Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

good, late skiing accessible by train from Rome

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, American looking for advice on a particular European ski vacation scenario.
Can you name one or two Alpine ski areas that would be particularly good given the following criteria:
-easily accessible by rail from the direction of Rome, Italy
-decent terrain variety for about 4 days of skiing by advanced to expert skiers & snowboarders
-good snow conditions in late March 2008
-not terribly crowded during the week immediately following Easter Sunday (23 March 2008)
-primary language spoken at resort is German

I am currently thinking about Brixen or Val Gardena, but wide open to other suggestions, in Italian Alps and elsewhere, including various pros and cons.

Thank you.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bump.

I am also looking at Andermatt and St. Anton. Timeframe could slip to early April. Not necessarily tied to Italian resorts, but what about Cervinia and Courmayeur? Still looking for suggestions on other satisfying Alpine ski areas that are footsteps from a major train line.
About Andermatt, although I like American style ungroomed advanced terrain, I am not an extreme skier by any means. Is there enough on-piste or near-piste terrain at Andermatt to keep an aggressive advanced skier happy for 3 or 4 days?
Thank you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lucky33, Hi, To be honest starting in Rome gives you no advantages over the rest of us, I'm sure someone will say that you can ski locally and need a hockey-stop to prevent you ending up in the Med ... but I suspect you're looking for an alpine holiday.

Rome has great connections to Geneva, Zurich et Munich. The world is your oyster. If you're daft ( like me ) and prefer driving you have the same choice ... 4-6 hours to any alpine resort.

If you need 'Train' then I would suggest hitting Switzerland as many resorts connect from Italy via Simplon.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lucky33, Rome is more mediterranean than skiing country. See http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/index.html

Now if you select Geneva as your ski airport almost every top European resort is within 3 hours drive. Select Rome and only one resort is listed. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To clarify. I would already be in Southern Italy visiting relatives and then tack on a 3-5 day Alpine ski trip to the agenda. After that I would return to Rome for flight back to US. Perhaps the thing may be to use a relative for a car-hire assistance and forget reliance on convenient train connection. Is the drive time from Rome to, e.g. Cervinia only 4-6 hours?
Thanks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A place that fits all your criteria except the German is Gressoney but like most places when skiing so late you would need to check the prevailing conditions, but its empty in the week and has enormous off piste potential. No night life!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lucky33, Nah .. I exaggerate.. if you can do Genoa in 3 hrs ... then say 3 hours from there to Cervinia ???
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cervina is not a great resort for advanced skiers and boarders.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went to Val Gardena by train with skis from Florence with the transfer to bus for the last leg of trip, there is some decent red skiing to be had away from the Sella Ronda loop which also gets rid of 75% of the crowds. The lifts above St. Cristina across the road from the rest of the resort area and there is even a 10 km run.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
what abut kronplatz in the south tyrol not far from brunico

fairly extensive skiing area
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for Dolomiti and all other ideas. I had dismissed that part of Italy for April skiing, but is sure is beautiful and perhaps Arabba/Marmolada is feasible for three days of interesting skiing in early April??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lucky33, The drive from Rome is listed on Via Michelen as around 8 hours, but I would allow extra time as the road system is not the best, a lot of 2 lane highways which can clog quickly, there is also major improvments going on arround Florence.

As a suggestion from Rome or anywhere further south try flying to Milan or Turin with Air One, an Italian offshoot of Lufthansa. They can be cheap but the also have a good domestic network.

As an example of thier prices I had to do a same day walk up last week from Rome to Venice and it cost E120 one way, if you book in adavance its a lot cheaper.

Sorry no help with resort knowledge but have a good time wherever you go
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
why not check out some of the resorts in the central apennines? there are some threads on here about some of them. i wouldn't book anything until nearer the time when you have a better idea of snow conditions but they are only about 1.5 hours drive from Rome. if you're lucky you might have nice spring conditions around then; if you're unlucky the snow will all be gone though
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lucky33, Arno's idea seems sound although I have no idea of what the areas are like. Otherwise I would strongly counsel against driving. European motorways are not like US freeways. And you'd be in Italy most of the way which means that no matter how fast you drive there will be an Audi A4 1.9tdi about 12 inches from your rear bumper most of the way. And once you pull over to let him (invariably) past, he'll slow down. Right down. It can get frustrating. And tiring.

And before anyone cuts in with the usual xenophibia nonsense, 1. it's not xenophobia, it's bias. 2. my wife is half italian. 3. I love Italy and the Italians. I just don't really see how getting a family of 5 onto a Vespa and doing 80kph in a 30kph zone is a good thing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its as David Murdoch, says, have lived around Rome for the last 6 months and completly agree with him. I really do not like driving here and I actually think it is worse on normal roads compared to the freeway. I am afraid I see at least one Scooter rider lying on the ground not looking too good every week.

After living in France for 10 years it is a big shock. Would go with Davids advice.

Back on topic I hope to get my first visit to one of the local resorts in the next 10 days, conditions permitting and subject to domestic managment approval, my Itallian collegues say that with good snow Roccaraso is very good but you have to time it right. Last season was not a good one they said.

http://www.roccaraso.net/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy