Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Fitness, When to start?

Poster: A snowHead
abc wrote:
Puzzled

ah, sorry, femoris http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectus_femoris_muscle
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Actually, I'm not picking at your spelling. I knew rectus femoris is the "quad" muscle in layman's term. But I'm missing the grammer part. Wink Did you mean to say it IS part of "core"? Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abc wrote:
Did you mean to say it IS part of "core"? Puzzled

You bet it is:
Quote:
The rectus femoris is the only muscle in the quadriceps group that is involved in hip flexion, since it is the only one that originates in the pelvis and not the femur.

The rectus femoris is a weaker hip flexor when the knee is extended because it is already shortened and thus suffers from active insufficiency. In essence: the action of raising a straightened leg will recruit more iliacus, psoas major, tensor fasciae latae, and the remaining hip flexors than it will the rectus femoris.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Comprex - are you ever on Epic these days?

I'm afraid all this is making me feel guilty. When it comes to exercising I'm very lazy. I walk some weekends during the rest of the year but nothing else. I generally intend to start exercising in October (to ski late January) but actually usually end up starting a month later. Chiefly I bike up Highgate Hill every day - starting with once and building up to 3 times. After a while I throw in a few exercises. I am almost 59 so I know I should do more.
I rather rely on good technique - but most of the people I ski with have that too. If I were skiing on piste it would be OK since it doesn't take much energy, but we ski almost entirely off piste and even with good technique breakable crust is hard work! I got away with it when I was younger but skiing generally 8 or 9 day holidays I have found the last few years that around the 6th day I had a day when I felt tired from the start and skied badly.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 26-06-07 20:39; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Chiefly I bike up Highgate hill every day - starting with once and building up to 3 times.

That sounds rather boring, especially the 3 times part. Wink

Couldn't you find some more places to ride so you're more motivated to ride more often and year round?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, it is boring and that is the problem. But a gym is boring too.
Well sometimes I bike up Hampstead Hill. But generally, being in London the traffic is a problem. Cycling on the flat I would have to spend much longer to do much good. I often do it late in the evening when the traffic dies down and go on back roads.
As for the year round thing - I should probably cycle to my studio when I don't have to transport anything - it takes about 40 mins but is mostly on the flat.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball, hello, and, yes, though I really shouldn't.

Quite right about the boredom bit. Without a strong avocation to the cross-training activity, it is truly stifling to spend even one macrocycle of 12-16 weeks without reward let alone more. Fortunately, I like all the things that I do in the off season and the only conflict is in March and April when the skiing is tapering off and I stay with it instead of jumping onto new things. Yes, it's tricky to find an avocation to fill -second- place. Yet it is vital, or guilt kills enthusiasm even if indirectly.

PS there are games one can play on the flat, but they're really only rewarding to cycling geeks.
PPS IMHO the logical continuation to this thread is over in the Hips Knees Ankles thread here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26405
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I imagine it would be much more enjoyable cycling with someone else especially in the country.
PS just saw your PM.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
all this chat and folk still wont bother doing any real training rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
graeme wrote:

Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
graeme wrote:

Eleven months and counting. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
graeme, Yep, but it does make me think I should do some Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer, yeah eleven months where you could dramatically improve your fitness levels.
boredsurfin, well go out and do some....lol
abc, not sure what your confused about????
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
graeme, eleven months where I have dramatically improved my fitness level. Just making the point that not everyone won't bother doing any real training.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
graeme, You surely can't have missed Kramer's accounts of his prodigious achievements! wink
snow report
Quote:

Who are those "folks" who "won't bother doing any real training" you're talking about? Puzzled
snow report
the folk who in december january who will be asking the question, can i get fit in a couple of weeks, or the folk who say they dont do much training at all, and rely on good technique. or maybe the folk who say they dont have enough time to train, yet still find time to check out a website
snow report
Training before skiing isn't a duty, its a trade-off: How much of doing what you don't like is it worth doing to get a little more out of what you do like.
ski holidays
Since a long time posting, as this is quite entertaining now...

I maintain that it DOES matter how well-conditioned you are. Because of good physical condition, an average skier is capable of covering from more technical mistakes than otherwise and therefore reducing the stress that particularly your legs are bound to have. Clearly lessons are crucial, but if one's physical shape is crap, no technique will enable you ski nicely a full week.

Here's a non-ski spec weights programme straight out of mill for multisport use. Three times weights and two more CV excercises / week. Do the whole body on one go, have two sets of programmes so that in two weeks you have done both weight programmes for three times. Try to make compound movements and large muscle groups as they will also put heart to work a bit more

Weights 1:
Legs:
squat warmup 3*10 and then 4*10 full squats
leg extensions 3*12
leg curls 3*12
Chest:
Bench press 4*10
Back:
Chins or pull-down 3*10
Good morning/roman bench 4*10
Shoulders:
Military press 3*10
Lateral raise 2*10
Arms:
bicep curl bar 3*10
tricep push down 3*10
Abs:
full ab session (10 mins) leg raises, crunches, obliques crunches etc.

Weights 2:
Legs:
Leg press 3*12 warm up, 4*25 proper sets
lunges 3*20 for both legs
calf raises 3*20
Back:
deadlift 4*12
roman chair 4*15
chins 4*as much as you can
Chest:
incline bench press 4*12
Shoulders:
flyes lying down 3*12
Arms:
cable curls 3*10
tricep kick-backs 4*10
Abs as on day 1

This is not going to take a lot of time at all. Maximum rest between sets 45-60 seconds. Adjust weights so that you are almost at exhaustion at the end. The second day is more reps with lower weights just to add some variety.

Anyone can make a decent programme, it's not difficult, but actually motivating and easier to follow than just going to gym and doing something vague. A ski specific programme which you can start in November should help with the rest! In six weeks you'll already notice a difference and it will give you a better shape also for the beach. So, no excuses anymore!
snow report
demos wrote:
if one's physical shape is crap, no technique will enable you ski nicely a full week.

I disagree. I could ski reds and blues all day every day without pushing myself at all. I'd be tired at the end of the day, but not to a level that it would affect my skiing. What I wouldn't be able to do is push myself.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Quote:

Who are those "folks" who "won't bother doing any real training" you're talking about? Puzzled

Well, me for one. I just have fun in the off season.
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
abc wrote:
Quote:

Well, me for one. I just have fun in the off season.

You're not going to get very far with that attitude! wink
snow report
graeme wrote:
the folk who in december january who will be asking the question, can i get fit in a couple of weeks, or the folk who say they dont do much training at all, and rely on good technique. or maybe the folk who say they dont have enough time to train, yet still find time to check out a website

This is June. The "folks" who in december january who will be asking the question, can i get fit in a couple of weeks probably aren't reading the posts here in the summer! Wink

The folks who rely on technique will always be that: they are NOT interested in training. I'm not sure they're even reading this thread!

But I do know this part: "the folk who say they dont have enough time to train, yet still find time to check out a website" is checking out this website FROM WORK! So unless they can skip WORK to train, the time they spend on web browsing has nothing to do with time available for train. Wink
snow conditions
Quote:

But I do know this part: "the folk who say they dont have enough time to train, yet still find time to check out a website" is checking out this website FROM WORK! So unless they can skip WORK to train, the time they spend on web browsing has nothing to do with time available for train.

and you will be able to back that up then with facts/proof then?? or is this just a guess on your behalf?? wink
snow report
graeme wrote:
Quote:

But I do know this part: "the folk who say they dont have enough time to train, yet still find time to check out a website" is checking out this website FROM WORK! So unless they can skip WORK to train, the time they spend on web browsing has nothing to do with time available for train.

and you will be able to back that up then with facts/proof then?? or is this just a guess on your behalf?? wink

It's an "educated" guess. I'm willing to bet on it.
snow conditions
ok so not factual then rolling eyes
latest report
Well, those who're NOT working, please speak up! Wink
snow conditions
Up!!
I'm sat on my ar$e eating pizza, reading snowHead and chatting on MSN.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy