Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So who has got it in for Warren Smith?

Poster: A snowHead
Spyderman, I'd go along with that.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle, then the remark might be written better, with better context?

here is an exercise: rewrite the TGR post in snowHead speak. Keep the scorn and seething energy.

I confess I couldn't.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, I have just googled "Warren Smith" and couldn't find either thread. Admittedly I could only be bothered to look at the first 2 pages of results
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman wrote:

The reason I think it should be moved or pulled, is that by Googling WS, it links snowHeads to an obvious illegal & malicious thread on Teton. Not because I have a particular concern about someones business interests. I don't think this thread in itself has done anything to harm WS, in fact most is to the good.

I am no lawyer, but considering what 'Private Eye' can get away with, I would need to be convinced the Teton thread is, in fact, illegal.

Anyway, to rush to the lawyers at the first hint of criticism rings alarm bells. That is the behaviour of Robert Maxwell, or the other Goldsmith..... James(no relation to Dave or Dale).

I would not have sought ski lessons from either of those individuals when they were alive.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Latchigo, Dave & Dale are dead Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Damn
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex, Don't know what snowHead speak is, and I am no novelist, but given the motivation and enough time - which I currently don't have - I could probably make a reasonable fist of something containing equivalent scorn and seething energy, but using ordinary English.

Latchigo, Despite my training, I am not a litigious person (my work was in deal-making, not litigation, and now it is in the field of mental health/human rights). Nevertheless, I think that Warren Smith would be prudent to consult a lawyer, simply because the Teton material could potentially be very damaging to his business. It is way out of order to compare him to the Maxwells of this world for doing so.

Incidentally, I am not aware that Robert Maxwell or Jimmy Goldsmith ever held themselves out as ski instructors. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To follow up the poster about multiple lessons dove-tailing between different instructors and maybe different countries, why shouldn't you expect them to speak from the same book? There are only so many ways to do certain things so the principles are the same....even between some old skool and new skool, in that you have to get the ski on edge. Some skis are turnier or more helpful bla bla...................

I am definitely old school but watched a WS video for the 1st time the other day and the only thing that confused me was the jargon, otherwise the two sections, carving and steeps, made perfect sense when watching what he was trying to do.

I thought he looked very compact and stylish through the carving section...which has aped the technique of today's racers, by and large, but this wasn't a million miles away from the way you might see the Bell's free-sking at the time they were racing. I can remember them vivdly on ski sunday a few years ago...

How many times can you try and invent this particular wheel...???? Of course, go to which ever instructor you like best...and for whatever reason and they will have their own way of teaching and getting the point across...but the core will be consistant, IMV
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, I do think it's right to put this thread in this section - I wondered why it was in the Piste section in the first place. And I'm sorry Spyderman but I did think your posts were a bit disingenuous - seeking clarification of his qualifications stated on his website (your post seems to have been edited) and

Quote:
kiwi1, WS is fantastic at Promotion and PR he has done a lot to promote the 'Verbier Ride'.
He has managed to surround himself with some really top quality people.
I'm in total agreement with you regarding the people in his organisation. There is no doubting his staff's credentials or qualifications.
His PR skills or quality of his staff, have never been disputed.

ie - the people working for him are great - and he's good at PR. Even I can read between the lines on this one rolling eyes

He has received good support here but I'm not surprised he's taken umbrage at this thread.

BTW - I've never met the guy or had lessons on his programme.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As the originator of this thread I just want to be clear that I didn't post with malicious intent but rather to highlight that there seemed to be an impersonation issue going on. So on balance if this thread is positive or balanced it probably deserves to stay but if the mods feel different then kill it.

I would think legally taking on TGR is a bit of an over-reaction not least because there are numerous maggot lawyers who would happily give their time for free to defend their right to smack talk each other and any passing party and it would show a serious lack of a sense of humour. Hopefully Warren has dealt with it but hey he's been talked about in the middle of the quiet season so its not all bad Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Anyway, to rush to the lawyers at the first hint of criticism rings alarm bells. That is the behaviour of Robert Maxwell, or the other Goldsmith..... James(no relation to Dave or Dale).

It's not criticism, it's copying huge chunks of his website and then pretending to be him, even it was intended as a spoof. Private Eye gets away with it (sometimes) because it's intelligent and amusing, not two words I think I'd apply to TGR. Also their targets are generally guilty of slightly more than subjecting people to excessive braquage
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I doubt WS's lawyers would make much headway in the States. They take freedom of speech more seriously there. I can't see how that infantile nonsense would harm his business anyway.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"how bad the rest of the world's ski instructors are."

Well, I went on one of Warren's courses in Saas Fee last September and I had a great time. I don't recall anyone slagging off any other ski instructors. Is that your experience or did you hear that from someone else?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy,
Quote:

He has received good support here but I'm not surprised he's taken umbrage at this thread.

Warren hasn't taken umbrage at this thread, it's just that it was highlighting on Google the link to Teton, when it was in the public part of the Forum.
Quote:

seeking clarification of his qualifications stated on his website (your post seems to have been edited)

I sought clarification of his qualifications, with regard to the previous GAP course thread. That, at the time was never answered. I edited my post today, because I met Warren this afternoon, as he had a meeting near my office today. At that meeting we talked about amongst other things the qualifications posted on his website. He clarified to me the qualifications that he has and I thought it only fair that I amend my post.

Quote:
ie - the people working for him are great - and he's good at PR. Even I can read between the lines on this one

What do you want more do you want me to say? Warren has a great set up in Verbier, has outstanding talent working for him, promotes himself, his company, Verbier and snowsports very well. He is a nice guy. Inspiring Coach.

I wish Warren every success in removing the post on Teton.
snow report
bh1,
Quote:

There are some potential suspects in here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26305

To who are you referring? Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Good luck to Warren. He is a marketing genius who has done a lot to promote the new wave of freeride and freeskiing in the UK, along with other positive, energetic characters like Stu Brass and Pat Sharples.

In fact I would go as far to say that UK ski-racing could do with someone with the shrewd marketing sense of Warren.
snow conditions
Martin Bell wrote:
In fact I would go as far to say that UK ski-racing could do with someone with the shrewd marketing sense of Warren.

Hear, hear!
snow report
TwistBarbie wrote:
"how bad the rest of the world's ski instructors are."

Well, I went on one of Warren's courses in Saas Fee last September and I had a great time. I don't recall anyone slagging off any other ski instructors. Is that your experience or did you hear that from someone else?

TB, just realised you had quoted me there. The first line of what I wrote began:

Not referring to Warren,

So, what I was saying was that my post was not about Warren. It was actually about an Austrian marketing man who lives in America.
snow report
I'll agree to anything, provided it is in strict accordance with the following plan

Please pay particular attention to the SWOT Analysis
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, Is the above diagram protected by copyright, at least should you have credited the author?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 27-06-07 8:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
It appears to be public domain material, copyright protected.
More info and resources: www.tutor2u.net.
Home page states: "Feel free to use our extensive free collection of subject blogs, study notes, presentations, quizzes, discussion boards.."
latest report
I am going to stand up for Warren here as well - I have been a ski instructor for 17 years, worked both northern and southern hemispheres. Internationally qualified and a race coach.

Warren is an exceptional instructor, his enthusiasm is second to none. Yes he promotes himself - why shouldn't he, at least he doesn't slag others off or write sad and pathetic posts to glean clients.

How do I know this ? last season my friend was having a nightmare with the hard pack and I wanted to ski not teach. I am sure all former ski instructors (and current) will have empathy here. So being a good mate I dumped him with Warren Smith. The next day he was fine to let me enjoy the crud (err) while he went off with Wazza (obviously a free ride thing).

Without going into to much detail I shadowed the class for 20 mins and was almost inspired to do 'one more season'.

From what I saw Warren is very good - speak to my friend - he's the best thing since sliced bread.

It didn't go unnoticed that during my stay that some (British) instructors slagged him off (not at all professional hopefully not BASI), it stinks of jealously.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy