Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

some fat skis to try

Poster: A snowHead
Firstly, I am 6ft, 80kg.
My current skis are HEAD Monster 72s (170cm).

Basically, I'm looking to do a couple of days skiing in Chile and wondering what skis to rent as I can't take mine with me.
Can't even take my boots sadly.
I'll be spending a day on piste I think and a day catskiing so all off piste.

Any recommended fat ski that can cover both of these scenarios and what length...180? I hear the Scotts and K2s are good.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 29-06-07 13:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scott Punisher as a ski to cover both days

or rent a piste specific ski for day one, then go and hire something stupidly long and fat for the catskiing snowHead
No idea as to how good the range of hire gear is that's avilable in Chile, could well be that your stuck with what they have avilable.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd guess that you might be stuck in Chile with standard fayre like Salomon, Rossi etc. Don't expect anything exotic or even current year models.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman,

Quote:

But (assuming youo have them) - you can take your footbeds ..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman,

You'll need a big list as I would not be so sure what they carry and how up to date they would be

A B3 will do both days. The current model..(Green)
K2 Outlaws or Chiefs for OP.
Volkl Karma's or Mantra's
Head 82 and above.
Scott Santiago's...the same ski as a Mission recovered
Dynastar. 8000, 8800, Intitive 74
Rossi Bandit XX
Public Enemy
Dlack Daimond Havocs and Kilowatts

Stay away from PR's unless you have skied them before and like them. Dreadful, dreadful...IMV

As long as the snow is fresh and the ski is wide and in good nick, then most wide skis will do well.

Be wary of the BIG Movements ( like the POW POW etc ) and Beefy Stockli's. These are stiff skis and best kept clear off unless you know them well
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ski wrote:
GordonFreeman,

Quote:

Laughing never thought of that!
I suppose I just match it up with the boot type and size?
Is it just the orange mould or do you take that actual base structure as well (plastic bit underneath) ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Volkl: Katana/Gotama/Bridge.
Black Crows: Corvus/Navis
Dynastar: Pro Pider
Nordica: Blower/Enforcer
Scott: Pure.

Whether some of these skis will be available, i couldn't say, but for me represent the best on offer for 2007/08.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Okay, what about minimum waist width then if I can't find some of these skis?
I don't want it to be too sluggish on the groomers but obviously the main reason I'm going is to get some deep powder experience/action Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At 6ft, 80kg, you should be looking around 185cm with the shortest turn radius not to penilise yourself on the piste too much. The Nordica Enforcer fits this catagory perfectly. Otherwise try the Seth from K2 in 189, these should be the easiest to find.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GordonFreeman, have a look at http://www.skitotal.cl/html_ingles/home_ing.htm will give you a good idea about ski hire (and transfers also). Looking on their site I'd be tempted by the B3s
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FAT Skis?

And off we go again.................................. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GordonFreeman,
Well, depending on their vintage. It they are within two years old, then 88's will be ok for piste. Not really snappy, of course but the Outlaw, for example, does all the Recon will do, pretty much. A few years ago, 75 mmm might have been around the limit. The newer they are in terms of design, the better the wider skis will/should be on-piste. But you are still talking about a compromise, really, just nowhere near the compromise of yore..Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anything over 100mm underfoot should be fun if you can find them.

Contrasting JTs view I'd say the Pocket Rocket / Gun would be an awesome first "fat" ski to try. Super forgiving and a real blast. It's often called the blue noodle because they are super soft but if you ski with a modern 'carving' technique any competent piste skier can take these straight into the powder and love it.

If it's the Gray B3 that would be an OK compromise, if it's green look for a B4...

K2 Seth Pistols (or Vicious depending on Vintage), Volkl Mantras (or Explosives, again vintage), Volkl Gotamas, Salomon Pocket Rockets / Gun, Atomic Sugar Daddies etc...

Or a beefed up version of your Heads in you likey... Mojo 90 (min) or im103s would be helluva fun if the conditions are right.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
100mm underfoot?
I'm not sure they'll even turn on a groomer Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
180s more difficult to control than 170s?
ski holidays
GordonFreeman, I can't give you any advice on skis, but just dropped in to ask you to give us a report after your trip, preferably with some pics! snowHead
latest report
GordonFreeman wrote:
ski wrote:
GordonFreeman,

Quote:

Laughing never thought of that!
I suppose I just match it up with the boot type and size?
Is it just the orange mould or do you take that actual base structure as well (plastic bit underneath) ?

So, do I just take the footbed mould or do I need to take the plastic block under it as well that fits the boot?
snow report
Gordon - why cant you take your boots and ski's?
ski holidays
too much weight and luggage. I'm only skiing for a few days then travelling off round Bolivia and Peru.
Don't wanna be dragging my ski boots on some rafts, 4x4 in the desert, etc. Smile
latest report
GordonFreeman, Just post 'em back when you're done.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy