Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Length of poles...

Poster: A snowHead
After a short debate with someone, I really would like to know if length of poles is a personal thing, or if there is a 'proper' length?

I have 120's and would like some a little shorter, whereas 2 of my very close amis have 130 and 135, both of they are verrryyy similar height to me...

are they the ones with the right poles?
or are we all right, because thats just what we like?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
george_1, yes, no, maybe (I expect I'll be told I'm wrong any second now!)

The "normal" way of selecting the right pole length is to turn the pole upside down, and grab it under the basket. You arm should be bent at a right angle.

There are other schools of thought that would say to go with shorter poles on piste and longer off.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat, Thats how I selected my poles originally, and have grown a bit since then, but they seem to be getting better as I grow.

I think I would be with the 'shorter poles off piste', it makes sense....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
george_1, The idea of me weighing in on a technical issue is pretty laughable, but... my understanding is that the classic length is that which causes a 90 degree angle between your upper arm and your forearm (and you test this indoors by turning the pole upside down and holding it below the basket.) However, I have a tendency - as do many people - to lean too far back and have therefore had my poles cut down a bit, in order to force me forwards.
Come in somebody with real expertise, please!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
george_1, I'd go along with what Wear The Fox Hat, as a guide and after that it's what you feel confortable with until a snowhead instructor tells you your poles are too short or too long.

I'm confused.....what did I just say.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat, george_1, Yes, plainly the fact of the pole sinking more deeply into powder will make a difference.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
george_1, I think this is a tricky but interesting subject. According to the WTFH guide I should use 125 & have done so from the age of 20 ish onwards, but when I started to ski frequently (last year - 2 -3 times a week) I used shorter & shorter poles until I got to 115 - which I loved & used solidly. My dad tried to get me away from this length - by buying me some really posh 120's as a compromise - but on plastic, I still reach for the shorties???? I am 5'11 ish.

We have discussed body length & leg length before - but I don't remember the conclusion Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
george_1, I usually use 115 (I'm 5'4" and used the "holding under the basket" technique to establish the "right" length) but at the EoSB I was given 105 which I found much easier to manage. Unfortunatley ssh said they were too short so I swapped them for the usual 115 and promptly went back to pole dragging. I'll def go for shorter next time
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rpft, I should use 125s as well (and did for years). I think my current ones are 120.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, do you prefer the shorter ones? why did you try/buy them in the first place? (off piste?) I can't help thinking it is body / leg length - the angle must be different.

holidayloverxx, I used to drag my poles too - I am so much happier with shorties Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rpft, I prefer the shorter ones, because I'm not dragging them, and am more likely to use them as they were designed, but mainly on piste.

Not sure about the body/leg length bit, cause you hold the pole in your hand for the measurement, and you hold it there when skiing as well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, but you bend your body forward - if you have a shorter top bit - is it easier to be lower more comfortably ??? There must be some technical reason why I really prefer the poles of someone 7" shorter than me Puzzled. I'm not happy with this theory because I don't understand it..... Confused Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rpft wrote:
.....There must be some technical reason why I really prefer the poles of someone 7" shorter than me.....?

Maybe your hands are too low & shorter poles allow you to get away with it as they don't drag? That's what I did.

Shorter poles are easier in bumbs though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've had the 'hang the pole upside down from the basket' thing explained before, however, what wasn't clear then or now was where is the measurement taken to when a pole says how long it is. Is it from the handle to the basket, the handle to the end of the pole, just under the handle to either the basket or pole end etc. I can measure this distance from my right angle hand to the foor, but would like to know how this distance relates to the advertised pole length. Also if the bit from the basket to the ground comes into play then do I need to know how long this bit of the pole is. I haven't explained that very well, but hopefully someone can see what I'm getting at.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, don't worry about the size of the pole. Put the handle on the floor - top of fist against basket & your arm should be bent at a right angle. Very Happy hope this makes sense - as per WTFH. Are you going to the snowHead meet at MK in aug?
snow report
I ski with 122cms... 120 too short, 125 too long. Poles - even carbon - are easy to cut.

But I ski on one pair of skis with riser plates (Atomic 11r20) and one pair without (1080 foil) - do I need longer poles if I use the Atomics?! Confused wink

Megamum, a brilliant question. I know my poles are 122cm because I took 3cm off 125s, but the distance which measures 122cm appears to be tip of point of pole to the highest bit of the handle I can hold. Anyone know the answer?
snow report
rpft, Yes, I get the concept, but, for example, if I wanted to order poles off the internet I couldn't swing them upside down and play with them could I? but I could measure the distance between hand and floor if I knew how that distance related to the advertised size of the poles. Does that make sense?
ski holidays
Megamum, the reason why I say 'don't worry about the size' is because I too have tried measuring - but gave up when I realised the manufacturers weren't particularly accurate. My new posh lightweight ones are 120 - but in reality, about 117 (don't tell my dad Toofy Grin) whereas my (very) old scott 125's - were closer to a 126/7. If you are going to MK you are welcome to try mine & I'll bring my older ones too.
snow report
Megamum, crossed threads!! No - you are absolutely right - it really is about how they feel - don't think I would buy poles without having a feel first. As per my last thread - hopefully you will come to MK & can try my weird selection Laughing
snow report
rpft,
Quote:

don't think I would buy poles without having a feel first.

What about Bulgarians? wink Laughing

I'm 6'0" started with 130cm thought they felt too long, so attacked them with a hacksaw. Now ski 125cm.
snow conditions
Spyderman, Laughing Laughing you made me laugh out loud then - mr rpft was convinced I was being a good girl & doing my work NOT looking at snowpervs Laughing
latest report
I don't know whether I'll be able to get to MK in August - I must have missed the thread regarding this trip - it would depend on timing and on finances. What I do know is someone started chat about poles on the MBB and I said that the pair I had been using had felt weird all morning, and when I held them up they were 4" different!! Shocked
snow conditions
Megamum, Ah but you are meant to use the longer pole in your downhill hand and swap them after you turn.... honest....
snow conditions
I'm a firm believer is shorter poles than the traditional measure having experimented a bit recently - on Saturday I was using poles 10cm shorter than my regular poles. If you get adjustable poles you can of course experiment freely.
snow report
fatbob, I can see that in bumps , truly deep powder and on a groomed piste, but what about steep terrain, jump turns, and Slow Dog Noodles?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 25-06-07 22:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Still no-one has admitted that they have an answer to my question though. Come-on Snowhead's I can't believe I've got you stumped!!
snow conditions
Megamum, it doesn't matter, it's a way outdated method anyway.
latest report
Megamum wrote:
rpft, Yes, I get the concept, but, for example, if I wanted to order poles off the internet I couldn't swing them upside down and play with them could I? but I could measure the distance between hand and floor if I knew how that distance related to the advertised size of the poles. Does that make sense?

Why not just try them & buy them in real shop ? Postage costs will outweigh any savings you make online anyway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, It's OK - hypothetical situation, as I'll probably stick with what I get given. Mind you I'm still interested in the answer. Come-on have I got you all stumped - cockle doodle do!!
snow report
Megamum, The measurement is the total length of the pole from the tip up to the top of your hand grip, excluding the flat safety bit on top of the handle. There your firework has been doused. NehNeh
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
fatbob, I can see that in bumps , truly deep powder and on a groomed piste, but what about ... Slow Dog Noodles?

Tend to use chopsticks rather than poles when I visit Korea. wink
snow conditions
Megamum,

The lenght of the pole is from tip to tail or handle, the total lenght. The variations maybe that any new baskets put on don't sit exactly in the right place. My Salomon poles with powder baskets have this issue. I have now have BD carbon adjustables so that will solve that anyway. I prefer my poles to be on the long side and I am shade under 6ft 2. I use 130's, there is nothing worse than poles that are too short....!!! well, there is, but you get my drift.

However, if you don't rely on a pole plant, then the question of lenght doesn't really matter. New school carving might not concentrate on pole plants much either.
latest report
Thank you folks, that's what I wanted to know!
latest report
As all above. The worry with shorter poles as that it makes your stance more bent over.
I have this on advice from a ski instructor who told us to go back to the shop and get longer ones (much to the surprise of the shop) as it made you stand upright and have more correct balance.
ski holidays
george_1, You worry too much.

You can borrow my 115's to see if they work for you and I'll sell 'em to you if you like them! rolling eyes

snowHead
snow conditions
GordonFreeman,
Quote:

The worry with shorter poles as that it makes your stance more bent over

Not if you BZK!
snow report
I'm jumping in with both feet and not going to read all that everyone has posted.

I bought shorter poles at the recommendation of my fellow bears. In theory it was supposed to get me forward and into a better carve position. After taking a bump lesson, I was informed that my stance was too compact and I was forced to go back to my old poles for a few days.

I found out, I'm much happier with my old poles in the old length, and I'm skiing more upright.

I guess you can say I STOOD the test, and am happier!
snow conditions
SnowHot, is that the final word or will you move to shorter poles when you have an upright torso and highly retracted legs on the same bump run?

Front Four are a'waitin'...
ski holidays
JT, just to deviate wink new skool carving ain't much use on a 45 degree slope with death cookies all round...
snow conditions
DM,

I saw a new skool vid the other day and lo and behold...all the old stuff was right there in front of you for the steep section... Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy