Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELP needed selecting resort PLEASE

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, great forum by the way, I need help selecting a location and accommodation for our next ski holiday.
We were thinking of club med mainly because of the all inclusive factor, but from some posts I've read here it seams many of you aren't reallly fans of it.
We will be comming all the way from Australia so we want to get it right. Also there is not much info avail here except for the Club med and expensive type places, even with the internet it is still hard to work out what you will be getting. So here is our detail and what we are looking for and i hope as many of you as possible can give us some suggestions so i at least have a starting point for more research. We have been skiing 5 times (so thats only 5 week experience), ski intermediate runs in Australia but went to Grindelwald last year and only skiied the blue runs.
2 adults and 2 teenagers, 13 and 15 all beginner to easy intermediate ability
Date wanting to travel - around 1st or 2nd week of Jan08
we want ski in /ski out location
France or switzerland but in French speaking area (kids taking French at school)
High altitude - for more reliability for good snow seeing as we need to go early Jan
Lodge or Hotel that includes both breakfast and dinner
not too expensive, so probably a 3 or 3.5 star

PLEASE HELP with suggestions either hotels or at least just regions that you think might suit us.
Untill you have actually skiied at the area it is really hard to tell just looking at a piste map
Looking forward to your replies and Thankyou in advance.
Lynn
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Lynn,

A useful resource might be www.ultimate-ski.com. It's not sponsored by the resorts so views are independent - and written by people who know the areas well.

Portes du Soleil area - one of the largest areas in Europe spanning France and French speaking Swiss resorts, and I IMHO a bit of an intermediate paradise; the area (at least the French sectors) tends to do better for snow than its altitude would suggest.. Avoriaz has good height, a club med plus a selection of hotels that would do full board and should be ski in-out. Alternatives in the area include Morzine and Les Gets if you prefer more alpine ambiance although you're unlikely to get ski in-out. Also very easy from Geneva - although depending how you route through you mind arrive into Zurich. Check www.avoriaz.com for accomodation - I believe that the search engine is quite flexible (but never used it).

There'll be plenty more suggestions along soon...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Club Med is a very 'French' experience. Although your kids are doing French at school, and may be keen to practise, they will benefit more from having their ski lessons in English.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are not keen to have lessons, although if they were included such as at club med I'm sure they would use at least some.
Their experience with lessons in Australia has put them off. And yes definatly in English their french is not that good, just thought it would be fun for them to actually try using it. Have just had a look at Avoriaz and it does look good. My 15 year old is really more just beginner level even though she has been skiing the same number of times as the 13 year old.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
aussie ski bunny, welcome to snowheads

If your 15 year old is beginner level then please please please get them to have lessons, don't let bad habits become ingrained. Having said that, the french ski school ESF has had bad press regarding its english language classes in varying resorts; once you;ve decided on a resort, you may wish to ask for recommendations of ski schools or even specific instructors

I'd suggest also looking at the resorts on the Haute Savoie - La Rosiere, the Espace Killy (Tignes and Val d'Isere) and Paradiski (Les Arcs and La Plagne). The latter two ski areas each cover multiple resorts and off many many miles of great skiing for all abilities, while La Rosiere offers the chance to hop over into Italy. You could even try a two centre holiday quite easily this way as the resorts are close enoug to permit a quick hop over, or even day trips

mysnowsports.com is run by a chap whoc lives in the valley, he may be able to offre more advice and info
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
aussie ski bunny, Club Med is very downmarket nowadays. The french that stay there tend to be the sort you probably wouldn't want your kids to meet! Also their lessons are big groups with the ESF so tend not to be much use anyway. Most of the instructors I know dislike working with the Club Med bunch, especially the kids because they're so badly behaved!

I recommend here (obviously) as an area with very high skiing, guaranteed whenever you come. If you were flying to Paris you could comfortably get the TGV to Grenoble and then a bus or taxi up from there (about 1-1.5 hours). We have a huge ski area and a lively town (real village, even if not chocolate box). Unlike the Haute Savoie and the Tarantaise, many of the locals struggle with English, so your kids can practise hard at speaking french. The locals are friendly and the ski schools speak english. There are several really good options available on the ski lesson front.

First choose your resort I'd say, and then we can all help you find the accommodation. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
aussie ski bunny, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

La Plagne is a nice resort for early intermediates - Belle Plagne especially is a bit easier on the eye and is ski in/out. It's also quite high so a good chance for decent snow and there are some good ski schools there. I'd go with the others in recommending that your children really should get decent ski lessons - they should see their skiing improve dramatically Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At least in early Jan it wont be French school holidays. Has anyone here actually stayed at any of the Club Med places?
So far we are looking at Les Menuires, Les arcs 2000 and Avoriaz as the general areas that might be suitable.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
aussie ski bunny, how are things in 'Wait Awhile', I've got some good memories of the time I spent in Perth and Fremantle. The suggestion about flights to Paris is a good one as you can get a TGV to just about any of the main Alpine resorts in both the Northern and Southern Alps. Alternatively a flight to Geneva could enable you to link up with a British tour operator, who mostly use Geneva. If you are willing to consider a chalet holiday instread of a hotel this could give you access to a wider set of options, most of the chalet operators offer transfers to/from Geneva. For an indication of what's available have a look at our website www.tracksvacations.com La Rosiere has already been recommended and it could be a good choice for you. The village is small and friendly, it's popular with Aussies, certainly the ones who work here in the season, it's got a very good snow record, consistently in the top five French resorts for snow cover, it has a link to Italy on the single ski-pass which is great value, there are 3 very good ski schools in the village. January is always quiet and good value and if you want to try different resorts the 3 biggest resorts in France, Val d'Isere, Tignes and Les Arcs are all within 40 minutes drive.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 4-07-07 10:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
aussie ski bunny,

I will put in my usual recommendation as most other people have.

Early january is a time of very variable snow falls you can hope for reasonable snow in most places but some years the snow will be patchy or very icy if it hasnt snowed for a while.
Nowhere is sure to have good snow though it is more common in some areas than others.
Although going high may increase your chances of good snow there are some years where it is much better early season in the lower resorts of the prealps or the southern alps.
Providing that your holiday does not coincide with the new year period there is should be no difficulty in getting reasonably priced accommodation in early january at the last minute in the resort of your choice according to where the snow is.

If I was coming all the way from Oz at that time I would book flights to a convenent airport such as Geneva and then book accommodationmuch closer to the time by where the snow has fallen. If possible at that time of the year I would go for somewhere with a decent amount of skiing below the tree line in case the weather is stormy. Glaciers and high altitude skiing are great when the snow is poor elsewhere and the weather is warm but if it is cold and windy they can be very bleak places.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
aussie ski bunny wrote:
So far we are looking at Les Menuires, Les arcs 2000 and Avoriaz as the general areas that might be suitable.

You might want to add Courchevel (village at 1850m preferably) to your shortlist as I think it offers everything you've listed, plus has a couple of very good British run ski schools which would improve your kids perception of ski lessons considerably.
snow report
 brian
brian
aussie ski bunny wrote:

Oh dear, may as well throw in Tignes for the full house of 60s brutalism Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian wrote:
Oh dear, may as well throw in Tignes for the full house of 60s brutalism Sad

.....might as well add Flaine to the list if you want a full house of ugly resorts!

That said it's worth checking out as it's ski in/ski out from lots of the accommodation has great skiing for all standards across the Grand Massif area and we had some great english speaking lessons from ESI there (although it was a while ago now). If you don't mind missing out on the ski convenience then Les Carroz is a great place to stay and avoid the ugly car parks that pass as hotels and appartments in Flaine itself.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can I also add that perhaps lessons would help you to explore the area a bit more than just sticking to the blues. Your teachers will take you to places you may not attempt on your own. If you want to still stick to blues, and not have lessons, then choose a smaller, cheaper resort, there would be no need to choose somewhere large. Why not try a Mark Warner place instead of Club Med?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
aussie ski bunny wrote:
Has anyone here actually stayed at any of the Club Med places?

I think the point is that - as far as their Ski Resorts are concerned - it isn't usually English speakers staying there - a bit different from their Summer Resorts perhaps? Probably wrong - just a thought.
snow report
I think Axsman stayed at one (Alpe d'HUez), but wasn't very impressed, or rather his teenagers weren't , which probably sums it up really. We stayed in one about 12 years ago (Flaine) so too far back to comment , although food was good, and so was the childcare for young ones.
snow conditions
Quote:

At least in early Jan it wont be French school holidays.

As long as you don't arrive until 5th Jan - resorts will be packed until then. Best to wait until week beginning 12th, if you can - more chance of good snow. I think La Rosiere could well suit you, but most of the accommodation there is not ski in, ski out (that is probably not as vital as you think, as long as there is a good bus service, or not too far to walk). Personally I don't think Les Deux Alpes would be so good (sorry, easiski!) because the routes back down to the village are difficult and somewhat intimidating.

I don't know how much you know about the very British tradition of "catered chalets". There's heaps of arguments on Snowheads about their pros and cons. We always went to chalets till we bought our own apartment, generally fairly downmarket ones (they get as expensive as you like) and always enjoyed it. Good for teenagers, more chance of meeting others to ski with, and because you can take your own "duty frees" and get "tea and cakes" thrown in, after skiing, it saves a lot of money. Buying every single beer or cup of coffee in a hotel can cost a bomb. There are masses of chalets and if you chose a middle sized one (say around 16 people) you would have to be very unlucky to find yourself with all disagreeable fellow guests! Amongst good operators to look at (reliable and good value) are Ski Olympic. There have been plenty of good reports on the trax vacations chalet, too.

I would 100% echo the advice above about lessons. The quality of the ski tuition is the single most important factor to take into account - there's plenty of advice on here about that, too. Good instruction is fairly costly, but well worth it, for the whole family. If ski in/out is important La Plagne would probably be a good bet, though it doesn't have a great deal of "resort character". Belle Plagne is quite attractive. The advice on tree skiing is good, too (and a plus point for La Plagne). Places like Tignes are really grim in cold windy weather. But a lot of chalets in La Plagne are in Plagne 1800, which is not too convenient for access to the rest of the resort (no doubt someone will shortly come along and dispute that!).

Despite being a francophile I would also agree with the caution about Club Med. Huge great groups and French speaking instruction would be enough to put your kids off lessons for life. They might also find that the only other beginner/early intermediate skiers were all 6 years old; most French teenagers ski rather well!

A final point about chalets - quite a few of them have ski guides who will take groups of different abilities out to explore the area, a really big advantage if you are a bit under confident.

There's no rush to book accommodation for January, so take your time deciding on a resort.
snow conditions
I would add to the recommendation of Les Arcs. There is a big hotel in 2000 but It doesn't seem to have good press. We went to Les Arcs 1800 at New Year stayiong in the Du Golf. Excellent hotel and in prime location. I would also second the option of staying in a catered chalet. Try www.chaletsdirect.com
ski holidays
 brian
brian
pam w wrote:
Buying every single beer or cup of coffee in a hotel can cost a bomb.

As well as being decidedly greedy, what about the poor other guests ?! Laughing
latest report
aussie ski bunny wrote:
, Les arcs 2000 .

425km of skiing at your doorstep. We go every year 1st week of January and it is dead. Fantastic sking and pretty damn snow sure. However as somone else points out it is a bit of an ugly concrete jungle but that aside the skiing is amazing for all levels.
snow report
Wow my head is spinning with all that info. Shocked Will take a while and look at all the areas mentioned Thankyou.
Club Med just sounded easy but I guess a great holiday is more important. Excelent point about booking our flights
early but leaving the accommodation to much closer to the time to see where the best conditions are.
And you are right about the lesson thing. I can say for sure my 15 year old would refuse to have lessons with a bunch of 6 year olds.
ski holidays
You are traveling far. So you should make the best choice possible.

First, go high.

The village must be atleast 1500 meters, preferably 1800 meters.

Second, pick a worldclass resort.

It should have good daylife, cool nightlife and plenty of decent runs.

That limits your choice to just a handful, like St Moritz, Zermatt and Val d'Isere.

If I had to pick one, it would be St Moritz, the world's best allround ski resort.

Enjoy.
ski holidays
Whitegold,
Did you actually read what the question was?
aussie ski bunny, requested a French speaking resort that rules out two of your choices

She ? also asked for something for beginers and relatively early intermediates which makes Val d'I less than ideal.

She is also cost conscious which makes a 'World Class' whatever that is possibly less suitable.

Height does not guarantee the best snow early season it depends where it has fallen, there have been many times when lower resorts have more snow than higher ones.

I do agree with your last sentiment though snowHead
ski holidays
aussie ski bunny, if your kids and yourself all ski at the same standard, it may be just as cheap to book a few private lessons with an English-speaking instructor. They wouldn't be in children's ski school anyway if they are over 12.
snow report
 brian
brian
T Bar, does he ever ?

To add to your list: In terms of average snowcover, 1500m in the Alpes-Maritimes != 1500m in the Haute-Savoie != 1500m in the Tirol etc. etc. rolling eyes
snow report
brian,
Very true ,

I could also question whether Val d'Isere is actually French speaking it's almost as anglophonic as Meribel. wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Laughing Yes well if money was unlimited I guess it would be much easier to deside on a location and lodging. We would all like to stay somewhere worldclass. Considering it will cost us AUD$9000 for the 4 of us to fly there (thats about 3800 pounds) we will be looking for the best value for money we can get.
latest report
As long as you come after the new year week you'll have a good choice of accomodation - I'd agree with booking flights to Geneva first and then choosing accomodation as the snow pattern becomes clear. For me, going all that way, you want a bit of Alpine charm rather than purpose built places...Morzine's maybe a good choice because you can get up to Avoriaz no problem and it's much prettier.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You should get an apartment in the resort of Avoriaz for about €500 - 700. for the week after New Year. High so you will have more snow than most resorts (generalisation!). Fantastic restaurants but a bit pricey, you can also get Pizzas and bring them home if the budget does not allow.

If a world class resort is wanted and after all you are travelling half way around the world for this experience, try Zermatt. I stayed in a place on the high street (bahnhoffstrasse). Testa Grigia, it is only a pension and get B&B, they even have family rooms. You even have a view of that mountain (the name of which escapes me!! wink wink ) This should tick some of the boxes, Zermatt does not have to be expensive. Inconvenient perhaps but after all you can experience probably one of the best scenery europe has to offer.

You will have lots of advice on this site and by the way welcome to snowHead s
ski holidays
Quote:

You should get an apartment

But it didn't sound as though aussie ski bunny was looking for self catering. Nor for a place with the reputation for difficult skiing that Zermatt has (maybe wrongly, I've never been there). Don't forget, aussie ski bunny, come as late in January as you can, for best likelihood of snow.
ski holidays
pam w, I would agree that Zermatt is not great for low intermediate skiers. The easiest runs are very high and subject to poor visibility and high wind, especially at that time of year. When lifts are shut due to these conditions, everyone is funnelled onto quite steep and narrow runs. The majority of people were not coping at all well in these conditions when I was there last season in January.

Added to the facts that it's German speaking, relatively expensive and most of the accommodation is remote from the ski areas, I believe it's not one of Whitegold's better suggestions, given aussie ski bunny's requirements. I love it though! snowHead

aussie ski bunny, you might like to consider http://www.simonbutlerskiing.co.uk in Megève, France. Their package includes instruction at all levels, by native English speakers. They're good value for money, though the resort itself is not cheap. If you take your own packed lunch to the slopes you should get by without too much by way of extras. The only other requirement that it wouldn't meet is ski in/out, but the bus leaves from right outside every 15 mins and takes no more than 10 mins.
snow report
laundryman, Megeve in January for snow sureness?? I think not...
latest report
Blimey you are coming along way. Suggested resorts that might meet your criteria:

France

Courchevel 1550, 1650 or 1850 (1850 is the most expensive?). The ski area around 1650 will be fantastic for your group.
La Plagne will meet your criteria on the skiing.
Alpe d'huez - another good resort
Les Deuz Alpes
LEs Arcs/ Vallandry

I've suggested these resorts as they all higher and usually more reliable for snowcover

Morzine/ Avoriaz- Morzine is a lovely town. Not much in the way of ski in/ski out. I'm not sure I'd take the risk of coming all around the world and punt on Morzine having snow in January. I know Avoriaz is fairly snowsure but will be busy if Morzine/ Les Gets are green grass and mud as they were last year.

Switzerland

Only skied in verbier which prob wouldn't suit. Crans Montana/ Saas Fee may meet your criteria. The alternative is you book flights to Geneva and then book your accomodation 2 weeks before you come on basis that you know where the early snow has fallen. You could use www. chaletsdirect.com accomodation finder. I suspect for those 2 weeks there will be lots of availiability and you can use one section of the website to get independent chalet owners to tout for your business. I would do it on the basis that the chalet also arranges your transfers. Tehre are some very nice independent chalets out there that will do fully catered to a high standard Very Happy

Hope you find something suitable Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 5-07-07 11:48; edited 2 times in total
latest report
David Murdoch, I've been to Megève at New Year four times in the last dozen years without problem. I've been even more often before Christmas, mainly without problem. When there has been limited coverage at that time, the establishment I mentioned has bussed all its guests to neighbouring resorts.
ski holidays
Quote:

Tehre are some very nice independent chalets out there that will do fully catered to a high standard

and at a very high price. My son cooked in one last season, that cost up to £2000 per head, per week, accommodation only. The sky's the limit. I suspect that we need to know more about aussie ski bunny's priorities. For example, to know what they liked, and didn't like, about their Grindelwald holiday.
snow report
The Club Med thing.

I've not stayed in one. But I met a fellow on the plane going and coming back to last year's MSB. He was skiing at St. Moritz and his cost is about the same as mine!!! So much for Club Med being expensive -- not necceessary.

The trick though, he booked his trip very close to the time.

So, sort out the flight first and leave the resort to the last minute as others all suggested. And if a resort has Club Med in it, you can include them as an option as well.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Tehre are some very nice independent chalets out there that will do fully catered to a high standard

and at a very high price. My son cooked in one last season, that cost up to £2000 per head, per week, accommodation only. The sky's the limit. I suspect that we need to know more about aussie ski bunny's priorities. For example, to know what they liked, and didn't like, about their Grindelwald holiday.

That would be out of my league but there appear to be alot in and around the tour operators price bracket that on the face of it seem higher quality- I suspect your son must be a good chef wink
snow report
laundryman, Fair do's, you have experience that I don't, but my received wisdom was that Megeve didn't have enough high terrain to be really snow sure. If you're making the trip from Oz, I'd personally want to be in one of the resorts that you get bussed to rather than from... It's a lovely village however, with some great art galleries. [Not really ski on and out though either Twisted Evil ]

Folks, one argument (and I make no claims to its validity) against not booking ahead is that if you've flown half way around the world to discover a (second in a row) late start to the European season (oh I really,really do hope not) - you might find that late booking for resorts with snow is a tad tricky.
snow report
Quote:

I suspect your son must be a good chef

He is, but he's just applying to do a D. Phil. in Artificial Intelligence, so they might have to find a new chef next winter, though I wouldn't put it past him to try to do both at once, for a few weeks at least if not the whole season. Those Top Dog chalets are absurd, however good the food; we always stayed in low or medium cost chalets and always found they were good value for money. I agree with the advice to avoid the mass operators though, there are plenty of independents.

Quote:

you might find that late booking for resorts with snow is a tad tricky.

that's probably true, actually. But there's still plenty of time to choose a resort first, then do some in-depth research on specific accommodation options and book in a few month's time.
ski holidays
David Murdoch,
Quote:

Folks, one argument (and I make no claims to its validity) against not booking ahead is that if you've flown half way around the world to discover a (second in a row) late start to the European season (oh I really,really do hope not) - you might find that late booking for resorts with snow is a tad tricky.

My own experience is that if conditions are perceived as poor it is even easier to book as people generalise about conditions. I seem to recall that easiski was saying last year there were fewer visitors in Les 2 Alpes because of talk of poor conditions even though the snow there was excellent. I hasten to add this is for low season bookings, for high season bookings I would not take the risk but I have never heard of anyone having problems in the first couple of weeks of january.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy