Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grenoble to.......where is best?

Poster: A snowHead
I have just bought flights to Grenoble for late January for four of us, 2 intermediate's and 2 well experienced skiers, but my problem is deciding where would be best to stay. We will need a lot of mileage on piste and maybe some off piste to occupy us for a whole week. So my Alpine loving community which resort do you think we should aim for? I probably wouldn't book accomodation until a week or two prior to take off because then we can be sure of snow cover.
What we like is lots of piste, nice mountain huts and although I know apres is never as good as The Austrians put on, a little evening life would be good to experience. Your views and opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers, Greg Puzzled wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
northantsred, Either Alpe D'Huez or Les Deux Alpes ought to suit. Both extensive resorts closest to Grenoble airport. Tick all your boxes except I don't think either has many nice mountain huts.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, I think LDA has a couple of really decent huts, Le Diable - and the one at the bottom of the Fée run- Modern and small, I know, but very pleasant, with good food and service. I think the others are OK - but those 2 are my favourites.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
northantsred, Apres is just as good as in Austria - but it depends on what sort of apres you want. there are some bars that have very lively "apres" ski, and then food and bars and discos until around 05.00 each morning??? Very Happy OK, no Jaegertee. Sad

You would not have to wait if you came to LDA as we always have snow (skiing now in case you hadn't noticed). Little Angel However - one word of warning: if you come to LDA, be prepared to possibly join in with any other snowheads who might be present .....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
northantsred, La Plagne is great, although further from Grenoble to drive. You can get transfers to HDA and LDA at the airport for well cheap money but for La Plagne/Paradiski it's better to hire a car. We had a VW Touran, which cost £180 for the week but it allowed us to stop at the supermerkt in Albertville where we stocked up and saved ourselves a fortune on eating out.

La Plaghne is massive in its own right and when you get the Paradiski pass for Les Arcs it opens up loads more apparently. There are some good pubs and restraunts but not too many that it feels like Benidorm but with snow! Stay in Plagne Soleil/Villages if you like it quiet, or Plagne Centre if you want a lot at your disposal. It's a good resort though for beginners too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Serre Chevalier would be my choice - huge terrain and plenty for all standards. Best area to stay is Villeneuve. Nightlife can be fun.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Courchevel 1850, Chamonix and Les Deux Alpes are your best bets.

Book it now. Snow is unlikely to be a problem at these stations in late Jan.

You can view a complete list here:

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Grenoble.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did ADH for a weekend last year, hire car from Grenoble (dont book same company that has an affliation to your airline as you will be waiting ages) hour and a half later of very easy driving up to ADH (great Tour De France climb up to the resort) in resort for late afternoon and evening skiing. Cant wait to do it again in Feb 08.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They all appear to be perfect, thanks so much for your replies. LDA sounds as if it is snow sure? And ADH is also nice and easy to reach .....decisions, decisions, decisions....
easiski, is it mainly hotel or chalet accomodation around LDA?
martski, how was your accomodation?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't bother with ADH. It sucks. LDA is much better. C1850 is the best.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
northantsred, don't listen to Whitegold - he obviously never got off the beginners' areas next to the resort at ADH Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I found plenty to entertain me in ADH, accomodation wasnt that easy to find (as ever for weekend breaks) stayed in fairly costly hotel, but flights and car hire were so cheap it didnt matter.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree with you both, I like both ADH & LDA. In fact so much so that I'm having a week at each next Easter Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
northantsred, I'm with Arno - WG is talking toilet as usual. Both Alpe d'Huez and 2Alpes have good skiing, good mountain restaurants and lively bars.

Courchevel 1850, on the other hand, is ludicrously overpriced and the only apres ski excitement you're likely to encounter is being run over by a tumbleweed.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well at least he likes some resorts in France unlike the whole of Chile which was judged to suck recently. Probably applies to the whole South American continent too.
ski holidays
northantsred, all sorts of accommodation from S/C to 4* hotel - what do you like. I usually recommend Les Lutins B & B right in the centre of town. A bit old fashioned and certainly not posh, but adequate, friendly and in a brilliant position. The last few days Lamobus and Little Tiger have stayed in the Cote Brun, also B & B but a bit posher, and the foot of the slopes and with free wifi apparently! Several Snowheads have apartments to rent, so if you prefer that option then PM me and I'll tell you who they are.

I would personally never go to Courcheval 1850 - I have no interest in meeting russian mafiosos, and I couldn't afford a cup of coffee!!!! Shocked
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
northantsred, Courchevel 1850, on the other hand, is ludicrously overpriced and the only apres ski excitement you're likely to encounter is being run over by a tumbleweed.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
northantsred, We have a couple of chalets available in ADH that you would be very welcome to stay in. Don't leave it too late to book though as availablitly can be limited last minute even in January! Have a look at our website and get in touch if you are interested - we always give special discounts to snowheads! Very Happy
snow report
easiski, katski, thanks for the information. Have looked at both your sites and found them both interesting and informative.

katski, your place looks fantastic but I don't think it would suit me and my friends, as we are all middle aged beer google wearers when let out on our own!

easiski, I may well be in touch sometime in the future if we all agree to visit LDA, you appear to be a great mine of information Very Happy
and you may well be able to improve my very agricultural technique Little Angel !
snow conditions
Colin B wrote:
Agree with you both, I like both ADH & LDA. In fact so much so that I'm having a week at each next Easter Laughing

Me2. Well, not the Easter bit.

easiski The Lutins must be posh. I've stayed there.
latest report
Specialman wrote:
northantsred, La Plagne is great, although further from Grenoble to drive.

Don't forget that Grenoble airport is not that near to Grenoble and not that far from Lyon airport so any resort doable from Lyon is actually better from Grenoble as you are close to the Chambery motorway as well. La Plagne is 2 hours compared to les Deux Alpes which is 1h40 so there is not a lot in it if you are self driving. The road past Moutiers has recently been upgraded too. Not that I would ignore the Isere resorts. la Plagne, alpe d'Huez and les Deux Alpes have glacier skiing so are snow sure... whatdever that means.
snow report
It looks as though ADH is emerging to be hot favourite for our trip. Has anyone one got any recommendations for where to stay, hotels or apartments or even chalets, all comments would be welcome. Would prefer to be close to lifts or ski in and out, and not too far from bars/eateries etc etc.
ski holidays
Ski in/out: Hotel Beausoleil (TOPS/SkiPlan), chalethotel Bel Alpe (Ski Miquel), Altiport chalets (Eurogroup, TOPS, Skiworld), Hotel Escapade (Skiworld), chalets Viking and Robert (First Choice). Plus various apartments and a couple of nice hotels whose names escape me.
snow report
Thanks Lizzard, most useful. Have you skied the resort and if so what *must* we do?
snow report
northantsred, some previous posts - I had same options last year

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21995&highlight=

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20793&highlight=
ski holidays
northantsred, eat at the Petit Creux.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy