Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base Layer Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Just bought a pair of Arc'teryx Minuteman XCR shell pants in EB's sale. They're totally unlined so I'm looking for a high performance three quarter length base layer for low temp use, primarily just to take away the coldness of the XCR, especially when sitting on lifts etc. I tend to run hot so am looking for v.good breathability rather than warmth. Cost not a consideration at this stage.

Have spotted these so far: http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/department/clothing/thermals/products/ICE0052.htm

Any other recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got a load of merino gear coming over from NZ in sept mate.
latest report
 brian
brian
spyderjon, I have exactly those with a pair of Scott xcr unlined shell. They were fine at La Grave in cold temps with a fairly strong wind.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, I have a pair of Icebreaker thermals. I bought small full-length ones, which end up being 3/4 length on me.

I don't tend to wear them as often as an ancient pair of Norwegian Stil ones though. The cut of the Icebreaker ones is pretty basic and the seams could be better placed.

I wouldn't use any other fabric, but might be worth waiting to see if the ones that kiwi1 is getting are better.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm on the phone with Graham now. I'll bring the samples to Cas for you to check out.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Go with the Icebreaker stuff, it's superb. Merino is much better than any of the synthetics I've used. In particular it doesn't stink when you get sweaty.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, extra long would be 3/4 on you wink

kiwi1, that would be great, thanks.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its a pity more peeps don't do a lined pr of pants. I had a pr of Eider Sweep pants but they are just a bit restricting so are up for sale.

I am looking at some Stateside sales that ship to the UK and will probably get some Theta pants and then I will have the same prob and need something to cover the skin

spyderjon,

I use M&S LJ's and I would think Merino is way too warm...especially for you. With that shell you only want something to take away the nip
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use a pair of Odlo 3/4 if it's cold, and a pair of cut down Ron Hills if it's total brass monkeys.

I only picked Odlo 'cos the local shop stock them. No complaints though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT wrote:
Its a pity more peeps don't do a lined pr of pants. I had a pr of Eider Sweep pants but they are just a bit restricting so are up for sale.
I am looking at some Stateside sales that ship to the UK and will probably get some Theta pants and then I will have the same prob and need something to cover the skin
spyderjon, I use M&S LJ's and I would think Merino is way too warm...especially for you. With that shell you only want something to take away the nip

JT, There's certainly some good deals on Theta's in the US at the moment. Yep, all I'm after is something to take away the nip. Are the M&S LJ's breathable?
snow report
 brian
brian
JT, if you sign up for the newsletter at www.rei.com you get a 15% discount off first purchase.

Could've brought a pair back for you as I was in the US last week, I got the theta ar shell for $335. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, brian,

I've found some good deals and am just weighting up whether I need L or XL. I have some friends I could post to so its is just a question of getting them over here. I am not sure when they come this way again. I met them all last week so a bit of forward thinking..and decision making...might have been an idea...Laughing Thanks for the thought..

Just had a look at the LJ's and all mine are Vicose and polyester ( some have a mix of cotton in that as well ) so should be ok.

I have never suffered from the legs getting too warm or sweaty...and wear them baggy....Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, the Arc'teryx size chart on their website is spot on. I've got a large Sidewinder jacket (43" chest) & there's plenty of sleeve length so a L jacket would be spot on for you.

I've also got the large pants (36") waist which are also spot on however as a tall skinny guy you need specify a longer leg as the regular 29/30" leg that I have would be too short for you.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 26-06-07 19:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon,

I can get a large with a 31inch leg..might not be a problem if the pant finishes high over the boot... I'll measure my others, they do ok....thanx..!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, I can get you some Spyder Base layers. 3/4 Length, really comfy, fit like a second skin.
snow report
Spyderman, So if you wear them, can you climb up walls Puzzled
snow report
maggi, Yes, with a rope. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT,
Quote:

I would think Merino is way too warm...especially for you. With that shell you only want something to take away the nip

I don't like synthetic and think merino would be too warm for me too, so I use silk gear from these people: http://www.patra.com/. I've used vests, LJs and inner gloves from Patra for years and find them brilliant. Beware the dark colours running in the wash, though.
snow report
Hurtle, Skinny ladies don't sweat like fat old men . . . loverly(sic) as silk feels, it's not really suitable for the semi-closed environment that modern ski clothing creates by relying on all layers to perform similarly. Fine wool or synthetics are better under modern outerwear.
ski holidays
Masque,
Quote:

Skinny ladies

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing rolling eyes
snow conditions
Hurtle, snap, I've always got on well with the Patra stuff. If it's good enough for people heading up Everest with all their technical gear... The advantage with silk is that it doesn't keep heating when you're indoors, it's also very fine and practically weightless so also ideal under jeans, hardly know they're there. I wear them constantly through the winter here once we hit freezing
snow report
eng_ch, I didn't think it was worth arguing with someone who was so obviously sure he had the definitive answer! wink wink
I do wish, though, that Patra wouldn't send out catalogues quite so often! Otherwise I love 'em.
latest report
Hurtle, I'm in a slightly different situ, of course, as we actually get a winter here Wink
ski holidays
People keep knocking synthetic and praising Icebreaker to the roof. I have two Icebreaker merino tops and one polyester/silver top. The Icebreakers both get smelly in 1-2 days, whereas the polyester/silver manages at least 4-5 days before anything more than slightly "lived-in" gets going.
snow report
GrahamN,
Quote:

at least 4-5 days

Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, I like silk, but not if I'm sweating my rocks off, then it's just as soggy and uncomfortable as cotton. For people who only 'glow' when exercising it's fine. All too many of us lather-up like a Derby winner Confused

edit 4:

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 26-06-07 19:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Masque, Oh dear, what with you imitating a Derby winner and GrahamN only changing his undies every 4-5 days, I'm beginning to feel a little faint. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Hurtle, indeed! Another reason I like the silk - hand wash in the eve, hang over the bath, bone dry by morning
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
Masque, Oh dear, what with you imitating a Derby winner :

In his dreams.

£25,000 for each cover...........

...... and a nail on the door where he can hang his thermals.

Nice work if you can get it. That mobile home will be his after a few days.
snow conditions
spyderjon, if they're anything near as warm as their theta sk pant, you'll be glad their not lined.

whilst I admittedly tend to run hotter than the average person, they were as warm as my previous lined pants (Eider Kerla, iirc).
snow report
supernaut, yep the Minuteman's are virtually the same three layer XCR construction as the Theta's, if anything they're a tad heavier (540 & 630 versus 430 & 630). I tried the Minuteman's for the first time on Sat at MK &, although they felt cold to the skin as soon as I put them on, that feeling went very quickly. And after a few runs I was skiing with the thigh vents half open. What I did notice more with them compared to my old lined pants was the coldness of the poma button (Shocked) which made me think about the coldness of the lift chairs coming through.

I tried on a few different types of base layer leggings today & came to the following conclusions:
1, that I definately didn't like the feel of merino wool, preferring the feel of the synthetic fabrics
2, that even the thinnest Icebreaker 200 merino would be too warm for me

By far the most comfortable, lightest weight & most breathable pair of synthetics I tried were the Patagonia Capilene 2's so I bought a pair of their leggings & a pair of their boxers. The leggings are not 3/4 length so a bit of 'boot height' pruning will be required. The boxers are quite a long legged design so will be good for taking the nip off from lift seats. If my cold weather dog walking tests go ok I'll get a few more pairs of the boxers for daily wear & can then wear the leggins as well for when it's really cold.
snow conditions
eng_ch, And they say women talk a lot about clothes... rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
Hurtle, hey, gotta keep the boys warm wink
ski holidays
spyderjon, Natch! wink wink
snow conditions
spyderjon, So long as you're not waiting for Hurtle to describe her underwear to you in such great detail! wink
ski holidays
maggi, Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Hurtle, sweat doesn't of itself smell of much (other than to drive you girlies wild - and vice versa). It the bacteria living on it that cause the problem. Apparently, silver is a bactericide, so keeps the bugs at bay: no bacteria = no smell. Wasn't at all convinced when I bought the top - but was convinced immediately (one of its early outings was on a 6 day skitour where you carry everything on your back, so can only afford to take one change of clothes). Merino claims something similar, but in my experience doesn't work nearly as well.

Unfortunately though my feet are too much to cope with even for the silver threads in the socks Sad .
snow conditions
GrahamN, I think this might just, possibly, be a tad too much information. rolling eyes
...thinks...there's no stopping these guys when it comes to the nitty gritty ( rolling eyes rolling eyes ) of their underwear...
ski holidays
spyderjon, you've got to keep them cool to keep yer wee wrigglers hale and hearty Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Oh well, my fault for tuning again, I guess. rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy