Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your test feedback counts.

Poster: A snowHead
It does for the smaller companies anyway.

Icelantic have listened to the feed back you gave me at the EoSB along with US tests. Many of you loved the Pilgrim and the Nomad at the EoSB bash. I was told by more than 1 snowhead that the Nomad was the best ski thay had skied.

This is a rundown of the skis that Icelantic have done in the companies short time and the changes are all due to skiers feedback so thanks. It makes the brands I distribute VERY exciting.

Season1 2005/2006
The scout 143.
Season2 2006/2007
Scout 143
Pilgrim 151
Nomad 156
Shaman 161 (2006 ISPO winter hardgood award winner)
Season3 2007/2008 These are the skis that were at the EoSB and will be at the summer tests.
Scout 143
Scout SFT 143
Pilgrim 151 and 169
Nomad 156 and 168
Shaman 161 and 173

Now heres the exciting stuff. I'm not small by any stretch of the imagination, OK thats not exciting. At 17 stone and 6 foot I find the Pilgrim 169 and Nomad 168 perfect skis. They're designed to be skied short and are VERY stable even at those lengths at speed.
But after your feedback and feedback in the US, for the 09 season there will be a nice surprize for those who loved the skis but just couldn't get there heads around the shorter lengths.
The Pilgrim, Nomad and Shaman will get an extra legth in the range in the late 170s and early 180s. And there is also going to be a new addition for the pure park rats but I'll save that for later.

Thanks for all your feed back. Icelantic listened. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kiwi1, I am interested to know why the skis are designed to be skied short?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The company started when a load of local skiers had noted loads of great tree runs but the trees too close together to use a longer ski thus the the scout was born but when they created the scout they realised that this ski was not only great in the trees but very good on-piste, off piste and having a blast all over and key was that is was very easy to ski.

It was interesting from feed back that a lot peeps said they liked a longer ski so that could get further back on the skis or they were not good enough to keep their weight forward or central over the ski.

The concept behind the company is that surface area is king. The skis are short and wide so they float, they have good side cuts so carve well and are torsionally stiff so hold an edge very well and are stable.

They are a very easy skis to ski and are able to be skied by anyone although the harder they are pushed the better they perform.

chris, best thing to do is try them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kiwi1

One of the things to consider is the testosterone element - skigods walking around with a massive set of skis and everyone admiring the length and girth Toofy Grin and being a bit envious. Personally I think they're onto a winner, they've found a niche and once people become used to seeing them and perhaps seeing how easy they are to ski then they'll give it a whirl themselves. It wouldn't hurt if they had a bit of sponsorship money to throw at a well known skier.

Cheers

BB
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loved that post bucking bronco, At the moment I sponsor 5 skiers and one of them who skis the pilgrims has just made it into the england development squad. I agree they need to up the profile but like my company we are young and don't have a lot of cash to spend on skiers but what we are, are manufacturers and distributors who truely beleive in the skis and know that most people who try them love them.

The best result I had was a member of the winning team of the Derby de la Meije (who normally skis a 196cm big mountain beast of a ski) tested the nomads in Val Thorens. Before he took them out I told him just have a blast. He returned with a massive grin and claimed "thats not just a fun ski, thats a serious high performace ski"
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kiwi1, thanks for that. Have you got anyone selling them here in Serre Chevalier so that I can give them a try?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chris, I couldn't even find any Elan;'s to try in SC!!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chris wrote:
kiwi1, thanks for that. Have you got anyone selling them here in Serre Chevalier so that I can give them a try?

Sorry mate no. The closest I have is a test centre in Val Thorens (ski tecnic) They will have the full range to test in Nov.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kiwi1
Looking forward to testing your skis on Saturday.
Do you have one ski that could handle ice,moguls & powder ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shades, Tough call mate. All of the skis I distribute can handle all of what you've asked but like true all mountain skis, I don't have the best bump ski or the best ice holding ski. I may arguably have the best powder ski in the shaman. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kiwi1
Moguls & powder are areas I'd definately like to improve on this winter,as I'm hopeless at both!
I'd love to give tree skiing a go too,so it'll be fun trying out your "short" skis.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kiwi1, are these set up with demo bindings? Any word on combining these with consumer-grade Vist bindings?

Particularly interested feedback on the plates with raised toe blocks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, The shorter Icelantics are set up with VIST demo bindings but the longer lengths and the High Society skis have speed lock Pro or speed lock race plates on them. When Spyderjon helped me mount them I used the speed lock plates on the longer lengths so I could demo the VIST consumer bindings also.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kiwi1, Looking forward to trying them at MK.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex wrote:
kiwi1, are these set up with demo bindings? Any word on combining these with consumer-grade Vist bindings?
Particularly interested feedback on the plates with raised toe blocks.

Toe blocks are something I'm about to start playing around with over the summer so I can match the delta angle of the VIST's (+5mm at the heel) to my Atomic (+2mm at the heel) set-up. My plan is to use 3mm longer locking pins on the toe piece (they're easily removable) combined with a 3mm shim between the toe piece & the speedlock plate. I'll let you know how it goes.
snow conditions
spyderjon, What is the difference between toe and heel on the Step plates ?
snow conditions
rjs, The X Step is +2mm at the toe & the Step Context is either +3mm or +4mm at the toe depending on the model.
http://www.vist.jp/html/en/products_plates.php?p=8#sub1
http://www.vist.jp/html/en/products_plates.php?p=9#sub1
ski holidays
spyderjon, I made some toe blocks last year when I swapped from S914s to S916s, but didn't use them since I couldn't feel any difference with a 4mm change.

I got the plastic here. Pick a thickness and they will cut it to size.
ski holidays
Skiied the 168 Nomad at MK today, was my faverate ski of the day snowHead
Was a bit worryed at the begining as to it being a bit on the short side, but after talking about it afterwards im pritty much convinced by it.

Only question now is going to be how easy it will be to use the bindings from my broken SL9s on them. (oh and finding the money to pay for them...) Cant wait to get out to Canada and get some powder!
snow conditions
Thanks to all involved I had a great day.

Having relatively little skiing experence i did wonder how much use i would get out of a day like this. (like putting a learner driver in a F1 car).

but i like to mess around in any sport that i do, so i am rapidly getting into freeride/park/powder, but didnt want to lose piste skiing.

so:

K2 Public Enemy
It was an obivous first choice, it is meant to be an all round ski capable of doing it all, and un-surprisingly thats exactly what it did. Capable in virtually every way, but nothing special, nothing earth statteringly great about them.

SAL 1080
next up was a slightly more park based ski, this lost some the of the width and length of the the PE's, which made them great fun in the snow dome. Light fast almost twitchy skis that had a little better balance in the air than the PE's. i enjoyed these, but they are really only for the parks and larking around, i dont think they would cope with deeper/steeper snow.

Volkl Bridge
This went the other way from the PE, more of a big mountain ski, wider, longer and heavy (felt very heavy after the 1080s). the turning was ok for a ski that big. In the air they felt a lot harder work than the PE or 1080s, the balance just wasnt there and the landing was heavy.

Scot Punisher
My mate recommended these to me and said they were better than the PEs. so i had a go, and little more lively than the PEs they felt a little more like the 1080s but similar dimensions to the K2 so should handle powder well. overal these took the 'most like to buy of the day so far' award.

K2 Silencer
These were the cheaper alternative to the PEs, and as i am on a budget i felt these were important to try. to me they felt very similar to the PEs, and if i was to buy a K2 these would be it. but the punisher was a better ski than either K2.

K2 Seth
Just for fun i thought i would try the seths to feel a real powder ski (just to get my eye in) and the first impression is just shear size and weight, big skiies! but i was surprised, they seems to handle better/the same as the Bridges which for a bigger ski is impressive.

High Society FR 177
Another ski from the PE/Punisher style of all rounder Free ride ski. all i can say is these were the best skis of the day for me, they were as close to what i was looking as i could find, very impressive piste skiing with light and balanced in air performance. Tired skiing backwards on most of the twin tips, but these felt most natural (apart from some center mounted i tried later).

Icelantic Scout
After talking to the guy (didnt get his name) with the FRs he suggested the Icelantic Nomads as something to try, but they were out, so for fun he gave me the Scouts. Interesting is all i will say, almost blades, but over 100mm waist. Laughing

Icelantic Nomad
Finally got the nomads of my mate who has fallen in love with them. Interesting ski, relatively short for a powder ski, and very stiff. turned well, and pushing them hard helped. enjoyable, but not really what i was looking for, too specialized.

Icelantic Pilgrim
the last ski of the day was the pilgrim an lovely little park ski, first time out i had the bindings in FR position as thats how i would ski with them. felt like the 1080s in the balance and light feel, but didnt have that twichiness (which was nice) best park ski of the day imo. after about 10-20mins of playing with them i took them back and the rep refused to take them back, i had to go out again with the bindings set in the center as i had been seen skiing on them and thought center mounted would suit me, im not gonna argue with a man telling to ski more (and he was bigger than me).

Icelantic Pilgrim Center mounted binding
This first center mounted ski (well till that morning i hadnt skied a twin tip), it felt a little odd in the corners with such long tails. but then i got them in the air. and omg thats what those skies were for, and they loved flying. the balance and landing felt more natural than any other ski of the day, just made it easy. on my second time down with them i did a little 180 to half cab on one the the rain ramps. and third run tried a 360.... ate snow hard snowHead but loved it.

But a Great day, i learnt alot about skis, i really started to get a feel for the differences in shape, size and length.

IF i had enough money for two pairs of skis then it would be the Nomads for Powder/carving/off piste and the Pilgrim for park and messing.

But saddly thats not an option, i only ski 1-2 weeks a year and so cant justify spending that much. so i think the HS FR are the skis for me. they could do all that the two Icelantic skis (maybe not as well) and i think would be better on piste than both.

Thanks
snow report
OK, I did at least 3 runs on tested skis, after doing a few ruins on my own Missions. I was looking for a ski that would compliment them.

Fisher RX8: 165. Solid and heavy ski. Performed well. I thought my old legs might pack up after a day skiing with them, though. I though they'd need aggressive skiing to work well.

Fisher RX6: 165. Just a little more yield than the RX8. I felt I could ski all day on any piste on them, and feel confident, even on steep icy stuff. If I go for a purely on-piste ski the RX6 may be the one.

Titicaca Embrums 3000 173. You have to be careful about taking these out; you might want to take them to bed. They were incredibly cheerful skis to be out in soft snow at the ESOB. I wondered there if they would hold an edge, I found out at MK that they did. If I did not already have the Missions, I would have been tempted to buy.

High Society 178(?). Felt very like the Missions (which I am very happy with) at MK - though I think they are a little heavier, and perhaps more rigid along their length. I would guess you could ski the mountain on them.

Magfire 10 (168). Hideous colour unless you are an Easyjet fan. But a great ski. Nice and agile at MK, held an edge well. I thought they'd be great on-piste. Yet, if you were with a group that was planning an on-piste day - but saw something tasty off-piste (or the on-piste got covered with ungroomed powder as at the MSB at Wengen) then they'd be fine there too. I am tempted by these.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 24-06-07 22:03; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Hey Guys,

Really pleased you liked the skis. Can you copy and paste your posts/reviews onto the 07 summer ski test reviews thread. Admins kindly turned it into a sticky so we can read all the reviews together.
snow conditions
kiwi1, done.
snow report
Hi kiwi1, have a look at this thread on TGR:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88137

All about where do the Maggots think ski technology is headed.

Wider and longer seems to be their opinion, interestingly I observe the same happening in your very own Icelantics which started out with short as being their market niche (very short), now clearly going longer into what might be described as "normal" length.

One very interesting point in tha TGR thread is bindings: as skis have got fatter, and there is a substantial market segment of very fat skis, bindings have not changed. This referring to the "footprint" of the binding mountings on the skis which is very narrow.
The point is raised in the thread that this puts a lot of strain on the binding mounts and compromises the torsion stiffness of the skis.
So why not wide-mounted bindings? Too small a market (probably) for the majors to bother with.
So over to Vist: easy for them to make a wide plate onto which Vist "standard" bindings can attach. It would be an easy thing to design and make, and I am sure there is a market there.

Well you said that feedback leads to actual design changes....over to you and Vist!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 25-06-07 12:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Interesting and I agree. I think there is a market on a binding that direct mounts to a wider footprint and not just a wide plate. Would you mind if I copy your post your post and sent it to VIST.

Great feedback.
latest report
I am happy for you to do that.
Only fair to expect a set to demo (on a permenent basis!) if it makes it to production though Very Happy
ski holidays
Following on from rungsp's point, I wonder if the mounting be higher, even for direct-mounted bindings, on fat skis - to aid edge to edge transition.
ski holidays
achilles really disagree with that, fat-folks want flat as possible (eg Marker Dukes).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp, Hmm. I have my CAD running at the moment - I'll have a play.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
achilles wrote:
OK, I did at least 3 runs on tested skis, after doing a few ruins on my own Missions.

So a big improvement with the tested then ?

Quote:

I was looking for a ski that would compliment them.

"I say there, Missions, what an awfully nice sidecut you do be after having."

Toofy Grin

Embarassed

rolling eyes
snow conditions
achilles, Pedant alert! (Well I do owe you one!)

Compliment = say nice things about.

Complement = make complete.

very often confused even at the highest levels! (of skiing, that is)

snowHead
latest report
diagram showing foot displpacement grater the higher the binding is.
rugsp, quite right about having the bindings as flat as possible - as this diagram shows. Foot movement required to rotate ski through the same angle increases dramatically as binding height increases.
snow conditions
brian, Chris Bish,

Eye Halve a Spelling Chequer

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long