they will then helpfully slow the chair down with their legs, making it easier for you to sit down wink Toofy Grin

(Assuming its at least a 2 person chair!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy wrote:
Make sure you stand just a bit ahead of the person going up with you - they will then helpfully slow the chair down with their legs, making it easier for you to sit down wink Toofy Grin

Wife normally with me so she knows the score and I have to take it like a man. Ok I moan like a little girl, it hurts Embarassed . New Plan Bois chairlift opening this year will give a reason to avoid my hated one going to Transarc.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy, thanks for the tip! Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cathy, that works well - only failed when my father in law also tried to get on with me and Mrs and it was a 2 man chair. My that lift attendant could curse Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Actually my biggest concern is getting up off the chair again, my last experience being in Tignes when totally exhausted, having made my way down a slope too steep for me, the leg muscles had completely gone to the point of quivering. When I tried to stand up to get off the chairlift back up to the top of the funicular the leg muscles simply went on strike! I ended up on the deck in an undignified heap wedged against a snowheap, and had to be extricated by a friend and a liftie! Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cathy wrote:

Now you've done it - letting the secret out into the open like that will cause chaos. rolling eyes

Next time there's 2 snowHead lined up alongside each other waiting for one of these lifts they'll both be slowly creeping forward trying to get slightly in front of each other and most likely 1 or both will end up falling off the front of the loading ramp in a rather embarassing heap.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FenlandSkier, Laughing Laughing I must admit the OH and I sometimes have a bit of a shuffling competition. I always win though! Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NewSkier, Not as bad as when I took my 5 year old up. All the way I told him how to get off the chair and to make sure he didn't fall - of course at the top I fell and got hit on the head by the chair. He skied off with a backwards glance and a sigh that only your children can make when embarressed by their dad rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier, cathy, I will be working on some distraction techniques: "Hey look at that rare bird over there..." CLUNK!

Boris, oh poor you - which hurt most the bash on the head or the juvenile despair??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NewSkier, the look from the kids Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy