Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ARRGGGHHH My boots hurt

Poster: A snowHead
I bought a new pair of boots just before my Easter ski trip and they hurt a fair bit over the 4 days that I was there. I put this down to me having to break them in a little bit. I bought the boots in a sale at a local ski shop in Leeds and the guy that fitted them ( I won't call this muppet a boot fitter as I don't want to upset the real boot fitters on Snow heads) basically just heated them up and made me walk around for 10 mins. I asked this guy a few questions but he was clueless so I just gave it up as a bad job and left (and I wanted to get home for the footy)

anyway my problems is that I think the boots might be a bit big as the binding on the toes can go onto the last notch.

I went to xscape yesterday and my boots started hurting a bit after only 20 mins, the big problem is with the instep on my right boot does not feel comfortable and starts to hurt after a few runs

Anyone got any suggestions??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ajbaldwin, go see Lockwoods, or CEM.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ajbaldwin Take them to one of
Quote:

the real boot fitters on Snow heads
?
Seriously, I'm planning a trip to see CEM myself at some point, there's some nice shopping in the vicinity to make the journey worthwhile.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Suggestions?

Put them on and kick the "bootfitter" in the shins with them. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle

Where does CEM Live?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ajbaldwin, Bicester.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ajbaldwin, Get yourself to CEM in Bicester. He sorted my Boots, Kitty's Boots & Boywonder's Boots. Can't recommend highly enough. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
www.solutions4feet.co.uk
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, the only thing I'm dubious about is whether I should go at all, given that my boots feel perfectly alright to me!! Reading all the stuff about wiggly ankles (sorry, all you experts) made me think I should have them checked out, but part of me thinks: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Leastways, perhaps I should wait until an instructor says to me: you are skiing like a complete numpty and this is all down to your boots. so have them checked out. But of course at that point I shall probably be out of reach of CEM and have to entrust my boots to some unknown idiot up a mountain.

Any thoughts on the matter - perhaps not from a professional bootfitter Laughing Laughing - would be appreciated.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, why go? If your boots feel alright and you are happy with the way you are skiing - why bother?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother, sorry, obviously didn't make myself clear: in order to check whether my boots would allow me to do the wiggly ankle thing (which I don't altogether understand anyway, but never mind.) Fact is, I learned to ski too long ago and my carving isn't good, so to have an expert look at me in my boots, to see if I really could edge correctly if I tried, might - repeat, might - be no bad thing. Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother, Oh sorry (again) missed a vital point there: no, I'm not happy with the way I am skiing, but doubt that my failings are down to the boots, if honest. Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And I've been meaning to do some discount retail therapy in Bicester for yonks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, I would advise against it, if it's the "wiggly ankle thing" you're worried about. I think it's only really something to worry about once you've got the carving sorted out. I can't remember what your skiing level is, but I think this is only really worth considering at a pretty advanced level. If you punch out the boots they will then be a bit more floppy - freeer movement being the whole point of the exercise - so your ankles will have to work harder to get it right. But if you're not controlling the ankles adequately it'll make things worse - as you'll have more opportunity for doing it wrong. IIRC, veeeight was really originally talking about this in the context of WC racers and tight race-fit boots. I can get enough ankle movement to do it (just) without punching out a stiffish retail pair of boots, but if I don't concentrate on activating them then things can go wrong fairly easily already (I was working on that a fair bit last night). Remember it would also make the boots a bit less stable when dealing with bumps and choppy snow - where you really want all the help and stability you can get.

If it's retail therapy you're truly after, then make a clean breast of it, 'fess up and go anyway - and stuff fiddling with the boots.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ajbaldwin, There is nothing else to do! Go and see CEM at Bicester www.Solutions4feet.co.uk
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, The ankle wiggle they are talking about is a relatively small movement, and if you believe Martin Bell's posts - perhaps more a change of emphasis. It is probably unlikely your boots do not allow you a few degrees of lateral flex unless they are very new and very tight and very high end.

Also the shopping at Bicester is really not that good. It is a bog standard McArthur Glen outlet of which there are now many... and therefore bargains seem to be thinner on the ground. Perhaps you would do better visiting Bluewater and blowing the money there?
snow conditions
There are loads of posts on here about boots and the fitting there of. I can only tell you about my personal experience.
I went to my local shop and got measured by the “boot fitter” tried on 4 different pairs of boots which he recommended after asking me how good I was and how I skied. Each one without the inner first. He made me wear each pair for 10 minutes or so and even in that time, in couple of the boots I had really bad pins and needles. I then picked the boot I liked best. The “boot fitter” explained that the boots would bed in and become looser after 10-20 hours use or so. But a good footbed would tighten things up (would I like one now) I said no and try the boots as is. He then heat fitted the boots.
I skied about 7 days and returned for the footbed. Now I have boots which have had about 40 days use with and are very comfortable.
This was not a snowHead bootfitter just the guy (a boarder of all things rolling eyes ) from my local shop The service was good and I return to the shop to buy other stuff from the shop Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Is this what normaly happens?
ski holidays
GrahamN,
Quote:

if it's the "wiggly ankle thing

Well, perhaps not - I'm not an advanced skier - maybe more a case of making sure that I'm at least not being hindered by my boots, from carrying out most useful manoeuvres. I sort of envisaged putting me boots on, CEM looking at them and saying either 'so, what's the problem?' and me saying 'there isn't one really'; or him saying 'bloody hell, can't imagine how you even begin to ski down a slope with your feet in that position!' and me asking him to do something about it. Or summat like that. You're probably right, best to leave well alone, that was my first instinct, as you saw. Thanks to you and to stoatsbrother for your input. It's rather charming that so few people on here are reticent about giving advice.
latest report
Hurtle, hmmm! nice backhander... wink Of course the huge majority of snowHeads never post at all...
snow report
stoatsbrother, hey, have you come over all sensitive again? I really do appreciate the advice, particularly if it accords with my instinct and saves me money!
latest report
ajbaldwin, Sorry to hijack your thread. Fact is, if your feet hurt, you need to visit a good bootfitter, stands (painfully) to reason. Toofy Grin
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
particularly if it accords with my instinct and saves me money!

Prudent pedant.
snow report
FenlandSkier, Toofy Grin
snow report
ajbaldwin, Definitely visit CEM and BTW there's a really nice Indian restaurant in Bicester (just down the little road off the square where the stream goes) - they do an truly excellent Korma. Very Happy Very Happy Oh - and next time go the a good bootfitter to actually buy the boots int he first place.
ski holidays
Hurtle, If you're worried about *fit* of your boot, then visit CEM. If you're worried about the "wiggly ankle thing" and/or your carving/edging ability, then in the first instance you need to be assessed on snow (preferably on a mountain) by an instructor who has reasonably knowledge of the effect of equipment on skiing Smile
snow conditions
Hurtle, If you don't go you'll never know. Kitty went with her boots, turned out the existing footbeds were split and well past their sell by date. CEM made some new ones, a few tweeks to the boot and what an inprovement to her skiing.
If you go and they're fine, well thats great and you can ski and forget about them.
if they're not, he can sort them out.
It's not such a huge trip from London, just up the A40.
ski holidays
veeeight, Spyderman, Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled wink wink Between you, you have encapsulated my dilemma! But my stronger instinct, since the boot feels perfectly OK, is to be assessed on snow first. Thanks folks!
Thank you too, easiski, the Indian restaurant may yet tip (angulate) me the other way! And I will certainly
Quote:

next time go the a good bootfitter to actually buy the boots int he first place

- I lived in a pre-lapsarian state of ignorance ie pre- snowHead membership, when I bought the current pair! However, the salesman at S&R took a lot of trouble, and my feet have never complained.
Thanks again.
snow conditions
ajbaldwin, If you are from Leeds and don't fancy a trip to Bicester, my current boots were fitted by Julian at EB in the Castleford Xscape. I've not had a moments pain since buying these boots!

I'm not sure what service you would get if you didn't buy the boots from them, or intend to buy boots, but it's worth trying to talk to him.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy