Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Babies and Skiing Holidays

Poster: A snowHead
We are comtemplating going skiing next March (just before the Easter hols) with a 2 1/2 month old (providing the little one arrives roughly on time). If I have the energy, I'll be skiing part time or for a few hours here and there, as there will be a group of us with lots of willing babysitters.

Is it crazy to even consider a skiing holiday with a young baby? Has anyone ever done it?

I'm tempted to wait, lets the others book now and we'll try and get a late deal depending on how I feel.

Just in case, can anyone recommend a resort and accommodation. I spotted a chalet in Couchevel (1300) which was geared up to families but this probably won't have the apres ski the others all want.

The group are piste hungry skiers so we'd need at least 200km of piste, some apres and preferably a chalet so I have access to a microwave, fridge etc.

I'd prefer not to stay in a resort that is too high. We like a good standard of accommodation (4 star) and close to the lift or ski in/out.

We love Austria, but if the right resort and accommodation came up elsewhere we'd consider it.

Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
we took our little daughter when she was aged 2 months but we took the wifes mother to look after the little one so if that is am option it might be worth looking at snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jase2472, thanks, that is an option.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hayls, Took our son at 5 months, funnily enough to Courchevel 1300. We went there because it is realitively low and thought this would help.
But, he got an ear infection and cried for the whole week IIRC. As soon as we went back down to sea level he was fine.
If everyone's healthy then I would have thought it would work fine but with small ones rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Best of look. Hope it goes well. Some resorts in France that are relatively low: Morillion, Samoens, Morzine, Les Gets, Oz en Oisans/ Vaujany- suspect of these Morzine has best apres. Chamonix itself is relatively low if that appealed to your group. sure there are lots of options in austria in terms of altitude. I think Flims in Switzerland is fairly low with alot of high altitude skiing.
Good luck hope you find somewhere that ticks all the boxes
Dan
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skiing with a 2.5 month old?? Shocked You're mad, the hassle factor of going away with a baby is a nightmare in itself, let alone the logistics of a ski holiday. Anything can be done if you put your mind to it, but even with a few helping hands you won't get much skiing done without seriously imposing on your fellow travellers. Is it really worth all the hassle and expense? After a summer holiday with the young 'un me & mrs perv thought not, and put off skiing until ours was 1+ and I would advise you to do the same.

If you really can't face missing a season, La Tania is well set up for families and at only 1350m is not too high.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hayls, We took both of ours in the January they were both born at the end of September to enable skiing while pregnant and then old enough to take with us when born wink

We drove over as the baby equipment takes up a lot of space. When they were 4 months old we took Granny /Nanny with us.
They both skied as soon as they could walk.

Serious dis-advantage is that they are now both better skiers than good old Dad! Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hayls, Our youngest went at 3 months - we stayed in a Ski Beat Chalet in La Tania and she was in their creche most of the day. Gave us access to all of 3V so skiing was fine and we were also pleased with the care provided by Ski Beat Nannies. My parents were with us so we also had a bit of help in the evening!

Companies like Ski Beat and others are also all set up with cots etc, so you don't need to lug much with you. At that age you don't even need to worry much food wise - we just left a couple of bottles each day.

Its only a hassle if you see it as a hassle - if you think about it and plan in advance it is straightforward. How you travel is another factor for consideration, we drove as we saw this as giving us the most flexibility for stopping for feeds, nappy changes etc

When we went with 3 month old, also had the nearly 2 yr twin boys - if we can manage with that lot then I'm sure anyone can cope with one wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hayls, if you want to do it, and have considered all of the pluses and minuses involved, go for it girl. Why should you be expected to completely put your life, and everything you enjoy on hold, just because you've had a baby? A pathetic idea that only a man could have thought of. As Boris, says, only as hassle if you see it as one beforehand, and take a willing grandparent.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hayls, We went this year with our little one when he was 9 weeks and as I was on maternity leave we spent 6 weeks altogether. I would recommend driving as you will have so much kit - trust me.

No you are not crazy to think about it and with careful planning you will have a great time. You will however find that you want to spend time with baby as well as ski and we managed to strike a great balance. We shared the baby sitting duties and managed about 3 hours a day each on average.

I would not have wanted to leave baby with anyone I did not know at such a young age so we were happy sharing him and the slopes! We also had grandparents out for a week and they made great sitters naturally!

Choose somewhere with good walks as well as a baby bjorn carrier will give you and baby access to beautiful scenery!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone. Might as well go for it! We'll most defintely drive so that pretty much narrows it down to France. I'll have a look at the resorts and chalets mentioned. Thanks again.

Mouth, we are planning on sharing babysitting, skiing duties and family members will be coming with us which might be handy!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hayls, congratulations! snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hayls, oh, yes, congratulations snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, Helen Beaumont, Thanks. I figured the world needed another snowhead, skier, England rugby and cricket fan!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hayls, oh yes congratulations. Best thing you will ever do! Honest!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=27748
ski holidays
Looks like I am out-voted Hayls! Good luck all the same. Very Happy

Quote:

Why should you be expected to completely put your life, and everything you enjoy on hold, just because you've had a baby? A pathetic idea that only a man could have thought of.

Depends on whether you equate missing ONE ski trip with "completely putting your life on hold." Is skiing EVERYTHING you enjoy Helen Beaumont? How sad..... Sad

BTW it was mrs perv who really couldn't face taking the sprog skiing, I'm game for anything - so less of the "pathetic man" comments if you don't mind! NehNeh
latest report
Hayls wrote:
We'll most defintely drive so that pretty much narrows it down to France.

You can get to some of the Swiss resorts almost as quickly, so don't rule them out.
snow report
Quote:

Skiing with a 2.5 month old?? You're mad, the hassle factor of going away with a baby is a nightmare in itself,

From experience, I disagree strongly. We didn't take any of ours skiing at that age, but with a 6 week old baby and two boys aged 5 and 7 we spent several weeks travelling, without car, going from Barbados (where we were based) via Disneyland to Washington. We had no problem carrying everything we needed, though admittedly we didn't need warm clothes, which would make a big difference! All a baby of that age needs is its mother (ours was breast fed during that trip, which hugely simplified things). At 2 months old they don't really need a cot (they can't go anywhere.....) and all those baby seats, bouncers, computerized educational equipment and mobiles without which modern babies don't seem to be able to go anywhere are completely unnecessary. No little jars of food at that age, no need for a pushchair (they are pretty light and easy to carry in a chest carrier at that age). Ready mixed formula available these days is a godsend. I also did a lot of long distance air travel with a small baby, on my own, and it's a piece of cake. It's when they start crawling that things get difficult. If you have supportive friends/family and use a family friendly operator, and don't go too high, you should have a great time. Ski holidays will be much more difficult in the following couple of years, so don't miss out.
snow report
It may be great or it may be a nightmare. You won't know until after the birth. You may be blessed with good health and a baby that conforms to text book behaviour. On the other hand there may be 24 hour tears and tantrums - from both you and the baby Shocked - for the first couple of months. Stitches, post natal depression, cracked nipples, etc combined with a baby that never seems to sleep, is often sick/colicky and seems to want feeding every hour through the night, made me feel like just going down to the local shop was as much effort as climbing Everest.

Luckily, only one out of my four made me feel quite as bad as that but I wouldn't have contemplated skiing with another of them at 2.5 months as he didn't sleep much either. And you do know that sleep deprivation is a form of torture, don't you? rolling eyes

You could well be fine but personally, I would see how I felt and get a late deal just before the deadline.
ski holidays
Quote:

all those baby seats, bouncers, computerized educational equipment and mobiles without which modern babies don't seem to be able to go anywhere are completely unnecessary.

GASP! Shocked

Someone confiscate this irresponsible slattern's children, quick.
snow conditions
Quote:
Depends on whether you equate missing ONE ski trip with "completely putting your life on hold." Is skiing EVERYTHING you enjoy Helen Beaumont? How sad..... Sad
No, obviously not. BUt as someone who put off learning to ski at all, not for financial reasons, but " because it would be too much hassle with two small children" , I am saying it is not really that impossible, and if you want to do it you should. I wasn't picking on you personally [b]ice perv[b], but every time a woman asks for advice on skiing with babies and toddlers on here, r skiing while pregnant, it is USUALLY a man who tells her it is impossible, or she shouldn't. As long as you wiegh up the pros and cons first, and accept that everything may not go to plan, I don't see why you can't continue your life as normal. It is just a baby you know, not a jail sentence.
ski holidays
I had a couple of guests with a six month old a few years ago in Serre Chevalier. They kept little Fred in one of those high-tech basket thingies which doubles as a car seat, bought one lift pass between the two of them and skied/minded Fred in shifts. You'd have tp pick a resort with electronic passes though.
snow report
Lizzard, if you get caught sharing a pass you could well lose it!
ski holidays
Mouth, somewhere recently was offering a weekly pass that could be shared between parents looking after small children, can anyone remember where? I though it was an excellent idea, but I can't remember which resort it was.
Serre Che only require photo ID for longer stays,(4 days or more) but the photos do come up on the lift station computer screens.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, That sounds like a great idea! We got season passes last year and were advised against letting freinds use them if they were staying in our place because as you say the photos do appear and they check season passes! Not worth the risk and anyway I think ski passes are well worth the money - well wherever I have skied it has been well worth it!
snow report
Mouth, The lights on the gates also flash to alert the lifties to a season pass going through.
snow conditions
boredsurfin, You are FAR too observant!!
latest report
Mouth, or I spend too long hanging around lift gates Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hayls, Agree with most of what is said above, but I work in ski travel and we have had a couple of instances of young babies not doing too well at altitude. - that was just being at resort level, not actually climbing or skiing. wink It may be a balancing act between all that has been said before, and finding a lower level resort with good snow just in case your baby is one of those that don't like heights! Congratulations by the way! Very Happy
ski holidays
Anniepen,
Quote:

we have had a couple of instances of young babies not doing too well at altitude. - that was just being at resort level

Resort level varies gretaly from sub 800m to 2300m+ (Europe!)
What sort of height were the resorts you're referring to where little people suffered. Just interested to know ... I'd be surprised if it was at 1300m or below.
latest report
No-one manually checked our season pass last winter, but I'm sure the photo's were checked on the computer.
snow conditions
Hayls, The daycare at Lake Louise is excellent and takes babies from 18 days on, even if still being breast fed - and I think they give you a pager. You can stay in the Lake Louise in, near the bottom of the hill which has accommodation available with Kitchenettes...

However a 9 hour flight with a baby... Sad

It is all down to how much you want to do it!
latest report
We skied with ours at about 5- 6months with no great problems except the sleeping patterns were a bit more disturbed by the jet lag. Very young babies often sleep well on planes, toddlers are much worse our first trip at about 1 week our only concern was that he slept the whole time and we had to check to see he was alive!
ski holidays
Thanks everyone, This is all really useful. I wasn't really intending on skiing all day, I was just hoping to fit in a few hours here and there, so the nanny service wasn't a major consideration - hubby can do his share and other family members have offered help. I was concered about the altitude and having access to facilities, e.g. kitchen etc. Plus the other members of the group have different priorities such as apres ski, so it's a question of trying to please everyone. What's new!

stoatsbrother, I had considered North America but I was worried about the extreme cold and the jet lag, so we'll probably stick to Europe.
snow report
Hayls, and remember take formula milk with you if you need it as UK brands are not always sold in Europe. We checked thankfully and took supplies with us. Apparently changing formula can be upsetting for some babies Shocked
ski holidays
We've been on holiday with a baby in the group, and it's been fine. I tend to agree with what's been said - it's much more difficult once they are moving around. One thing that we did find a big help was to make sure that the noise isn't too much problem - either from groups of happy people to a sleeping baby, or a non-sleeping baby to sleeping adults! When we're at the chalet, we use the mazot for this, but two apartments close to each other, or a chalet with a bedroom that is well secluded would be good too.

I see you're driving but in case anyone who isn't reads this for tips - Geneva Airport has a brilliant nursery in it, it's a bit tucked away so you need to ask to find it, but it's very well equipped and a godsend if you're hanging around there for any lenght of time.
snow conditions
Hayls, We tok our 14month old with us where there was no creche available, did similar to what you are planning although we did it day about skiing/looking after junior. One of our wonderfull friends that we went with looked after him one day so we got a great morning together.

For me the biggest thing was accepting I wasnt going to get loads of skiing in(you've done that already) but the days I did were fab. Will never regret taking him on that holiday, hope you have a geat time.
latest report
Quote:

Geneva Airport has a brilliant nursery in it, it's a bit tucked away so you need to ask to find it, but it's very well equipped and a godsend if you're hanging around there for any lenght of time.

I never knew that! Thanks, firebug, a great tip.
ski holidays
Quote:

Geneva Airport has a brilliant nursery in it, it's a bit tucked away so you need to ask to find it, but it's very well equipped and a godsend if you're hanging around there for any lenght of time.

Through first security check, up the stairs to the left, I think.
snow report
I think it maybe near this Restaurant where Helen Beaumont enjoyed a nice meal in the terminal wink Toofy Grin
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=286284#286284 Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy