Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So who has got it in for Warren Smith?

monster77
monster77
Spyderman wrote:
monster77, I think it's your turn

What and mention a certain person who has spent many hours skiing with WS but doesn't show any sign of improvement.

No I cant do that Very Happy Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You don't need ISTD/BASI 1/French National Equivalence to nevertheless be the finest of skiers and instructors - remember also that he qualified in a totally different era, with no intention of teaching in France.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I watched one of his videos the other day... other than that I only know of him from here...and it was very good, if you can't pick up pointers from that, then..... Puzzled Shocked rolling eyes Laughing

I am not a fan of jargon and like plain english and that was visually very easy to follow.

In fact I would say that some jargon spouted on here is almost..almost designed to intimedate
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I too have found his DVDs useful reminders but no substitute for face to face teaching. Very simple explanations. I am not sure I find his skiing style terribly attractive, but I am also sure he would hate mine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
monster77 wrote:
What and mention a certain person who has spent many hours skiing with WS but doesn't show any sign of improvement.

Oi! I'm doing my best y'know. Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I did a Warren Smith Verbier course in January (along with some other snowHead 's) and had a brilliant time.
I feel that both my skiing and confidence improved and I was tackling runs and areas I had never had the confidence to do previously.
I didnt actually ski with The Man (Warren) but during the video analysis he immediatly started commenting on how my skiing had improved from a previous session in MK 4 months prior to that Shocked A lot of instructors may not have remembered me from the previous day let alone 4mths before rolling eyes

I really dont really care what his qualifications are as he seems to offer a method of teaching (and those of his coaches) which seems to work for me Very Happy

I think it's sad if somebody has a grudge or whatever against the guy to stir up stuff like this rather than go and say it to his face Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Linds wrote:
I really dont really care what his qualifications are ...........

I think it's sad if somebody has a grudge or whatever against the guy to stir up stuff like this rather than go and say it to his face Sad

Agreed, though I could not work out what TGR was saying anyway, It all went over my head.

The only caveat about Warren Smith courses is you will not be doing everything you see in the video. You will be doing warm up and warm down every day and you will be doing a lot of bracage (however it is spelt).

I would have liked to have skied a far greater area of Verbier, having paid for the lift pass.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think that it's been established conclusively that this is an alias on the basis that the first post says he operates out of "Verbier, France". I wouldn't read too much into it other than the fact that WS is clearly well enough known to be seen as a target for a send-up like this. Maybe this suggests he is doing something right!

This post probably sums up the motivations of whoever started the thread:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1326558&postcount=63

The Harald Harb thread was actually quite funny and directed at someone more worthy of being lampooned that WS IMO
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I think it's sad if somebody has a grudge or whatever against the guy to stir up stuff like this rather than go and say it to his face

hey, it's the internet! Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just find it quite odd that no-one who has actually skiied with Warren seems to write and slag him off, most of the feedback is similar to Linds above. He also seems to get a lot of repeat and referral business. Perhaps this tells you more than anything else?

Oh and BTW for those of you still wondering rolling eyes it wasn't Warren who posted it on TGR, he didn't know about when I spoke to him this morning. I think his promotional abilities are a bit better than that!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Latchigo
I would have liked to have skied a far greater area of Verbier, having paid for the lift pass.

Latchigo, I tried the mogles (a few times) and various off piste including Tortan Shocked
OK, I know for you lot that do all the steep and deep stuff that may not sound a lot but to me it was an achievement Very Happy
I also managed to rid myself of a very big hang up I had about skiing in the slushy stuff and felt I skied and managed a lot better (without throwing the dolly out the pram rolling eyes Laughing ) in Val T at the snowHead EOSB Laughing
It's all about what works for you as an individual. So if anybody would like to donate to my next season ski fund or sponsor me I would happily go back to Verbier just to make sure that it would work again for me Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Linds wrote:
Quote:
Latchigo

Latchigo, I tried the mogles (a few times) and various off piste including Tortan Shocked
OK, I know for you lot that do all the steep and deep stuff that may not sound a lot but to me it was an achievement Very Happy

Did you do Tortin on the Warren Smith course ?

Ski Club went down it on Wednesday, though I took the lift down on hearing the description.

Having then seen what was involved I was glad I did. We did other moguls with WS, but nothing as relentless as Tortin.

It's just starting from the same place every day, after warm ups, limits your options to see much of what is on offer.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Latchigo, I was with Linds in Verbier earlier this year too, although I wasn't in Warrens group either.

We spent the first two days on the runs, the rest off them.

Over the four days of the course we were taked off the front side of Mont Fort (to the right of the black run as you ski down) many times as a sort of warm up, down Tortin (sadly no bumps as it was powder wink ), lapped Stairway, down Col Des Mines, and also down many of the "no name" in between piste areas that provide bumps and/or powder depending on the snow.

It was plenty for me as I was pretty knackered doing that lot. Looking at a map, I suppose we didn't ski around the area too much, but we didn't spend too much time getting around on lifts either.

I thought it was well worth it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, Well you both seem to have covered more ground than I did. Yes, that is important to me. 'Great British piste basher' mind set and proud of it. If the runs were to be limited, the way I see it, I would have been better off on the same course, at a smaller resort, with a cheaper lift pass. 'Skinflint mind set' and proud of it

Even though I missed the last day through injury, another Snowhead in my group was on here to advise that Friday was more of the same - bracage (with kick-off from the warm up spot, at the usual time, presumably).

By the way, you probably mean five days of the course - not four.

Having said that, I enjoyed the course for what it was. I just wish we had done more.

At least I have an idea what they are on about on Epic ski, with A frame stances and such like. I still try to avoid reading about the technical aspects of skiing though. A DVD or personal instruction is far better.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BGA wrote:
I just find it quite odd that no-one who has actually skiied with Warren seems to write and slag him off, most of the feedback is similar to Linds above. He also seems to get a lot of repeat and referral business. Perhaps this tells you more than anything else?

Not referring to Warren, but I can think of another instructor who would say exactly the same, but his disciples, sorry, worshippers, no, I mean "students" all come back saying the same things, and will talk about how bad the rest of the world's ski instructors are.
It doesn't make him a good instructor, it doesn't make him a person I'd want to meet, but he has got an interesting marketing method which is based around making himself look different and convincing others that he is better. Pure marketing, very little substance.
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
easiski wrote:
.....Pity he (Warren Smith) doesn't teach his students to hold their edges on a traverse! Shocked

easiski Having done a number of weeks with Warren that statement is simply untrue. And if one of his students has told you that then they simply weren't listening.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 26-06-07 17:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Tai Chi skier ?
snow report
Latchigo, no, HaHa Wink
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
easiski wrote:
.....Pity he (Warren Smith) doesn't teach his students to hold their edges on a traverse! Shocked

easiski Having done a number of weeks with Warren that statement is simply untrue. And if one of his students has told you that then they simply weren't listening.

We did not do any traverses when I was there. If we had I am sure we would have got the appropriate advice.

So you could both be right.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Highway Star ? At least he would be cheap.
ski holidays
I just had a face to face meeting with Warren Smith. As I suspected, He most certainly did not post that thread on 'Teton'. His Lawyers are trying to deal with it with Teton. This is maliciously impersonating Warren, to his detriment.
I knew that Warren was qualified as an ISIA in Austria, but can now also confirm that he holds a 2007 IVSI licence, because I've seen it. The reason it is not on the SSE & SSS websites, is because it is issued by Snowsports Wales. (perhaps that's why he was making it vague).
I have known Warren since 1991 & have skied with him.
In speaking to Warren, this thread, because it is in the public part of the Forum, is causing Warren severe problems, as it comes up when WS is Googled. To avoid further problems for Warren could one of the mods please move it to a member only section of the forum, so it will not appear when Googled, alternatively the thread should be pulled.
I have raised points about Warren in the past I thought were valid to be raised, but resent the inferrence by some that I instigated the Teton post or have said anything malicious about WS.
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
In speaking to Warren, this thread, because it is in the public part of the Forum, is causing Warren severe problems, as it comes up when WS is Googled. To avoid further problems for Warren could one of the mods please move it to a member only section of the forum, so it will not appear when Googled, alternatively the thread should be pulled.

??????????????

Epic has a members only section, but not Snowheads - unless I am missing something.

Maybe there is a members only section, but you have to get invited like the Freemasons.
latest report
Latchigo wrote:

??????????????

Epic has a members only section, but not Snowheads - unless I am missing something.

BzK, Apres, and Suggestions are not visible to guests.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Not referring to Warren, but I can think of another instructor who would say exactly the same, but his disciples, sorry, worshippers, no, I mean "students" all come back saying the same things, and will talk about how bad the rest of the world's ski instructors are.
It doesn't make him a good instructor, it doesn't make him a person I'd want to meet, but he has got an interesting marketing method which is based around making himself look different and convincing others that he is better. Pure marketing, very little substance.

Foxy, I know you say you're not referring to Warren but I certainly wouldn't put Warren into the HH category as he is certainly not promoting a particular method etc.

As to substance, I've done a couple of weeks with Warren prior to going to ESA 06 (with Martin Bell) & have done a week since. In the middle of that I've also had a couple of privates with Easiski. Whilst the individual's personalities differed, the 'message/method' from all three instructors was basically identical & seemless - which is interesting as some suggest that being Austrian, PSIA & BASI qualified would mean that they would each teach a particular & differing method from each.

Yes Warren is pretty good at marketing but then so is Weems. Perhaps good skiing & good instruction is simply that - good!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 26-06-07 18:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Latchigo, Like comprex, says, BzK probably best or pull it all together.

BTW, you have to ask to join the Freemasons, you don't get invited.
snow report
Spyderman, Freemasons is against my religion anyway Laughing
ski holidays
Arno,
Quote:

This post probably sums up the motivations of whoever started the thread:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1326558&postcount=63

And in English Puzzled
snow report
Spyderman,
Quote:

And in English

Indeed. I know I'm a pedant, but that lingo is truly something else again. Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman wrote:
...In speaking to Warren, this thread, because it is in the public part of the Forum, is causing Warren severe problems, as it comes up when WS is Googled. To avoid further problems for Warren could one of the mods please move it to a member only section of the forum, so it will not appear when Googled, alternatively the thread should be pulled...

clearly, the ultimate decision is up to the Mods/Admin, but I am not sure why SHs should agree to this. Even assuming this thread was overwhelmingly negative about WS, so long as it doesn't slip into defamation, I'd say it should stand. SHs should not agree to hide negative feedback given in good faith just because it gives the subject of that feedback problems

As it is, this thread is pretty balanced. In fact, the most negative posts are probably yours, Spyderman, so maybe some editing is in order rather than dumping this somewhere away from public eyes Confused
snow report
Hurtle, You have to be aware that TGR posts are usually written in American dude-speak.

I have just got to grips with terms like 'rain cheque' and 'sidewalk'.

'Stoke' is a term too far.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 26-06-07 18:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Latchigo,
Quote:

American dude-speak

Yup, I think I worked that out! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
Spyderman,
Quote:

And in English

Indeed. I know I'm a pedant, but that lingo is truly something else again. Shocked

And yet it beats any emoticon ever invented for precision of context and emphasis, readability, quoteability, and immunity to deliberate misquoting and misuse.

Is it the emoticon pushers that really need to clean up their writing?
snow report
so we have bowed to WS's reported concern about this thread. will we do this every time something negative is written about a business?

edit: hang on a minute - wasn't this just on Apres? I'm confused Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
so we have bowed to WS's reported concern about this thread. will we do this every time something negative is written about a business?

It is still in the 'Piste' section where it could be googled.

Are you anticipating it being moved ? There is a good case for it being in the 'Bend ze knees' section anyway.
latest report
comprex, Gosh, high praise indeed, a bit too high in my view. I like words (fairly obviously) and try to choose them carefully, but I also enjoy emoticons - they're fun and really no crime. They also have the useful function, especially the wink perhaps, of lightening a remark that could otherwise be deemed offensive.
snow report
Latchigo wrote:
Hurtle, You have to be aware that TGR posts are usually written in American dude-speak.

I have just got to grips with terms like 'rain cheque' and 'sidewalk'.

'Stoke' is a term too far.

It's "rain check" not "rain cheque", I'm afraid. Wink
snow report
Latchigo,
Quote:

There is a good case for it being in the 'Bend ze knees' section anyway

Indeed. But what is the logic behind holding that section away from 'public' view?
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
Latchigo,
Quote:

There is a good case for it being in the 'Bend ze knees' section anyway

Indeed. But what is the logic behind holding that section away from 'public' view?

Check out the equivalent in epicski.com, you'll understand.
ski holidays
Arno,
Quote:

The reason I think it should be moved or pulled, is that by Googling WS, it links snowHeads to an obvious illegal & malicious thread on Teton. Not because I have a particular concern about someones business interests. I don't think this thread in itself has done anything to harm WS, in fact most is to the good.
latest report
abc, Can't be bothered. Maybe someone else will answer my question.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy