Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

End of traditional ski holiday by 2030? Colorado sees opportunity

Poster: A snowHead
Halifax General Insurance report predicts end of traditional ski holiday by 2030

David Frey, Aspen Daily News wrote:
He pointed to a study for Scotland's Halifax General Insurance that predicted "the beginning of the end of the traditional ski holiday" by 2030.

But Colorado sees opportunity in Global Warming.
Quote:
As higher temperatures are expected to push the snow line higher and higher, he said, those other resorts could lose their viability, leaving Colorado with a bigger chunk of the international ski business.

We live interesting times.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Every ski resort executive in Colorado has been issued with a Hummer, to help speed up this process Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This has been well documented.

As the world melts, resorts will go higher.

Parts of France, Colorado, Eurasia and the Himalayas will be sitting pretty.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And the anomalies, that continue to get dumped on regardless of altitude or latitude.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Methinks I'll be moving to Val T then.....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tequilaslammer, No - their skiing isn't high enough! The town is high, but not the top of the skiing! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
so they are moaning about emissions effing up their snow but looking forward to lots of europeans flocking to their resorts.. walking presumably..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wonder. We will see if skiing falls off altogether, I am somewhat of a troll in this. Seasonal cycles have something to do with it.

Of course I could be wrong, we will see. Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Roy Hockley, it wont.. 2 years ago it was the end of the world in this country because of drought.. mm i bet all those gardeners who switched to a 'low water' garden are wondering why they ever listened to the 'experts'
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lets all pray for an ice age instead then
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tequilaslammer, One site's view on expanding glaciers.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, just read a few things on that site. It's always fun to see how people like to twist things just to sell their book (which is all that site is about). Most of the links on the site are to itself, not external sources. Where it quotes externals, well, here's an example...

Quote:

...according to the report in the journal Science.

"The overall ice thickness changes are ... approximately plus 5 cms
(1.9 inches) a year or 54 cms (21.26 inches) over 11 years," according
to the experts at Norwegian, Russian and U.S. institutes led by Ola
Johannessen at the Mohn Sverdrup center for Global Ocean Studies
and Operational Oceanography in Norway.

The article then blathers on about how this is consistent with global warming.

The deception continues.

So, where an explanation is given that is contrary to the book he is trying to sell, he refers to it as "blather"!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, Could be. However, my son was told, on a visit to New Zealand a few years back that the Franz Josef glacier in New Zealand was expanding - and I recently saw that corroborated in an academic source (bit busy to track that down right now). There was also a comment that the expansion was a blip. But it would appear, that, for whatever reason, at least that glacier is expanding.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, yes, certainly are some glaciers that are expanding (NZ is a good example). And some that aren't.

That website also refers to the BBC ficitonal work "The Big Chill" as being a documentary (i.e. factual), and therefore true. It talks about Greenlands glaciers moving faster for 2 years compared to the previous 2 as proof that climate change is a fraud.
And as I say, most of the links in it are just internal, all there to sell a book.
In fact, if you go to one of the pages, all they list are any significant daily rainfalls or snowfalls - and these are "proof" that climate change isn't happening!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Who knows what is happening with global warming. I certainly do not subscribe to the Private Fraser"we're all doomed" theory. Trusting the source is the big thing here and I am swaying to trusting neither side.

The politicians are tied into this way too much and they are fiting this to whatever agenda they have rather than focusing on independant unbiased research. If it is such a threat why are we not throwing money at alternative fuel and power generation. Its all lip service at the moment.

I read somwhere in the past that due to global warming there will be more water content in the atmosphere and therfor higher winter snow falls so maybe mother nature might just sort it out on her own. That piece may or may not have been sponsered by the Avimore tourist baord and association of estate agents though.

Take the spin out of it, give me decent research and I will make my mind up
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
so they are moaning about emissions effing up their snow but looking forward to lots of europeans flocking to their resorts.. walking presumably..

You got it all wrong. Re-read the original post. "They" (Colorado resorts) are NOT "moaning about the emissions effing up their snow ". Colorado will benefit greatly from the influx of European skiers if snow disappears from the Alps. So, the more the Europeans flys, the faster that could happen.

That is, if you buy this whole "theory" of human-induced global warming.
snow report
 brian
brian
Whitegold wrote:

I know I shouldn't bother but why not parts of Switzerland, Austria, Utah, Alaska, Canada etc. etc. ?
ski holidays
brian, those are very sensible additions, except, perhaps (and it pains me to say it) for "Schination Nummer Eins", Austria. Although I am very impressed at how Hintertux has kept its terrain open, the cancellation of the Solden WC GS last October showed the vulnerability of Austria's glaciers.
Much of Austria's skiing is low-altitude. OK, as long as the winter brings cold air from the north-east, as it did a couple of winters ago. But sadly quite vulnerable to mild spells from the west.
snow report
brian wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

I know I shouldn't bother but why not parts of Switzerland, Austria, Utah, Alaska, Canada etc. etc. ?

I think those are just examples of regions. So yes, your list would be just as fine additions as well. So is Japan, for example.
snow report
Evrything over 2000m I skied last year was great snow from late Jan to early Mar and that was in what was deemed by many as a poor season.
2000m has long been the height that skiing starts so it is really the low alpine villages that may suffer.

Punters will have to be a bit more knowledgable and picky. TO's will get a caning as more people go DIY and last minute
latest report
JT wrote:
2000m has long been the height that skiing starts

A very accurate statement; JT; I'm sure you intended to imply the qualifier "in the Alps".
As the Hokkaido-based Mike Pow has reminded us, certain areas (near the eastern edges of large continents) can be low altitude and relatively southerly (in the northern hemisphere) yet remain cold. As well as Hokkaido, to that list you could perhaps also add northern China, Korea, or Newfoundland.
snow conditions
I don't know how well Korea fits most resorts in South Korea I believe get small amounts of natural snow and relies on a lot of man made though it is cold enough to make it.

How Hokkaido will change with climate change is anyones guess. I met a Japanese woman skiing who told me that as a child on the main Island all the houses where she lived had doors on the first floor for winter because the snow was so deep they could not get out of the ground floor and now they hardly get any. She was only about 40 and lived on the main Island.
snow conditions
Martin Bell,

Yep, talking about the alpes. but if I went elsewhere I'd bone up on local height variations.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy