Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Babies and Skiing Holidays

Poster: A snowHead
boredsurfin, Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I intend on taking our 10 month old at New Year. I did notice the familyski at Reberty 2000 advice for younger babies is they may suffer at that altitude and to speak to your GP. I have seen kids younger than 10 months at higher altitudes than Reberty, but I'm going a little lower as if the baby is suffering they can't tell me they have a headache or any symptoms of struggling at altitude they will just cry which is what he does most of the time any way..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, I read that thread again last night and ended up with aching ribs ............again Laughing Very Happy
It is an absolute classic Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, I laughed at it myself.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

has best apres

Not a factor with a 2 month old! Stay low Sad or the nights are terrible. Esprit go to several low back door resorts. Also look at the Family Ski Company.

I agree about GVA nursery. It was a huge relief to get in there away from the monster creche for irritated /drunk /tired adult skiers that is the departures area! But Hayls is driving, in which case enjoy some of the fine family friendly restaurants in places like Laon, Beaune, Tournus, Chablis etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just a point about driving - all the larger service stations we found had good facilitities for baby feeding and changing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the advice everyone. We've decided to go for it and booked a chalet in Morzine (so not too high at 1000m) and the chalet gives me access to a kitchen etc and has a cot. We've also decided to fly, mainly just to get the journey over and done with asap. BA have a good baggage allowance for infants and other people in our group have offered some suitcase space and hands to carry stuff!

My main issue is using a different cot. This is something I can sort out nearer the time, but in the meantime should I look into getting a mattress protector when we start to buy stuff in a few months, or have any concerns about using the cot?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
check with the chalet, but I think people usually bring their own cot mattresses as there are all kinds of rules and regs about shared ones....

Good luck! Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hayls wrote:
Thanks for all the advice everyone. We've decided to go for it and booked a chalet in Morzine (so not too high at 1000m) and the chalet gives me access to a kitchen etc and has a cot. We've also decided to fly, mainly just to get the journey over and done with asap. BA have a good baggage allowance for infants and other people in our group have offered some suitcase space and hands to carry stuff!

My main issue is using a different cot. This is something I can sort out nearer the time, but in the meantime should I look into getting a mattress protector when we start to buy stuff in a few months, or have any concerns about using the cot?

We're sensitve about this when we go away. I would take a baby sleeping bag (these are great anyway). Depends on the type of matress. At holiday cottages in the uk they often have plastic mattresses and we then use our own bedding. No danger then of the mattress absorbing nasties from other babies. you can also use an anti bacterial wipe on a plastic mattress. If you're goiing by car you could take a travel cot.

I think the concern about matresses is a link to cot death from things being absorbed in latex/ foam/ fabric mattresses. Its certainly not recommended to allow your second child to use sibling's old matress.

Sorry to be doom and gloom and I know these are not nice thoughts.

On a brighter note I'm sure morzine will be lovely. Its a lovely town and I'll suspect there are good creche facilitties there
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A friend of mine who goes to Morzine recommended these guys for childcare if you need a break. Never used them myself nor been to Morzine.

http://www.cheekymonkeysmorzine.com/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks, that's great info. I suspected as much. I'll make inquiries nearer the time about the cot and keep in mind about taking a mattress if necessary.

dan100, So are you saying if the mattress is plastic it should be ok, provided we take our own bedding?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What's wrong with taking your own travel cot? we used one of these on several holidays for both our kids.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masmith, we're flying and I've no idea whether it will fold up small enough to fit in a large suitcase or whether we'd need to check it in as a separate item?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hayls, The one we had, had a thin fabric carry case. All airlines were happy to take this, no questions asked. We had to take it to out of size baggage area, just as you would skis (or car seat for that matter). I reckon we took ours away about 6 times (all flying) without incident.
ski holidays
masmith, travel cot it is then. Thanks for the info. I wondered what happened to the car seat as I've never seen them at the plane, just the prams.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
Mouth, The lights on the gates also flash to alert the lifties to a season pass going through.

Really? I did a whole season and never realised.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
I think it maybe near this Restaurant where Helen Beaumont enjoyed a nice meal in the terminal wink Toofy Grin
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=286284#286284 Laughing Laughing

Ohmigod, tea just came out of my nose! Brilliant!
snow report
Nadenoodlee, I read for the 3rd or 4th time the other day and it still made me laugh out loud. Laughing Very Happy
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, boredsurfin, I read it for first time other day and cracked up. Brilliant Helen, just brilliant.

Nadenoodlee, I never knew that either but boredsurfin, a bit of a techie at heart
snow conditions
Hayls, I can recommend the Graco travel cot - comes in own case and you can check it seperately. Mouth junior slept in that for 6 weeks this season - how bad a mum am I???!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Mouth, I spent most of my formative years in a moses basket under pub tables! Shocked
latest report
Nadenoodlee, you still hanging out under pub tables these days I hear?
latest report
Quote:

boredsurfin, a bit of a techie at heart

Mouth, nah! John Marc pointed it out to me Embarassed
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Quote:

boredsurfin, a bit of a techie at heart

Mouth, nah! John Marc pointed it out to me Embarassed

Who???
snow report
when I flew with small babies - long time ago though - I sometimes had baby in its own carry cot, strapped onto table in bulkhead seat. Maybe carry cots don't exist any more. Needed to be booked in advance (ie the bulkhead seat). BA should be able to manage that. Not so important for a quick hop to the Alps but pretty essential for trans Atlantic flights - don't want baby on lap for eight hours, however much you love him! A two month baby can then sleep in its own carry cot, no need for anything separate. Has the added advantage that baby can be thoroughly familiar with the carry cot well in advance - the less disruption to routine the better (not that most of us have managed much in the way of routine in the first couple of months!).
Quote:

Its certainly not recommended to allow your second child to use sibling's old matress.

Whyever not, if plastic covered and therefore sterilisable? My daughter in law is fairly obsessive and reads all the books, but even she didn't insist on a new cot mattress for her second baby. Sounds like a Mothercare line to sell more cot mattresses. Do hospitals throw out all the mattresses etc in their baby cots every time? I used to wash mine, sterilise with Milton, put it away in the attic, then repeat the treatment for next baby. Three babies and visiting cousins used it. There is a well supported medical theory that the huge rise in some asthma amongst children, much more significant in the case of middle class children (as opposed to poor ones) is that they have been obsessively protected for too long from too many of the bugs we need to learn to live with. As long as their milk bottles (if used) are religiously sterilised then normal hygiene standards, plenty of hand washing etc, should surely be adequate? However, for such a tiny baby I would prefer to take my own travel cot - they're not a problem until baby becomes old enough to hurl itself against the side, knock the cot over and take off.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy