Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELP needed selecting resort PLEASE

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
pam w, T Bar, I did caveat my comment! I should possibly have said "late booking for really nice accommodation within your price bracket that you really want to stay in" is a tad tricky. If it was me flying 24 hours I'd want to know that I was getting what I wanted in advance, rather than what was left after all the potentially more knowledgeable "locals" booked up.

Plus, there are a few "local" issues one might need to bear in mind, case in point being Muerren during Inferno week, not that that area is being suggested...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Murdoch,
I guess it is where your priorities lie. I would not like to fly half way around the world to be greeted by indifferent snow in the knowledge that I could have had better snow by delaying and I don't believe there is a single resort that does not suffer indifferent snow occasionally in the early season. Even more occassionally the shortage will be generalised and the wait won't do you a lot of good though it will not do you harm.
Unless I had a particular reason for wanting a particular resort I would hold off as my personal experience has consistently been that reasonable accommodation in low season is not unduly difficult to find. In fact by holding off it can frequently be got on a bargain basis if you want a chalet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you all for your suggestions. Slightly confused Confused but I have lots of info to go through and will let you know where we end up selecting. We had a great time in Grindelwald and my husband is keen to go back there. We loved the atmosphere all the little swiss chalets etc the shops and great restaurants. Its not ski in/ski out but their free ski bus service is excelent. We went in Feb 06 and I am worried about snow levels for Jan there, as its a lower altitude.
Comming from such a long distance away and the cost to get there with limited time avail to us and once I decide where we will stay, I will book asap. Just cant risk it. Its alright for you UK lot, you only have to catch a few hour train ride there Mad Oh well I still would not want to live anywhere other than Australia.( no car bombs here Very Happy ) We will all just prey to the snow gods for lots of snow next season. Actually this season here in Aus it has been an absolutley fantastic start to the ski season. Heaps of snow already after the worst season on record last year.
Having skiied in Switzerland and the again in Australia well you just cant compare it. Its the long runs we loved our mountains just arent tall enough.
On a different track altogether has anyone here been to Arosa in Switzerland?? I know its not French speaking but the town is beautiful, the runs look good from the piste map and its one of the highest resort towns in Switzerland (i think) Someone I met once recommended it to me.
love to know if anyone has skiied there and where they stayed.
cheers Lynn
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Being one of the few snowHead who's NOT living in Europe, I think I can understand your concern. Once you paid for your air, there's that unsettling feeling until the loding is also nailed down. Wink

However, it's also as much as a state of mind. As many of the snowheads might tell you, the more you "pratice" booking last minute, the more comfortable you become at the idea of NOT having a firm booking, knowing from past experience you WILL be able to find suitable ones. (we're talking about low season here, after all)

Snow condition in that time of the year is a serious concern. Nailing down the lodging might expose you to poor snow when nearby resort have considerable better condition.

Another possible option is to choose amoungst lodging options one with liberal cancellation policy so you can have the luxury of changing your destination as time gets close.

Another factor for someone who has to fly the whole family half way around the world to get to the Alps, the cost of the flight is so much everything else pales in comparison. Personally, I'd prefer to find the best snow condition, even if that means booking late and paying slightly more. It's going to be a drop in the bucket after all. OK, maybe not the Ritz. But once you shell out $9000 for air fare, what's a couple hundred € extra for lodging which basically amounst to 2-3% of the total budget, if it makes for a considerably better snow time?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

cost of the flight is so much everything else pales in comparison.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. If I was paying out that, I'd want more than the standard 6 days skiing, thanks very much! We have family living in Oz and they have skied here, and in New Zealand (not Australia, they said it was cheaper for them to fly to New Zealand!) and they were overwhelmed with the size of our area (not the biggest in the Alps!) and by the quality of lifts (again, ours aren't top flight!).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abc wrote:
The Club Med thing.

I've not stayed in one. But I met a fellow on the plane going and coming back to last year's MSB. He was skiing at St. Moritz and his cost is about the same as mine!!! So much for Club Med being expensive -- not necceessary.

The trick though, he booked his trip very close to the time.

So, sort out the flight first and leave the resort to the last minute as others all suggested. And if a resort has Club Med in it, you can include them as an option as well.

Club can be a fairly decently priced deal during the off season, at least in Wengen were i have teached most of last season, but i wouldn't go there as a guest...

English is not very much not the general language at the Club, it wasn't always easy even for non-french speaking instructors (we get hired by the club through the SSSW), I doubt it will be much better for the guests. Wengen's club gets a very very low number of brits. i'm guessing its 50% french, 25% dutch, remainder is english speaking mostly outside the britisch isles, german and russian.

I'm very Wengen focused due to my rather extended stay there, and what I would probably prefer is book the 3 star Falken which offers breakfast/4 course dinner for not too evil prices. Lunch on the mountain, ski all day long
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ronald wrote:
Club can be a fairly decently priced deal during the off season, at least in Wengen were i have teached most of last season, but i wouldn't go there as a guest...

English is not very much not the general language at the Club, it wasn't always easy even for non-french speaking instructors (we get hired by the club through the SSSW), I doubt it will be much better for the guests. Wengen's club gets a very very low number of brits. i'm guessing its 50% french, 25% dutch, remainder is english speaking mostly outside the britisch isles, german and russian.

I'm very Wengen focused due to my rather extended stay there, and what I would probably prefer is book the 3 star Falken which offers breakfast/4 course dinner for not too evil prices. Lunch on the mountain, ski all day long

Well, given aussie_bunny's children need to pratice French, a "very low percentage brits" sounds like a plus rather than a minus? Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy