Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern - the good, the bad and the ugly . . .

Poster: A snowHead
I am seriously considering Obertauern for the coming season. We are 2 middle-age skiers who can get round the whole of the mountain (apart from seriously steep off piste moguls) and usually enjoy lots of varied terrain and clocking up the miles, 3 young adult snowboarders who are same level but also enjoy the park too, and who will be up for some livley Apres. We need somewhere not too expensive, and preferrably a Chalet Hotel or Hotel ***

Have also been considering Ischgl, Solden, St Anton - but these seem to be dearer. We enjoyed ZaS and brief visits to Kaprun and Saalbach.

Would be interested to here other sHs views and seeing their pics too.

Thanks in advance snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IncogSkiSno, haven't been yet......but after the good reports from others on here last season we shall be going next season! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy, Ooh thanks good linky - obviously I knew Zorro had been, but it's nice to hear other sHs views - when are you planning on going ? Confused

Oh and Hotel/TO recommendations - we are hoping to go 5th Jan , this is subject to the kids Uni timetables, and it could even end up being a no go for them, but we'd probably still go and the dates would be flexible.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably the week after that! Just sorting out flights & hotel this week Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy, Oh really, you're a definite then Shocked Laughing well let me know how you get on won't you ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno,
The only slight reservation I would have about Obertauern from your requirements are that there are not a lot of mile s to clock up. The ski area is relatively small. But because of the good snow record I guess it would usually be completely skiable, certainly was on our trip and it feels like a bigger area than it is. Renting a car for transferuseage means that you can ski other areas if the weather isn't great or you want to increase the mileage. I thought Zauchensee was great on our visit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IncogSkiSno, I don't remember the park part of it particularly well, but I would think that there were only a couple of jumps and a couple of rails in the relatively small area. I wouldn't think that would be particularly ideal for them Confused
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IncogSkiSno, my impression from when I was looking into this earlier, is that the skiing there isn't particularly challenging or extensive - but I could be totally wrong! Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cathy,
Although small there is certainly a bit of challenge there, it is by no means a gentle resort. Gamsleiten the signature run is decently steep and there are other bits and bobs if you look for them.

Ray Zorro,
I'm not a user of parks but the jumps looked decent enough to me lots of air from them for those with the inclination. The boarders will also appreciate its reputation for getting a lot of snow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar, There were boarders getting plenty of air - it is true. I was just thinking back to the park at Les 2 Alpes at the PSB, the difference between the two was incomparable Confused

cathy, I get bored quite quickly and although the area in terms of mileage is not extensive, I didn't get at all bored at Obertauern, every run is different. There are a couple of challenging runs (or at least I found them challenging), but you are right, there is plenty for those that prefer to stay on the reds and blues. For those that want to clock up the miles, the turnarounds give you that feeling, without you ever being particularly far from the resort. I thought it great.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It is quite a "fun" resort set in a bowl with not a great vertical drop but still plenty of variation. Everyone seems so stop skiing at 3pm and start apres. A whole week would be stretching it, we had 5 days and went out to Flacheu(sp) for one day which was also fun. Nice atmosphere in and around the resort. We stayed in Snowwhite Hotel which is fine and would recommend it 3* good food etc at around 70 euros half board. If you want a bit better would recommend it's sister hotel- Cinderella, better location and thinking about that would be the best area to stay, I think it's called Luzeralm(the area) if my memory serves me correct.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro, good to hear! I got the OH on board with it, which isn't always easy! One of his mates went last year and said it was great so that swung it for him, never mind what I or other sHs said rolling eyes Toofy Grin And we hope to stay in the hotel you stayed in, you said it was nice and in a good location. Their stated price for that time of year including lift pass was pretty good I thought. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T Bar wrote:
IncogSkiSno,
The only slight reservation I would have about Obertauern from your requirements are that there are not a lot of mile s to clock up. The ski area is relatively small. But because of the good snow record I guess it would usually be completely skiable, certainly was on our trip and it feels like a bigger area than it is. Renting a car for transferuseage means that you can ski other areas if the weather isn't great or you want to increase the mileage. I thought Zauchensee was great on our visit.

That was one of my main concerns and the high winds - the trouble is when you read resort info, from whatever source, there will always be negatives. We have been used to skiing quite large areas and increasingly harder terrain, but by the same token due to conditions we have also had to ski a small area in a very large resort and still enjoyed ourselves - Murren is tiny, but it too felt alot larger in area and half of it was closed to us . Car hire may not be an option if booking a package deal.

cathy wrote:
Ray Zorro, good to hear! I got the OH on board with it, which isn't always easy! One of his mates went last year and said it was great so that swung it for him, never mind what I or other sHs said rolling eyes

Oh such a familier tale rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Booked the flights last night - £75 each return with BA, which includes ski carriage. Going out on the 12th. Pretty good I thought Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy, That's not bad is that with all the taxes too - will you be doing B&B again ?
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, yes, that's the final price. No we won't be doing B&B, I quite like the look of Hotel Schneider that Ray stayed in - and it's got approval by the Board wink . That's about £530/week including lift pass. But I'm looking at other hotels as well, but it's not always easy to work out whereabouts they are!
ski holidays
cathy, I'd say you've done well with the flights as with easyjet you pay an extra £30 for Ski Carriage - you've just got to make sure your luggage arrives I guess Shocked

The Hotel looks great - but I wouldn't be too sure about a recommendation from a man who stays in a hut in a field, and is now contemplating a Mobile home for his next trip wink
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno wrote:
The Hotel looks great - but I'm wouldn't be too sure about a recommendation from a man who stays in a hut in a field, and is now contemplating a Mobile home for his next trip wink

My god - you're right!! Shocked Toofy Grin

Yes, I was going ahead with Thomsonfly first of all, only to find out that by the time you've added in £15 each way per person for skis and £6 each way per person for hold baggage, the cost of the flight was doubled! Hopefully the main probs with BA is from Heathrow (fingers crossed! Madeye-Smiley )
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, Evil or Very Mad I don't mind going back to basics when it is just me. Mrs Z however desires the height of luxury, hence the Schneider.

The pool and wellness facilities were lovely, the food was fantastic - superb quality and unlimited quantity of some of the 7 courses. You can ski to the back door and ski down to the nearest lift (lift 2 on the map), which gives access to the whole resort. It is also an easy walk to a few bars of an evening. I would say ideal Very Happy
ski holidays
Riegle royal is top class
ski holidays
This is proving to be a mare - it looks like we shall have to go at New Year IF we are to take the kids or leave it till later for us to go alone. Either way I still need to book a family holiday. As we will have lively, young adults in tow I am happy to stay in 3* (or even 2* accommodation at a push) and I am even considering DIY.
latest report
try the montana, cinderella, riegle royal, where Ray Zorro said they are all in the end of town you will want to be.
http://www.obertauern.com/
ski holidays
Yay! Booked with Hotel Schneider - wanted one of their 'romance rooms' but was told it wasn't guaranteed wink
snow conditions
cathy, romance or the room wink
snow conditions
I've always overlooked Obertauern because the ski area looked small. Just to recap, for mileage hungry piste bashers (and a husband who gets bored) would it be OK?
snow report
erica2004 wrote:
cathy, romance or the room wink

wink wink yes Toofy Grin
latest report
cathy, I was joking earlier - it was awful, you'll hate it Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

erica2004, There are other areas very close in the event that he does get bored. But I didn't, and usually i don't like skiing the same piste too many times.
snow report
Ray Zorro, Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad you do realise you'll get the blame for the resort AND the hotel Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, Well done ! Very Happy

I am not having much luck Confused
snow report
cathy, a week later the flights are 100 quid! Your return flight seems to have gone up to £100.

We hope to go on the 19th.

Well done ,seems you have booked a bargain Little Angel

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 6-07-07 13:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
moon, not often that happens to me! Very Happy We'll try to leave some snow for you snowHead
snow conditions
erica2004,
Quote:

Just to recap, for mileage hungry piste bashers (and a husband who gets bored) would it be OK?

The area is varied and I think interesting, because of the generally good snow conditions the whole area is skiable and none of the runs are really just to get you home. Having said that it is pretty small and you could probably ski just about every run in a couple of days. I certainly was not bored by it but if you dont like skiing the same runs or variants of it often your husband may do. There are plenty of other resorts in the area if you have your own transport and don't mind travelling.
ski holidays
moon, blimey - I've just checked. Flights your week are £100 each way Shocked but departing the 12th are £40 each way http://www.britishairways.com/travel/fx/public/en_gb?eId=111011&timestamp=0706025034 . You need to come my week wink Toofy Grin (Assuming you're flying from Gatwick)
snow conditions
cathy, When I looked an hour ago your return flight was £ 100? now its 40 ??

Ringing around the others to see if we should go your week Toofy Grin

Hope it dosn't change again .

We are considering The Schneider or have been recomended The Montana ,which is in a good location for woosy skiiers ,2 of our party are early intermediates.
ski holidays
moon, if you're booking for a number of people perhpas that changes the price. Are you booking for all your group?

The Schneider really does look nice and they've been very helpful there. And it's right on the slopes, just above the chair lift snowHead

I didn't think Inghams went to Obertauern but apparently they do http://www.inghams.co.uk/ski/AUS/OBT/index.html , as well as Thompsons. Might be worth seeing what some of the packages work out as, although if there's a group of you they never seem to allocate many rooms to the TO.
snow conditions
moon, just checked - if you were booking for 8 people on the 12th, the flights are currently showing as £55 each way, book for 2 and they're £40 each way....
snow conditions
cathy, Will probably go independantly , booking the Hotel + ski pass together seems to be the norm.
The transfer bus is cheap at 39 Euro return.

If we can all go on the 12th and get your great price for the flight ,it will work out at about £600 each. Madeye-Smiley

I checked out Inghams and it works out much dearer.

So may see you there!
ski holidays
moon, Very Happy Very Happy good luck! snowHead
ski holidays
cathy, Where are you flying from? We might have to go to another airport to depart as SkyEurope may not be doing their run from Manchester in 2008, and the charter airlines such as Thomson are quoting £300 return!!! (as 9th Feb is half term). There are 21 of us in our group from the Manchester area, and we are beginning to feel uneasy! Flights are usually released in August so we have everything crossed that SkyEurope does run the route after all, but now considering B’ham, Liverpool and Leeds. Any suggestions please!
ski holidays
sharon1953, we're going from Gatwick but BA are showing £253 each way from Gatwick dep 9 Feb! Shocked Good luck and fingers crossed for SkyEurope!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy