Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallandry - Feb 16-23rd 2008. Grp lessons not available - now found and booked :D

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going with a group of experienced friends but I am a novice trying to move on beyond the snowplough. I was recommended to book lessons with NewGeneration, but they have NO group lessons available that week, only a few private afternoon ones at 229 Euros for 1-3 people of a similar standard for a 3 hour session and you have to pay in full on booking. That's a bit steep for just me to find but I have nobody to share with!

Suggestions?

Anyone else going wanting to share????

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 4-07-07 10:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NewSkier,
I don't know Vallandry but have you tried ESF? Their lessons have a bad reputation in many areas, my own feeling is that this is usually because of large classes rather than poor instructors. They will though be very busy this week but if you book early you should be able to get say an hour of privates each day which will probably help more than one three hour private.
PS You may get more info in Bend ze Knees or Resorts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NewSkier, personally I'd bite the bullet and just do it - I suspect you'll get far more out of one 3-hour session (subject to fitness adn concentration) than a whole week of group lessons.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NewSkier, I'd certainly recommend the private lessons at New Gen - our boys had them a while back and really came on.

Other company to try is Darentasia - also based in Vallandry, who I suspect will be offering Group Lessons
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eng_ch, They've put me on their waiting list for private lesson shares - that could be quite good - a 3hr session with just 3 students.

Boris, I have emailed Darentasia - thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
NewSkier,

If budget is an issue I think you'd be better off with a weeks worth of group lessons rather than 1 or 2 3-hour private lessons. You won't get the personalised instruction but you will get a weeks worth of lessons for about the same amount of money. Other advantages:

1. Safety - you'll be guided around the mountain all of the time.
2. If the resort is busy - you'd be able to use the lessons priority system.
3. If your friends are experienced and zooming off all over the place without you - you'll have the social side of the group.
4. You might learn more over the whole week of lessons rather than 1 or 2 3-hour lessons and self-practice.

HTH
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Totaly agree with Jumpin Jack, bear in mind that skiing should be a social activity and you will meet with new people and probably ski with them after class so that your gang can head off and not be worried about you stuck on a mountain all by yourself.

Like sex it is better if you are not doing it by yourself!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I took group lessons in ESF Vallandry last Jan. Level 3 was just a social thing, but my instructor in level 4, Philippe, was great. We went way off piste and got some sound and practical advice for our first steps in deep snow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dfl, welcome to snowHeads!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all. Darentasia have not replied to my email and the SH member from Newgen has never responded to the PM I sent him Sad

I have now been in touch with the company who we've booked the apartment with and they are going to see what they can find for me. They tell me that:

1. they are astonished Newgen are saying they are already full for Feb half term as other schools are not even taking bookings yet
2. ski schools tend to reserve a number of places for bookings done through holiday companies so they are not available to individual enquirers

The lady I spoke to from the apartment company says she will see what group lessons what she can find for me, and very much appreciates my needs & my fears which are

1. that I might end up in a very big group with someone like ESF
2. that such a group, especially if most were young and fit, might well make rapid progress onto slopes I couldn't cope with, so I would be forced to quit and lose both my lessons and my money! I have heard tales such as "the instructor was great, within 2 days we were on reds and blacks by the end of the week" - yeah well most blues have bits that scare me still!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
During the Feb. half-term this year ESF was cancelling lessons booked through foreign tour operators. If you'd booked directly with them you were fine, as were private lessons, but there was a whole heap of kids with no one to teach them, and a load of parents disappointed because they'd have to look after their own kids.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NewSkier, don't forget it's summer and those who make their living from winter tourism 7 days a week for 5 months of the year are on a well-deserved break at the moment. So I would be wary of writing off Darantasia and NewGen owing to a lack of reply right now - they simply not be there to pick up your message. If you favour one of those companies, I wouldn't give up on them just now
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
UPDATE - great news!

eng_ch, I went to NewGen because of their excellent reputation and the fact that their website was taking spring bookings. They told me directly that they had NO group lessons available that week, only 3 private 2-hr slots.

I have just had an email from the people we've booked an apartment through and they have been in touch with NewGen who have now found me a Level 3 group lesson for the week! It is exactly what I was after, as the description of that level fits me perfectly. Very Happy

I can relax now and just tick the months off!

----------

hyweljenkins, that is seriously worrying and not a great advert for ESF.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy