Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why No Hangovers?

Poster: A snowHead
Something Masopa has said on another thread has got me thinking.

Why is that when I'm at home any more than three pints of lager on Friday night makes me feel awful all day Saturday, but when skiing I can drink vast quantities, get four hours sleep, but as soon as I get out on the mountain (first lift) I feel fantastic? And I can do this 8 days in a row?

Do any physiologists out there have an explanation for this phenomenon? Can't all be fresh air and adrenalin surely?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've always wondered the same thing. I would love a good explanation (scientifically based or not) to flumox all the SAD non-skiers I work with, who refuse to believe me when I tell them this! Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I must be a shandy drinking girl, cause i cant get past 11pm on my hols and after two bottles of bud in my house im rats the next day. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd say it is because of what you're drinking. Try some nice real ale - no preservatives means that you can drink more before you get a sore head. Maybe it could also be because you're de-hydrated. I find that I actively drink lots of water when on holiday because everything is so well heated.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was about to say something similar Alex. Drinking lager in Britain is akin to pouring chemical waste down your throat. No wonder it hurts next day. The beer in Austria (not so sure about the stuff in France) has none of those nasty chemicals in it and so doesnt cause a nasty hangover.

I wont even start on "bottles of bud"
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Trouble is that if you add some red wine into the equation along with the beer then you do suffer. It also explains why my skiing was pants the day after our "last night". Mind you, it didn't help going to bed after 4.00 am and then getting up at 9.00. I had to give up by lunchtime! snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You're right Martyn C. The beer in Austria is au natrel but some can still be a bit gassy. I eat really well on holiday so I'm sure all the booze gets soaked up. After a few minutes of fresh air in the morning its business as usual. However, it hits me as soon as I get home and I feel awful for about a week until I've caught up on sleep and detoxed! Ahh, pollution free air and booze, only one week to go Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Believe me - if you try really hard, you can get just as poorly on holiday as you do at home Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I find I can drink less in the mountains than at home. Something to do with the altitude possibly.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I reckon the cold air is a great head clearer.

In the interests of experimentation, next time you've hung one on try sticking your head in the freezer and taking a few deep lung-fulls. A friend who worked in an industrial cold store swore by it.

Hairy dogs normally do it better for me. Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've always thought it was the cold mountain air. Nothing like thirty people in a 15 minute cable car ride to bring on the queaziness though. Been there a few times. Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's particularly dangerous as well Mark, especially if it's a Thursday morning. Probably quite a lot of people feeling much the same, and all you need is one person being physically sick and you'll set the whole cabin off. NASTY... Sad

My own personal hangover prevention trick is taking two charcoal tablets before going to bed. Combine this with as much water as you stomach and you solve/prevent two of the biggest problems - dehydration and the toxins that float around your system. Never fails to work (when I remember to take the charcoal!)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="masopa"]That's particularly dangerous as well Mark, especially if it's a Thursday morning. Probably quite a lot of people feeling much the same, and all you need is one person being physically sick and you'll set the whole cabin off. NASTY... Sad

I was in transit van years ago with a load of mates going down for a day's seafishing after a particularly heavy session the night before, when exactly that happened. The driver pulled over and I jumped out of the passenger door to open the back door and let 5 gagging blokes out - unfortunately in their haste to yank the door open, they broke the handle off and the door stayed shut. Funniest thing - watching then clammering to get out and then all being rather ill.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thats nice Masopa...!
snow report
Here's another that is even more appropriate
ski holidays
yuk!

but I must know where you're getting them from....!
ski holidays
The first one was actually from another forum I used to participate in (before I wrote off my car!) The second is a huge resource of cool smilies: WebSmileys

Incidentally, if you want to get the url of an image (or a webpage), right click over it and choose properties - that will then display the URL that you can link to using "[img]url address[/img]" without the quotes.

If it doesn't work, just
ski holidays
Thanks.... very cool.

Trying it out now - but looks strange in posting.

latest report
Excellent it worked.
snow report
ski holidays
I gott learn how to do this. Bear with me
latest report
This was me earlier

This is me now

Hopefully this will be me soon
ski holidays
Fantastic. I'm up there with the spods.

At this point I would like to apologise for any daft and ridiculous postings to this forum which I may be doing later this evening. Toofy Grin
latest report
No problems - read my tips on another thread* about preventing the following morning's sore head and queasy stomach

Cheers!

* edit: That'll be THIS thread then. Doh!
snow conditions
And all cos I thought she was an
snow report
[quote="Mark Hunter"]
masopa wrote:

I was in transit van years ago with a load of mates going down for a day's seafishing after a particularly heavy session the night before, when exactly that happened. The driver pulled over and I jumped out of the passenger door to open the back door and let 5 gagging blokes out - unfortunately in their haste to yank the door open, they broke the handle off and the door stayed shut. Funniest thing - watching then clammering to get out and then all being rather ill.

Thats fantastic! So come on then somebody must have been in a cable car with a cascading projectile vomit situation. Lets hear from you.
ski holidays
just having a go...........
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bug me!
latest report
I could cause chaos on that 'other' site........................
ski holidays
Ah Fruity, if only were so.

Let me tell U a tale of the olde country:
Way back in the depths of Summer when last season's stories had been told too often and it was still a little too sad to be looking forward to next season - somebody posted a message in the 'olde place' with all sorts of text formatting that we had not seen before. When Elizabeth pointed out that this could be reproduced by any of us using simple HTML tags ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE.

It was mental - coloured text, HUGE coloured , moving, flashing text and pictures and even sounds accompanied posts.
It was as if the teletubbies were running the ski club!

Then one day ---- eh oh!
The site turned PINK - the front page was pink instead of white and U just had to laugh. It was like the 'Spot' in 'The Cat in the Hat Comes Back'(where the snow all ends up pink) - colour spreading to bring fun to a dull dull dull day(when mother's away).

By all accounts it was quite a popular choice too but 'mother always comes home in the end' and Laura took away our toys and protected the site from HTML code.

However, those wonderous times shall always be fondly remembered, honoured as they are by the thread: The Glorious Days Of Colour.

The End.
ski holidays
What ever did happen to Pyramus_01? Ah well, it was a good exercise in HTML and great fun......I never did quite get the hang of Javascript. Mummy stopped me playing just as I was getting into it Crying or Very sad
ski holidays

xx
snow report
Pyramus_01 could well be amongst us.....
I was just waiting for the whole thing to go pink one day on this site - it was the funniest moment on "the other place" when it happened!!

Maybe yellow would be fun...
latest report
I have to say that if your hangover disappears as soon as you get out on the mountain, then you just haven't drunk enough the night before. A true mountain hangover, is when you force yourself out of bed because the conditions are fantastic, get out and do a full days skiing, drink water, have lunch, and still, at the end of the day, your mouth tastes of stale beer, and you've got a pounding headache, but somehow it doesn't seem to matter so much, especially once the first Red Eric has slipped down in the PD.
snow report
or try www.websmileys.com
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy