Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a backpack

Poster: A snowHead
I don't want to start another bag carrying on lifts debate nor a bag size one either.

However, I'm looking for reccomendations for a backpack that I can use on days where I'm carrying more than normal i.e. going off-piste. Basically this means 15-20l capacity with the ability to strap a board securely onto it. If possible a loop for carrying an axe might be handy but for where I go that's not essential. So far I've found the Demon option, however I'm a bit concerened about how secure the board straps may be linky . Has anyone used this sack or have any other ideas? I've tried emailing barginboards to ask but have had no reply as yet and I'm trying to get it a a birthday present.

Cheers.

Edit: fixed the link, had to use tinyurl.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 6-06-07 9:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swirly, that link still don't work for me.

Have you looked here?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mosha Marc, sorry its
Code:
http://bargainboards.co.uk/P/Demon-OPTION-Backpack(2965).aspx

The (2965) throws the forum software.

Good link btw, thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dakine Heli pro.

I sell the Demon pack during the season and not the Heli Pro. The demon is a great pack but not in the same league as the Heli pro.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I quite like the look of this: http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/ortovox/TopRider.htm

Might get Mr L one for his birthday.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, might be in my OH's too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was out looking for a for a pack to schlep around on the bike with and came across the CAT(erpillar) Excavator backpack in Macro for 15£+vat . . . plain black and seriously well stitched together, industrial grade zips, good straps and waist-belt, very few bells and whistles but it does have ski pockets and a cross strap that will hold a board and it's the right size for a 'carry-on'. I know it's probably not what Swirly's looking for, but it's a cracking day sack for the less demanding skier/boarder. I'll take pics l8r and if anyone wants one I'll pick it up and deliver at the BBQ.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I invested in a Mammut Respect 18L - loads of space, internal pockets and straps for everything on the outside. Plus it's low profile and comfy to wear.

Cotswold sell them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly, .... I have got a season old BCA STASH which is surplus to requirements, since I invested in an ABS Pack. This is obviously the 'Ski' version of the pack, the BCA Stash 'Rider' being designed to carry a board. I am not sure what the difference is, but you can enquire from Facewest (Remember to access facewest site from snowheads homepage). They are a superb pack.

.... remember I am buying you a jigsaw for Christmas so you can sort that board out properly ...... thus the 'Ski' version will suit okay ... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BernardC, that's ok I'm getting you some superglue so you can stick your skis together NehNeh

That's a nice looking pack but it's a bit big: 35l is big enough to climb the North face of the Eiger in winter! I know we took a while in VT but even that wasn't on that scale! In fact I spent a month in the dolomites a couple of years ago camping and carried everything in a 40l bag.

5stitches, looks good thanks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BernardC,

Have you mastered the art of flying with your ABS pack. When this was discussed last winter I emailed BA to find out what their policy was and the answer seemed to be that they couldn't answer the question despite providing a link to CAA guidelines. (Am I the only person to find BA customer services the least useful customer "serving" department ever? Their response to continuous complaints about"Fast bag drop" was simply to drop the word "fast" from the signage rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swirly, .... Razz

The BCA Pack compresses well and is neat, but it is fairly big in comparison to a 15L. Anyway, its free to a good home (P&P and beer excluded) - I will stick it on Buy Sell Exchange when I get time.

fatbob, ..... I have 'flown' with it a few times last season - mainly off icy couloirs &once in a carpark ... Toofy Grin (Just to test its landing capabilities you understand Toofy Grin )

It's a dilemma and airlines really don't want to know about ABS Packs. Everyone I know that has an ABS pack and has travelled by air, has had major problems. I just avoid the hassle and tend to leave mine in France, or the easiest is to travel without the gas cannister and trigger toggle, then purchase a set in resort, or have one sent to my accommodation. It is fairly easy to buy them in most countries worldwide and they cost about 45 euro or 40 or so dollars. (DON'T ever air travel with the trigger toggle - there is a 9mm pistol cartridge inside it!)

Airline Customer Services - fatbob, you obviously haven't heard that the Oxford dictionary definition,"..... performs work for customers, or supplies public need - assistance or beneficial act", is being shortened to save paper and changed to the more modern interpretation, "Computer says NO" ...... Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BernardC,

The IATA rules seem fairly clear http://www.abssystem.com/abs-Dateien/main-Dateien/downloads/IATA2003.pdf allowed as checked-in or carry on baggage suitably disabled, but my request to BA clearly wasn't a question they were prepared to answer. Is the manufacturers claim that most Euro airlines allow them simply marketing bull doo-doo then? I'm very interested in the idea but really don't want to have to buy a trigger every trip I make let alone waste the time on say a 3 day weekend tracking down a store that might sell them - it would be easier to hire .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, ... The regulations are very clear on that pdf, but dated 2003, it precedes the more recent and stringent regulations, or interpretation of same. It does also state the approval of individual operator must be obtained.

Does anyone know if these regulations been superceeded?

I will check with the manufacturer of my pack.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
P. S to above.....

IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations 2007 - Provisions for dangerous goods carried by passengers or crew

In respect of Avalanche Rescue backpacks, the regulations are exactly the same as the 2003 version. Approval of the Operator is where the problem rests. The passenger is advised to inform the Operator 14 days in advance of travel and bring a copy of the IATA Regulations with them to Check-in !!! This is where the problems arise and where all of my friends had difficulties. It very much depends on what staff are on duty and their attitude on the day. fatbob, you rightly point out that Customer Services are really not services anymore and with modern on-line booking systems there are really no facilities for advising the Operator of the intention to carry say and ABS pack.

Purely for research, I must check with my normal Operator to see what their policy is.

Good topic - perhaps this should be a seperate thread? It will become more relevant I imagine as more people use these packs.

Swirly, sorry for drifting off-topic. Have you gotten a backpack yet...?
snow report
BernardC, This is snowheads I expect nothing less than a complete diversion (and it is slightly relevant).

No I haven't found one yet, bargainboards never got back to me about the option although as that doesn't have room for carring an axe I have to replace it in a couple of seasons and everything else looks a bit expensive to ask for as a birthday present (Monday 25th if anyone's feeling generous wink ). I do like the look of your one despite the size but it doesn't seem convertable without lots of cutting and stitching. However, if noone else wants it then the price seems fair although I have almost as many backpacks as Imelda Marcos has shoes!
ski holidays
kiwi1, any thoughts on the heli-pro 2?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy