Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Road trip.....ideas..?

Poster: A snowHead
I like Switzerland and we planning another 2 week road trip.

We will start from the Chamonix valley and then cross over to the Rhone picking off a few stops until we nestle in VDA for a week or so. This will be our only booked accomodation and so I am looking for ideas for new places to recce for a day or two. If we like them then we will come back next year and look into them closer.

The resorts do not have to be big but I'd like to see from the map, a high lift and maybe a drop over the side into a valley. We would then use public transport to get back to our hotel.

An intinery might start like this,

Day 1. Chamonix and see whatever weather conditions allow up the Midi. If it isn't good, we can travel straight through.
Day 2. My mates will not go back to Verbier....!!!!!! but I might be able to talk them into stopping off at Le Chable, do Stairway or Mont Gele and then on to the week or so at VDA

After that, head east..... but apart from Andermatt with a view to heading out to Desentis and Sedrun, my knowlegde is sparse so am looking at these places.

Does anyone know about Lotschberg, Aletsch, Arosa or anywhere else in between.

We would be looking for a smallish resort, around 2800mtr top station min' with some north facing slopes. And from the lifts we would be willing to bootpack for 10-20 minutes to get over a ridge into the next valley.

Apre isn't a consideration and would be happy with hotels slightly out of town if ness.

Chip in with any resorts that aren't main-stream as far as the UK is concerned. Ideas 1st and then we can sort out the logistics etc. We will have two cars.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know Brian's side of CH so I'll leave that to him and with the caveat that you're rather more advanced than us....

If you were thinking of Flims/Laax which is where I know best then a number of your criteria are met: it's between Arosa and Disentis, peak 3000m on the glacier, mostly north-facing slopes, not really mainstream for UK operators (although overrun by Dutch and Germans). The pistes are probably dead easy for you, but there are designated, controllled off-piste areas and I know there's some fairly serious touring off the back heading over towards Elm... Maybe worth talking to the guides there? In any case it's probably worth having a look at the series of ski touring maps they do here. Can't remember the precise name but will try to find a link.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eng_ch,

hmmm..just up the road so to speak from Andermatt and Disentis....!! I did have a quick look at the Myswiss*.com map this morning and I noted the terrain was promising so am delighted you have confirmed that it is worth a closer look. Great stuff, thanx.

Is it your bolt hole during the season?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, it will be! Just bear in mind in winter you have to go round the top from Andermatt because the pass is closed (shortest route is probably motorway back to Schwyz, then cut across the moor to Pfäffikon and down the A3 from there (Disentis is the Flims side of the pass IIRC)

These look like they're the maps I was thinking of btw:

http://www.mountains.ch/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=70&products_id=44

Aha, another thought: might be worth your PMing Powderhound as he does some guiding in Davos (when his knee ain't busted)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eng_ch,

oh no, that will be a bug..... I need a better map.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
This should take you to the ski tour maps:

http://www.swisstopo.ch/en/shop/analog/leisureMaps/skiMaps/skiMapGs

I haven't really had a chance to get round much of the Valais yet, but places I might take a look at are the Val d'Hérens (between Val d'A and the 4Vs) which has 2 small stations, Evolene and Arolla. Arolla in particular should fit your bill, only a couple of lifts but taking you up to 3000m. There should be a few ways down ...

http://www.arolla.com/english/winter/index4-eng.htm

Then Graechen at the foot of the Mattertal has lifts up the Seetalhorn to 3000m.

http://www.bergbahnen-graechen.ch/

Must be tons of good stuff around Zermatt and Saas Fee while you're passing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian,

We have talked about Arolla and Evolene and it does make the trip nice and compact..even day-trip-able from VDA with an early start.

I really need to find my old books that I stacked away before decorating ...Laughing

My mate is in Sass as we speak so hopefully he is doing some homework.

So many places and so little time.. Good links
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, you need ise for this. Pop over to MSS and drop him a line.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arolla is definitely worth a trip - last season we went heliskiing from Le Chable to the top of the Pigne d'Arolla, skiied down to the Arolla helipad, then got the heli back up to the summit, then skiied down to Arolla itself. Superb day, made all the better by skiing with a guide who grew up in Arolla and found us some fantastic conditions even at the end of April. The views from the top of the Pigne d'Arolla are out of this world. There were a few people who had skinned up to the summit, which I think you can do as part of the Haute Route
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT,

Drive to GVA, Fly to Calgary , Drive to Castle, Fernie, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke ,Whitewater, Red Mountain. Drive down to Spokane. Fly back to GVA. Drive to VDA.

Job done wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, when? It would make a difference to where I would recommend. There are so many great places to stay and then some amazing little resorts that would take up one day to ski, with (condition dependent) fresh tracks to be had right at the side of the piste, in the Valais area. For instance Marecottes, Grand St Bernard etc etc. So stay in nasty place like Martigny for a few nights and be a 45min - 1 hour drive to some amazing places, like Arolla, depending on who's got the snow.

I suggest getting some friends that can ski better though, as you can't beat Verbier for terrain and infrastructure... Wink It's like La Ros only better... Very Happy

BGA, You lazy git!! PdA is such an easy little skin! And indeed does form part of the Haute Route... Choppers are for choppers! wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor, I can't help it if my wife has a liking for large choppers can I?

It was hard enough walking to the top from where the heli dropped us off. We did do some hiking to get to the big hut in that area (can't remember the name) which is kind of perched on top a cliff. Very spectacular. The guide told us that next year he'll make us do some skinning with him, and I have to say I am keen to do so. Just need to lose 2 stone beforehand.

How long would it take to get from the top of the highest lift to the top of the PdA (if you are of average fitness)?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor,

Late Jan is our preferred time for this... depart UK around the 18th and drive for 2 weeks.

I haven't been to Verbier for years and would love to go back..what can I say, I'll work on it. Laughing
I have always liked what I can see from the road around the Grand St B when the MB tunnel was shut.

Depends on where Andermatt figures in all this, we could just concentrate on the South west of the Valais as that would keep travel time down between resorts which all eat up in ski-time. Ideally we would only want one change-over day in 14.

I am getting a good and viable picture.

fatbob, Laughing

BGA, Sounds good. We never got round to looking that far last year and stayed in the next valley. This year we should be there longer so it's poss.

I can see this splitting into an East and West trip to be done in 2 parts.

GrahamN, VG point.

Lots of work to do...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another shout for Arolla. If you go there on a weekday, you'll be on your own.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BGA, The Cabane des Vignettes, where Eagles dare anyone? From the top of the lifts at Arolla the PdA is about a 1-2hr skin depending on fitness and conditions...

JT, perfect timing, snowbase (fingers crossed) should be building and everywhere quiet, which means you don't need to worry about accommodation.

I would seriously suggest a few nights, at least, in the Martigny area and picking off resorts all within an hours drive. From big to small there are hundreds of places to head and you can just choose who's got the best coverage! There's a great shop in Martigny called Look Montagne who will help you devise a list of places to go based on best conditions.

And, god forbid, you could convince your friends to come up to Verbier for a day or two I'll show you what it's all about... If you're lucky we might not even have guests which means a few ice cold beers in the hot tub...

Dunno how much up hill action you fancy for your 'road trip' but the cab Vignettes (above) would be an awesome place to pitch yourself for a few nights allowing you to pick off some great little (ie not massively demanding and no need for a guide) day tours...
latest report
parlor,

That is a great offer. Madeye-Smiley You can be sure that I will be making a big pitch based on some of your suggestions.

At this rate we will never get out of the Rhone valley...and that might be no sad thing at all...Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
parlor, that's the one. Great photo. Lovely spot for a bit of lunch and a bottle of Dole. Cabane du Mont Fort probably edges it for food, but can't imagine there are that many places with a more impressive setting. Clearly I need to work on the fitness over the summer and get into this skinning business. Just hope the two weeks heliskiing in NZ don't affect my fitness regime..
snow report
JT,

If you can get to Engelberg, some incredible big mountain skiing there, and mid week deserted apart from the odd swedish ski bum jumping cliffs etc!
latest report
just seen this. i would say that there are plenty of huts with settings as impressive as the vignettes, but few with such a spectaclar view if you look down the loos!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy