Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base Layer Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Masque wrote:
spyderjon, you've got to keep them cool to keep yer wee wrigglers hale and hearty Madeye-Smiley

With a 22 & 20 year old I'm thankfully well past that particular technical requirement Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spyderjon,

Looked at the sizing chart and as I read it a L regular shows an inside leg in 31 1/8. This would be ok as it is the same lenght as as my current trews. L tall would be 33..which mean I would be wearing like a dude...!!!! Laughing I can't think how tall you would have to be otherwise...!!! 6ft 5..??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, icebreaker's lightest weight is 140g/m2..... which is a fair bit lighter than the 200g/m2.... you may want to check that out!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
little tiger wrote:
spyderjon, icebreaker's lightest weight is 140g/m2..... which is a fair bit lighter than the 200g/m2.... you may want to check that out!

Thanks for that. That would be kind of weight I'd like but after trying some Icebreaker merino on I realise it's not the fabric for me. I know it's extremely smooth for wool but I still find it itchy compared to synthetics.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, so do I - even thought they claim it's not. I'm quite a fan of Quechua's (Decathlon's) range. Difficult to beat at €9 per wicking t-shirt...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch wrote:
..... I'm quite a fan of Quechua's (Decathlon's) range. Difficult to beat at €9 per wicking t-shirt...

I've got half a dozen of their wicking T's & a dozen long sleeved ones & I wear them all the time. They're superb, maybe not quite to Patagonia standard (et al) but at that price they work just fine for me. They've gone all fashion conscious now & now brand them as 'Kalenji'.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With these base layers esp. thermals I find that I require very little more than the thermals themselves unless its very cold. I therefore tend to wear them directly under my salopettes, as spyderjon, says the old salopettes can be a bit cold on the skin. Is it 'de rigor' (sp?) to wear the thermals directly under the outer layer or would I be better off with something between the two layers. I must admit to looking rather less than a fashion plate model with bog standard mens cotton thermals on before I put on the ski suit!! I'm now rather worried about the possiblity of sharing living accomodation if I go to the event that mustn't be mentioned next year - maybe I should go for these designer thermals being discussed here!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum,
Quote:

Is it 'de rigor' (sp?) to wear the thermals directly under the outer layer

Only if you've already died of hypothermia!
Your system of thermals directly under salopettes sounds fine EXCEPT - do you sit around at lunchtime in yer vest and braces? Shocked Or maybe you're just talking about LJs in this instance, and not your upper body.
And don't worry about the designer labels - I do declare that this is the most pretentious fashion discussion I've ever read and I'm a woman, for heaven's sake!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just like the plain old Lowe running tights for a base layer. Not too warm but wick like hell.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
Megamum,
Quote:

Is it 'de rigor' (sp?) to wear the thermals directly under the outer layer

Only if you've already died of hypothermia!

Toofy Grin
My ski trousers are fleece lined so I don't suffer from the "cold clench" problem Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FenlandSkier, I'm really, really glad to hear that!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Or maybe you're just talking about LJs in this instance, and not your upper body.

Hurtle, I usually put something on over the top of the upper thermals Toofy Grin However, as those that went to MK will attest to, I've something a lot more stylish to wear on the upper body for at least one day now wink

Isn't it curious how peoples snowHead names sometimes cause an expectation of male/female that you weren't expecting. I've got a poor memory for some things so its possible I've missed salient comments you've made before, but I wasn't expecting you to be a woman, similarly I see that Kitenski is signing of as 'Greg' which I wasn't expecting Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum wrote:
...similarly I see that Kitenski is signing of as 'Greg' which I wasn't expecting Embarassed Embarassed

I'll bet you're subconsciously reading it as Kitten Ski and assuming the poster to be female.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'll bet you're subconsciously reading it as Kitten Ski and assuming the poster to be female.

FenlandSkier, That's exactly what I was doing!! Until I saw 'Greg' at the bottom and really looked I would have swore blind that it was Kittenski and therefore female!! I wonder if that's why he he also off as Greg!!

I guess its Kite'n'ski I wonder if he flies those big power kites - they always look great fun!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FenlandPsychic strikes again Very Happy
ski holidays
FenlandSkier,
Quote:

Me too. Clever old FenlandPsychotic.
latest report
Megamum, Hurtle,

We were talking about warmth and fit.... what's all this fashion nonsense....? that's not to say spyderjon isn't a stylish man.... Laughing
I think you are the one making it a fashion and woman thing.
latest report
Hurtle, Laughing

Megamum, silk LJs directly under trews for me. Whatever the weather, as otherwise the trousers stick to my legs which I loathe. So that's another argument in favour of silk for me.
snow report
eng_ch,

I like the idea of silk..Laughing
snow conditions
eng_ch,
Quote:

silk LJs directly under trews for me. Whatever the weather, as otherwise the trousers stick to my legs which I loathe. So that's another argument in favour of silk for me.

Yet again - me too!
ski holidays
You need to shave them
ski holidays
JT, I really get the feeling I'm missing something here....
ski holidays
eng_ch,

I thought we were talking about silk.................and legs.....Laughing
ski holidays
JT, you mean we're into the realms of your imagination ? Are you sure we want to go there? Wink NehNeh
latest report
eng_ch,

Yeah, I was bored..now I am planning Swiss stuff..... see my thread in Trips...any ideas..?

Its that or looking at kit....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
JT, have replied in Trips Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy