Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best way off the intermediate plateau?

Poster: A snowHead
slikedges wrote:
(puts to shame the sort who are arrogant, disdainful and full of it! wink )

Can't say I've met any on here wink or in the real world. Have you?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeight, yeah I met a couple in real life.... you know the joke about god and ski instructors - well they kind of fitted perfectly...
and I knew a few that took great delight in laughing at me when I first started skiing... and skied SOOOOOO badly but was SOOOOOOO keen... I got my own back when they all started wanting my lessons because I could ski the mountain and still took lessons nearly every day! I remember which ones were nice when I skied poorly

In general though I'd say poor ability is much more common than arrogant and disdainful.... surgeons on the other hand! Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
little tiger, don't get me started on doctors and surgeons learing to or improving their skiing. They are quite possibly one of the most challenging groups of people (general concensus amongst many instructors) Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight, Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys and girls. The PSB is a very good idea...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cfc5mu0, Pop along to the thread and fill out the poll, prices will be out in a couple of weeks, and we're all systems go ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is the answer to this thread 'over the edge'? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, well this is one way to avoid it completely... http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20070625/NEWS/106250050/0/FRONTPAGE

but of course we all know only gumbies need lessons!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Megamum, well this is one way to avoid it completely... http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20070625/NEWS/106250050/0/FRONTPAGE

but of course we all know only gumbies need lessons!!

little tiger, I've followed both this thread and the recent "debate" regarding intensive/non intensive instruction with interest. I don't wish to offend but surely you can appreciate how crass this post seems as an attempt to justify/illustrate your points in either thread.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
little tiger, What on earth are you trying to say? Best way off the intermediate plateau is to die??? That is unbelievable Shocked .
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey folks, I was just trying to lighten the mood a little, go easy! little tiger, I form part of the group that has a lesson when ever they can!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
veeeight, you've certainly let lots of people know where to avoid one - general consensus!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maggi, no maggi I'm saying that when people that beginners will see as being "good skiers" perpetuate the myth that you can get to be a great skier by mileage alone then kids with no real idea are likely to believe them and try to teach themselves.... Unfortunately this means some are likely to end up like this kid and the one that did the same sort of thing at my home resort (ride chair, hop off, "this is same as surfing right?", get on snowboard, run into tree... he did not even get to 1 run let alone 3... but I'm sure he was having FUN for all of about half a second!!)...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger, I don't think anybody, not even the mileage merchants, has said that
Quote:

you can get to be a great skier by mileage alone

and certainly nobody has advocated any youngster just launching himself down a slope on day one, with no tuition or guidance whatsoever. You're extrapolating too much here, and it's undermining your own argument. (And remember that I too am in favour of lessons and that, if I could, I would jump - though not off an overhang! - at the chance of some lessons with FastMan.)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, at least one spoke of mileage causing improvement regardless of if the person took lessons... and while THEY may mean for a certain level of skier or themselves they are simply perpetuating the don't need lessons idea because the new people do not know that... In fact Fatbob spoke exactly of this - he said who teaches boarders... well if some one had taught the kid at my resort that it is not QUITE the same as surfing we would not have had the bits of him splattered all over the trees woudl we!! and yes he really WAS a kid - nothing like as old as the one in that article... and believed it all...
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
(And remember that I too am in favour of lessons and that, if I could, I would jump - though not off an overhang! - at the chance of some lessons with FastMan.)

you could try to organise a group of "hurtles" to go together... I'm sure if you asked nicely he might be persuaded...
snow report
slikedges wrote:
veeeight, you've certainly let lots of people know where to avoid one - general consensus!

Clearly a new definition of general then!
ski holidays
While little tiger,'s reference might have been in slightly questionable taste, it's worth remembering the consequences of not knowing how to ski properly. This does include intermediate skiers who overface themselves in the mistaken idea that it's "brave" or in some way "expected". Skiers die every winter, probably in every big resort in the world. Most die through their own stupidity, and you can't blame the resorts for keeping it as quiet as possible.

Beakyshark, There is a fairly strong element on this forum, who whenever lessons are mentioned, manage to suggest that it's not the best use of your skiing time and/or that if you have lessons you can't possibly have fun at the same time. This is patently nonsense, but it pops up every time. Of course little tiger, is the greatest lesson addict of all time (seriously), and is passionate about it, which causes her to press her point. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
easiski wrote:
it's worth remembering the consequences of not knowing how to ski properly. This does include intermediate skiers who overface themselves in the mistaken idea that it's "brave" or in some way "expected"

Easiski, i couldn't agree more.

Of course little tiger, is the greatest lesson addict of all time (seriously), and is passionate about it, which causes her to press her point. Madeye-Smiley

This has become abundently clear! However when you have to make posts in questionable taste with only a tenuous connection to your much laboured point then it's clearly time to reassess your approach to refuting contrary views. The fine line between pressing a point and forcing opinions on others has become pretty much invisible over the course of a couple of threads....

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 8-07-07 10:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
easiski wrote:

Beakyshark, There is a fairly strong element on this forum, who whenever lessons are mentioned, manage to suggest that it's not the best use of your skiing time and/or that if you have lessons you can't possibly have fun at the same time. This is patently nonsense, but it pops up every time. Of course little tiger, is the greatest lesson addict of all time (seriously), and is passionate about it, which causes her to press her point. Madeye-Smiley

I'll jump back in here....

The thing that MOST impressed me this year was when a certain snowHead made such progress with lessons that I remarked he had come on really well. He was delighted with his skiing and some.
I'll recommend lessons and have done so quite a few times on this forum, namely with Charlotte in most cases. A ski buddy of ours needs to have lessons and we have been trying to get them to have some for a few seasons now.
However, I do belong in the camp which has a quandry over whether I need a lesson so much or carry out the type of skiing I like doing in the limited time....and money.. I have.

Lessons or guide..?
Lessons or heli.. ?
Lessons or another trip..?

This seems a pretty plain position to me ...not perfect but ....

There is not so very much wrong with my skiing that I think I can't fix. I've a coupe of things to iron out but these are pretty marginal, IMV tho'
An intensive refresher might go quite a way but then so might being fitter and stronger.
snow conditions
Hmm I'm staying out of this- I've already got interpol on my tail for luring unwary never evers to their death by claiming everyone can drop a 60 footer on their first time out. wink
snow report
veeeight, no, what you're finding unfamiliar is just the right spelling of consensus.
ski holidays
And here we go again. rolling eyes
latest report
veeeight, don't start it if you can't accept others finishing it rolling eyes
ski holidays
The best way off the intermediate plateau is invariably the blue run that broadly follows the chairlift down. follow this and you can't go wrong.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy