Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

China Plans Highway on Mount Everest

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
China plans to build a highway on the side of Mount Everest to ease the Olympic torch's journey to the peak of the world's tallest mountain before the 2008 Beijing Games, state media reported on Tuesday
Construction of the road, budgeted at $19.7 million would turn a 67-mile rough path from the foot of the mountain to a base camp at 17,060 feet "into a blacktop highway fenced by undulating guardrails," the Xinhua News Agency said...

Xinhua said construction, which would start next week, would take about four months. The new highway would become a major route for tourists and mountaineers, it said.[/quote]
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/06/19/ap3837782.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.freetibet.org/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard, that's not one of those dodgy pyramid schemes is it, where I only get my free tibet after I've signed up 10 other people who also sign up ten other people? I tried it for an IPod a few years ago ...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hyweljenkins, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hyweljenkins, Laughing Laughing start running now mate Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well it wouldn't be a low-way, would it? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hyweljenkins, Are you sure you have room for a whole Tibet? You must have a very large garden. Shocked Mind you, you couldn't easily make a worse job of looking after it than the Chinese have done.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman, and do you like the fact they mention the guardrails will be undulating. Never !!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's like they have simply discarded the ethics we in europe have built up out of centuries of enjoying the mountains, and taken our worst examples to the extreme.
One of my favourite aspects of mountains is that not everyone has the gumption or the guile to go there. Reinhold Messner once said 'you can climb anything with a bolt gun', so why bother?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Speaking as someone who has been to the Everest base camp on the Tibetan side, some of the article is misleading.

The route they are talking about is not "on the side of Mount Everest" it is the route which leads up to the base camp from miles away. Beyond the base camp you have to scramble up the terminal morraine of a glacier and then follow a fairly tortuous route along one of the lateral morraines which we did for about four hours when I went and even then you were not truly on the mountain itself, although I suppose you could just about say you were.

From an engineering perspective from what I remember, (it was eight years ago when I was there) what they are proposing is not difficult as the route can already be used by a reasonably large truck. It is just a question of making it a much better surface. Actually once you leave the major cities virtually all Tibet's roads are still dirt roads. I would be surprised if they could do the work in four months though.

I think this is a purely political move by the Chinese because they want the world to believe that they are investing in Tibet and dirt tracks do not conjure up the modern image that no doubt China will be projecting at the Olympics.

Lizzard, I have been making a small contribution to the Free Tibet charity for some years and I think it's a pity that some posters chose to trivialise your post.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy