Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NZ or CHile?

Poster: A snowHead
So, on the topic of my recent CHile post, I'd been reading around and other recommended NZ.
Ao around the July/August time of year would it be better to go to NZ or Chile?
Am travelling alone so looking for places where I either stay in a hostel so it's easy to meet people or something with organised groups.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/program_new-zealand_summer-07.html worth looking at? I'm booked on the trip and it looks like it's going to be a good one. As to which is better? Depends on the snow conditions in a given season I suppose, neither country has the resort development that we have in Europe (no bad thing perhaps), and both offer impressive and different skiing from Europe so if you have the choice go where the conditions are best.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sadly I only have 14 days and I was only hoping to ski for 7 of those so I could get some other stuff done. Looks a good course though.
I'm thinking it's gonna have to be a DIY job with accommodation in a hostel so that some other randoms are about.
I guess it's likely to be busier in NZ although Chile's marginally quicker to get to?!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I guess it's likely to be busier in NZ although Chile's marginally quicker to get to?!

Would think so. Once the weekend crowd from Santiago had left Valle Nevado was fairly quiet when were there, which was September. Santiago probably marginally quicker to get to but a ballache for good flight times IIRC. Very impressive descent into Chile across the Andes though if the weather is clear. Make sure you get a window seat on the right hand side of the plane
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Argentina?

Not been there myself. It's just most skiers usually speak of Argentina and Chili in the same sentance.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I heard it was more slushy in NZ cos of the higher temperatures?
So,
So,
how many hours to fly to Chile and what other touristy stuff could I do for a week?
how many hours to fly to NZ and what other touristy stuff could I do for a week?

more people in the 25-35 age group in NZ I imagine?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did a season in NZ (2001) and spent two weeks skiing in Argentina (2005).
From my experience south america has bigger mountains / better snow / much foxier looking girls & is also way cheaper.

But having said that New Zealand is a great place - especially the club fields. And is probably easier to get around and meet other english speakers.

Either way you cant lose !

Doug.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
what's club fields?
what about wanaka (nice name Wink )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Best spots in NZ are probably Wanaka / QTown or Methven.

As for club fields... Imagine a big mountain with 3 rope tows powered by tractor engines.

http://www.craigieburn.co.nz/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Both are an equal pain in the *** to get to.

Both need deep pockets.

Both have only tiny resorts with a handful of lifts.

Both have good offpiste.

Both carry top bragging rights at the bar.

Either is fine.

But Chile just edges it, as NZ is too much like Britain.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
but if you combine it with a bit of travel and touristy stuff?
I agree just from the skiing point of view it would be a waste but there's plenty of other places to go in a 2 week holiday. You might even only end up skiing for a few days just as a laugh!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It boils down on how comfortable you're dealing with non-English language and culture.

If you thrive on stuff you have no idea of and wants an adventure, I'd say go to Chili. But if you start getting goose bumps thinking about dealing with different customs and talking with sign language, you may not enjoy Chili as much as NZ.

In the end, skiing may not be the main thing you'll get out of the trip, aside from the obvious bragging right.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go to Australia. Except for the two small resorts in Tasmania, every resort on the mainland has metres of snow and all lifts are running. Try the big resorts like Mt Hotham, Falls Creek, Perisher or Thredbo.

Mt Buller also has good snow and 25 lifts operating, but it's less than 3 three hours from Melbourne (population 4 million) so it's way too crowded with day trippers who have taken a day off work.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GordonFreeman, Chile is having a fantastic snowfall at the moment and I would strongly recommend you go there. I would recommend you start in the Three Valleys - La Parva/Valle Nevado/El Colorado-Farellones which are about 90 mins drive out of Santiago. You can stay cheaply in
http://www.goskichile.com/farellones.htm and there is transport to La Parva just up the road. From here you have a vast terrain to explore on and off piste. August/September are really quiet as schools have started and you will find the international racing teams in summer training which is fun to see. The resort staff are speaking much more English in the last 5 years. Getting there is the expensive part. Santiago is a lovely city - lots to see if you are interested in South American culture. Very good nightlife. A night at the horse races is great fun. I have always felt safe in Chile.
You can also do a trip to a vineyard from Santiago or visit the Atacama desert. Maybe combine Chile with Peru and go to Machu Pichu. Another suggestion is Portillo - www.skiportillo.com who have cheap accommodation and transport from the airport. If you need any info let me know as I have been there seven times.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm going to be in Chile mid august. Going to try and hit all three valeys. Is it worth the effort to rent a 4x4 and drive from Santiago? Did you have any problems getting around? We are staying in Los Farellones.
snow report
Quite easy to get a cheap minibus/taxi transfer to get you around. Drive up to Valle Nevado is quite hair raising, I preferred to let someone else have the stress of it
snow conditions
some other threads

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26224&highlight=

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24971&highlight=
latest report
I hear that there are no trees in New Zealands resorts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy