Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Ski Tests 07 Reviews

Poster: A snowHead
kiwi1,
I plan to be there on the 29th Aug..is that the day you mean... ? and what is the snow sho...forgive me if i have missed it. edit..sep 29-30 ...!!!

Not having tried them or even seen them..I'd be inclined to want a big footprint in a longish ski so kind of echo fatbob's point... Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks guys. JT and fatbob, The HSFCs FRs in 187 may fit the bill.

Even though the Icelantics are designed to be skied short (I'm a lard and I ski the 168 nomads) you'll be pleased to hear that they have listened to feed back and will be adding extra lengths for the 08/09 season in the Pilgrims, Nomads and Shamans. The lengths will be in the region of 177 to 184cm. They're also looking at adding a new model that park rats will love but that'll have to be a surprise as to what that is.

The event on the 29th and 30th of Sept at MK sno zone is a trade show open to the public where all the brands will be there and you can test the gear. It's the first year its been on and I beleve you'll be able to purchase 08 season gear at that event so may bag yourself a deal.

Thanks again.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went off to see my sister in France on the day after the ski test at Castleford, so didn't get the chance to write one of my witty and irreverent ski test reports, or the more usual sh*tty and irrelevant, but I will say what a good time we had and how well the ski suppliers looked after us again. I am more convinced tha ever that RX8 FIRE is the right thing for me, but I did enjoy the Head Monsters (the green ones). I have for some time felt that Jon needs bigger skis. He probably feels this too as I over-take him on the schuss. (This is definitely the only time I overtake him, or anyone come to that) He is on 152s and is at least 185 tall now. They begin to look like blades on him and blades (especially with poles) is like sandals with socks isn't it.

He ( Jon that is) adored the High Societies and found himself surprisingly and to his delight, going back wards on them at some speed. As Frosty the Starman, ponted out, he went better backwards than Bev and I do forwards. Already negotiating with Spyderjon, on that one as an exam result reward, but he was hoping for a Mercedes. (or was that me?) (I mean, I teach him!)
So, great to meet up with all those snowHead legends, and it aint long to the snow is it. Already a nip in the air.

snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kiwi1,

hmmmm, I'll keep an eye on those dates...thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kiwi1 wrote:
The event on the 29th and 30th of Sept at MK sno zone is a trade show open to the public where all the brands will be there and you can test the gear. It's the first year its been on and I beleve you'll be able to purchase 08 season gear at that event so may bag yourself a deal.

Thanks again.

Interesting, could nicely fill the gap between now and the PSB.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had a great evening at Braehead yesterday, it was nice to put some faces to the names. Thanks again to Admin and the folks from EB. This was the first time I've ever been to a ski test and I don't know much about skis so you'll have to bear with me.
Firstly I am female, 168cm and I ain't thin. I suppose I'm kind of top end intermediate and I like to ski reasonably quickly (usually 'cos I can't stop).

The first ski I tried was the K2 ONE LUV 160
I tried these first because I was convinced these were the skis for me and I did like them. They felt nice and stable, They were easy to turn and they seemed to hold an edge reasonably well. Most importantly I liked the graphics, these were quietly understated, very classy.

Next I tried the BURNIN' LUV 160
I fell in love with these skis. They felt really stable, seemed to turn without you putting in any effort and really held the edge even over some of the little icy patches. I kept them for too long and just didn't want to give them back. The graphics are not nearly as classy as the One Luvs and there was a smidgen of orange there which I really don't like in a ski, but they were exciting where the One Luvs were not.

Then the FISCHER VISION possibly Tempest, didn't find out, oops! Embarassed 150
Maybe these were just too short for me, I heard other people who quite liked them, but they were not for me. They felt fairly flimsy and unstable, they didn't seem to run straight and they didn't hold the edge very well. They seemed to kind of vibrate - chatter - is that what you call it? Graphics were nice, no orange but I was disapointed as my own skis are an earlier model of the Fischer Visions and I've always quite liked them.

And now for something completely different K2 MISSCONDUCT 160
Now I know what people mean when they say that skis are fun. I don't do tricks or anything fancy but I really liked these, they just made you feel happy. Very forgiving,nice graphics and a lovely luminous pink sole which made the snow look all pink too. They felt nice and stable but light and bouncy as well.

Then the SALOMAN JADE 172
These were alright, not bad. They were quite heavy though and while they ticked all the boxes they just weren't as exciting as the Burnin' Luv or as much fun as the Missconducts. They were just ok.

Lastly the FISCHER FIRE RX8 160
Wow, A little bit better than the Burnin' Luvs. They were quite fast, stable and they held an edge like none of the others I tried. I felt that my skiing improved in the 6 or 7 runs I kept them for (Iknow, really naughty, but I loved them). I think they were probably a little too advanced for my level but - hey - I could improve. Down side was the graphics, they were orange. I HATE ORANGE SKIS. But for these skis I would put up with it!

Sadly that was all I had time for. The ski of the test for me was the Fischer fire 8 though I certainly wouldn't say no to the Burnin' Luvs. Next time i won't spend too much time on the skis I like and there will be more time to test more skis!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 16-08-07 16:55; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 brian
brian
ickabodblue wrote:
so you'll have to bare with me.

Now there's an invitation wink

The Fischers are usually referred to as RX-8 btw.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian, I was never any good at spelling! Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 brian
brian
Here's my list:

I'm 6'3", 14 st and a fast, aggressive but not especially tidy skier.

Salomon X-Wing Tornado 178 - these have big wide shovels but a fairly narrow waist (by modern standards). Pretty turny and handled the indoor hardpack fine. I quite liked them, nice shape for general piste with occassional excursion type skiing.

Scott Mission 183 - fine and cruisy in big turns, they didn't like being asked to turn short at all and were very keen to stay on their edge. Felt pretty beefy, I think I'd enjoy skiing these too.

Fischer RX-8 175 - nippy turny things. Good fun but more stiffness and rebound would be nice. Oh and they're mingingly orange ...

Voelkl Bridge 177 - these are 92mm wide so hopes weren't high indoors but actually really enjoyed them. They're a "bridge" between park and off-piste, geddit ? I'm not much of a park rat but I think they'd be great in all snow. Horrible graphics though. Would definitely be happy renting these (in La Grave, for instance Very Happy ) but would look for the next length up.

K2 Public Enemy 179 (I think) - similar but not as good as the voelkls. Teenage graphic rolling eyes

Head Jon Olsson pro 178 - park skis, very light and bindings were way forward but they skied ok. Give you something to look at on the way up the tow wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian,

You'd like the Mantras then...not at all planky for 94mm and feel less bulky than the Outlaw at 88mm. My ski find of the year last year, along with the Movement Spark at 82mm, IIRC and in 2nd place. ....... which you can find in the shop just at the bottom of your home run.. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski test review from Braehead first of all a big thanks to admin and Ellis Brigham for organising it all . The enthusiasm of all the techs was great , cold work for them as well. It was great to meet some snowheads and put some names to faces (and discover I had met one last year at Braehead)

Next a health warning for people reading this review and thinking of buying skis and basing it in part on this review.

I am not very sensitive to ski performance and it often takes me a couple of days to get used to and like a pair of skis. I will often like or dislike a ski if it is like the ski I have most recently skied. I don’t really know how to extrapolate performance from skiing a short gently pitched indoor slope to the varied conditions that you get on the slopes. I have most recently been skiing on Volkl race tigers.

Anyway the skis I was on :

K2 Apache Crossfire

This was the first ski I was on so it was me getting back on skis .Dark grey with understated graphics it was a pretty solid ski that edged well with a narrow waist it was easy to turn good ski.

Scott Mission

Well known to snowheads its been talked about many times It edged well for a wide ski even for me who isn’t really used to this type of ski. I found short turns a wee bit harder and don’t think I would really enjoy them in bumps with their reputation in softer snow I can see why they are popular.

Salomon X Wing Tornado
From a company that gets a lot of criticism there did not seem much wrong with this ski turned and edged well happier on wider turns I thought they were a good ski.

Scott Neo
I don’t know if it was the graphics that put me off but I did not find a lot of life in this ski, maybe just the way I rode them, they turned and edged reasonably well.

K2 Apache Recon
I really enjoyed skiing this ski it turned very easily edged well and had a bit of life in the rather constrained environment of an indoor slope this was the one I enjoyed most.

Scott Punisher
The twin tipped version of the Mission it showed me that my musing are likely to be somewhat unreliable I found it an easier ski to turn in short turns maybe the apparent difference in length due to the tips or possibly I was skiing slightly differently. Nice ski anyway.

Volkl AC30
Seemed like another pretty good ski from a well known company, I suspect if I was to put these on blind with the salomons and the crossfires I would not be able to spot the difference at Braehead.

K2 Fujative
I finished off with these and probably spent more time on them than others. A twin tip designed for jibbers and the park. It demonstrated that I am not in its target market I found them difficult to edge and uninvolving probably a fine ski for those who can pull of tricks but for my rather more sedate skiing it seemed to offer a lot less than most others.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT wrote:
brian, You'd like the Mantras then......)

Puzzled. Brian skied the new Bridge which is the replacement for the Karma in Volkl's V-Ski Freestyle range. The Mantra is a different ski in their V-Ski Freeride range.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks to Admin and EB

Here goes:

I’m 6’ 1” more than 19 stones and an intermediate:

Fischer RX8 170: my favourite short radius piste ski it was good in short turns and softer in flex than most I tried

Nordica Hotrod Nitrous 178: I liked this ski and it liked to ski medium/long radius turns best. Was not great for short turns for me.

Volkl AC30 170: Seemed to like wider arc turn and going fast but maybe a little stiff for me.

Scott Mission 183: This was the longest (and widest full length) ski I have skied since I started skiing again 18 months ago ( I used to ski 185 in the early 90’s and tried 100mm+ Icelantic boards at the EoSB). They were very cruisey - big wide sweeping turns. I tried shorter turns and the ski would do it but I don’t think it’s what the ski is made for.

K2 Apache Recon 167: Tried these after the 183 Missions and of course they were better at the slow speeds and the confines of Xscape but they were favourite ski of all. They are so similar to my own skis that I won’t be buying them but if I wanted an all mountain ski it would be the Recon’s (probably in 174)
I really wanted to try the Outlaws to compare to the Missions but they didn’t have any.

Salomon X-wing Tornado 178: The first ski I tried - to warm up on- strange choice as I asked the ski tech for a piste ski to get a few runs on first. However I re-tested them later and really did like them very similar to the Recon’s in a longer lenth

K2 Crossfire: They should have been better than the Recons indoors but didn’t like them as much – maybe down to the tuning but the ski I liked least that I tested (apart from the X-wing first time round)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd like to echo thanks to Admin and the EB staff.

I'm a beginner but any excuse for some more skiing.

I'm 6 foot tall and 98 kg. I am unable to find my notes but from memory.

K2 stryker these were the first skis I tried and it was really odd to be skiing again. I was neither up nor down with these, not too hard work.

Salomon X wing 6 these were the skis that I had the strongest reaction to all night. Dreadful for me, flimsy and not confidence inspiring at all.

In contrast Fischer RX8 Fire or whatever I tried these in 175 and loved them. They just want to go faster and are easy to turn and stable.

Scott Missions 178 I had never been on a ski as big as this and they felt a bit much for me.

Scott CX (I think black and blue) again not bad more stable than the Salomons but not as good as the Fischers.

The last skis i tried were the Volkl AC30 and I liked them but they were noticably stiffer and needed more work. I could imagine that they would be tiring if worn all day.

It was good to meet other snowHead s and hope that I can make it to a bash sometime.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="

Lastly the FISCHER FIRE RX8 160
Wow, A little bit better than the Burnin' Luvs. They were quite fast, stable and they held an edge like none of the others I tried. I felt that my skiing improved in the 6 or 7 runs I kept them for (Iknow, really naughty, but I loved them). I think they were probably a little too advanced for my level but - hey - I could improve. Down side was the graphics, they were orange. I HATE ORANGE SKIS. But for these skis I would put up with it!

I own an older model of these and think they are fantastic. can't think why you would say they are too advanced when you say you felt your skiing improved. IMHO as some one who would describe themselves as a goodish intermediate they are a great ski. normally good deals to be had on them from ski bilek. buy them and enjoy (remember when you ski you normally have shades on so you don't need to worry about the orange too much Cool
latest report
spyderjon,

I am not suggesting it is the same ski..just that it doesn't ski big....

The Outlaw is a big chunky ski which feels big underfoot, for example, the Mantra is wider but skis like a smaller ski. Not as planky as I described it.

If Volkl have produced another ski of the same ilk... biggish dimensions but small feel..then they are simliar in that respect and users who like one, might like the other. And knowing how brian skis, I think he will appreciate that. He has a finesse technique rather that over powers skis, IMV. I hope he doesn't mind me saying that.
latest report
 brian
brian
JT, if I knew what you meant I could decide whether to be offended or not Laughing

Should it be ... "a finesse technique rather than over powers skis" ?

Biggish dimensions but small feel is a good description. Generally I think Voelkl have always made great skis.
snow report
dan100, Thanks, I was wondering if there was much difference between this years and last years. I think I might just take your advice! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
brian,

yes... I really should spell/grammar check but then if I did that, I'd spend all day here..!!!

I'd have to agree with the idea that Volkl are generally good skis... and the Mantra, for example, is not an un-substantial ski by any means but do not feel like boats of the feet..which I quite like, as I place the ski where I want rather than just ride it.. a different emphasis in technique IMV..

Of course, sometimes you are just happy for the ride..!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
JT sorry matey, my confusion.

For 07/08 Volkl freeride skis (except the Mantra & Katana) will feature a dual-layer wood core, in which the bottom layer uses a lighter wood to reduce weight. All models have also been beefed up for durability.
ski holidays
spyderjon, I can't wait for my Bridge.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, No probs. I keep expecting you to change your U/N... Laughing

Interesting if they are lighter AND beefier... I'll keep a look out..
latest report
Well finally got acc ess to a PC while on holiday. Made sure the holiday had me and family in Glasgow for the Braehead ski test. I'm 95kg, 185cm and a boarder for 15 years who had never been on a modern ski, except for learning to telemark on a beat up pair of atomics last year.

Salomon Thruster
What silly names and graphics (K2 bow your head in shame) these modern skis have. Despite that i enjoyed the test. Starting with this MOR ski. Dead easy to turn on but a little front end clatter. Soon rectifed by a tip to roll the big toe from Graham.

Scott Punisher
A park ski, which kind of felt akin to my snowboards in that it curved up at both ends. I rode the 172 ski and it was brilliantly smooth and easy to incept turns. An all day ski. I tried a 172 and the 182. The 182 felt more like my old skis of your. Needed a bit of speed to get it too turn.

K2 Hellbent.
There were ridicolously wide for the hard packed snow of Braehead but I gave these monstors a go. Not for indoor use really. The lift track on the other side of the hall appeared far to quickly if i got speed up and tried to turn them. Clydesdale carhorse of a ski.

Armada T-Hall.
Again some spoony front ends to these, like the hellbents adverse camber. Worked best at a decent speed.

Fisher RX8 165.
Dancing skis. razor sharp, 10/10 slamming in tight turns and fine to carve. A revelation

Salomon Tornado X-wing.
Silly, silly name but it must resonate with the Star Wars generation. However a great ski. 170 this time and it made the difference over the Fisher 165s. An autobahn cruiser for fast long languid turns. Very very good.

Fisher RX8 175.
I thought I'd try a bigger ski. The extra tail on it was noticble so not quite as dancable as its smaller brother. Good though

Volkl AC30 163
Someone recommeded these as similar to the salomon tornados. However, while they turn and do the business they are rather lifeless. Do what you want but not dancers.

Thanks to the Ellis Brigham mechanics and staff. And to Graham. A superb way to spend a summers evening

Cheers
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again for organising this, it was great fun and as a bonus i got a free ski bag from EB at the end of the night, no idea why Very Happy

I am 5'9" and heavier than I would like to be Embarassed, I am also fairly strong due to cycling a lot. I am rubbish at describing why I like skis but I do know when I find one I like. i didn't dislike any of the skis and would be quite happy to ski any of them if given them on holiday.

Burning Luv 167cm
felt easy to ski but nothing special

K2 Crossfire (167cm ?)
felt much stiffer than the burning Luv, preferred it a bit as I think I would have been able to go faster on it out on the mountain.

Salomon Jade (170cm?)
Looks horrible but much better to ski on that I thought. Easy to ski felt quite stable would probably be good all mountain skis.

Nordica Eliminator 170cm
Tried these because I loved them last year and I still loved them this year, felt very stable like I could go fast but still easy to move around.

Nordica Doberman spitfire 170cm
The EB guy said if I like the Eliminators to try these and I LOVED these, they made me feel like a better skier and my friends said I looked like i was using the edges much more than normal. Very easy to turn but don't know what they would be like in ungroomed snow or any sort of crud or powder but would imagine they would be great fun on the pistes or on ice.

Nordica Gransport 170cm
My boyfriends favourite ski, I really liked it as well and think it would be a lot better out on the mountain, would have liked to try it again next to the Eliminators, not sure which I preferred

Fischer RX8 165cm
I tried these the other week after not skiing for 4 months and found them a bit much for me in the snowdome but i liked them a lot more tonight, not as much fun as the dobermans though and probably preferred the other Nordicas to them as well.

K2 Misdemeanors 167cm
really fun as well, good all mountain skis but a bit wasted on me as I need to get better at going forward before I start going backwards.

Salomon X-wing (Tornado I think 170cm)
I asked the Eb guy for the ski most like the Dobermans and he gave me these, they were ok but not as much fun as the Dobermans.

They also recommended Salomon Aero which I never got to try so would be interested to see what anyone else thought of them
snow report
Interesting reviews here! I'm planning to buy myself second-hand Seth Pistols from my buddy. Any experiences?

Check out what we wrote about 07/08 Völk skis (Gotama, Mantra, Tigershark, etc.) in http://homeboyski.com/category/review-equipment/
snow report
I am a 6 ft big guy and bought my 170 Magnums in Nov/07. They are great in most conditions. I have not tried any true powder over 5-6 inches since we have not had any in the east. I have used them in heavy snow up to about 6 inches, eastern boiler plate , very heavy wet crud, soft on piste groomed snow and a little off piste. This ski handles it all, seems to be very good in short, medium and long turns. Edges very well and is great when you want to really crank out nice carving turns where you really get the the ski on edge. I do think this is a ski for heavier skiers as it is fairly stiff.
snow conditions
Feedback from Les Get April 08. Pierre at Vermont always lines up a few pairs for me to play with - only got to try 2 this year, but here's the verdict anyway.

Vital statistics: height 5'10"; weight 85kg; skiing style - ambitious on-piste, ham-fisted off-piste.

Dynastar 8000 (172)
Took these based on other snowHead's enthusiasm - just goes to show how you have to match the ski to the user. OK I only had 6" or so of fresh snow to play in but I didn't feel these boys gave me any advantage over regular piste skis. Felt somehow sluggish and heavy. On-piste, they were just not at home and didn't want to play. 18m turn radius, which is much longer than I'm used to - maybe I just need the right conditions. Pierre had a longer pair set aside in case of a big dump, but I wouldn't be rushing to try them again.

K2 Apache Crossfire (167) with Marker 12.0 Piston Control binding
Took these, didn't look back the rest of the week. Nicely stiff on groomed piste but easy through bumps, confidant edge-grip although not as aggressive as the SX-10s I used to use, nor as quick edge-to-edge. Still, great to carve without insisting on a turn every 15m, quicker turning in piste-edge powder and a better all-rounder than the Dynastars for sure. Not the ski for all time, but the best this week.

Ski I wish I'd tried - Elan Magfire 14. Look so cool, interesting hybrid geometry, and I keep hearing good things about them. Ah well, next year...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy