Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chill Factor business could be affected by congestion charge

Poster: A snowHead
Greater Manchester's approaching congestion charge could have a detrimental effect on business for Chill Factor, which is due to open in November. It has emerged that the slope, which is due to open next to the Trafford Centre, may have been built elsewhere if the developers had known about the road pricing plans. There are fears that the charge will put off potential customers at the £31million ski centre.
...The centre recently held a ‘topping out’ ceremony to mark the completion of the highest point of a new building. As is customary, an evergreen bough was placed at the top of the building to ‘ward off evil spirits’ and bring luck and success to the new leisure destination. After celebrating with bosses of the contractors (Sir Robert McAlpine), Chill Factor’s chairman Peter Moore revealed that he first heard of the congestion charge plans only 6 weeks ago, when he read about them in a local newspaper.

The British Disabled Ski Team has recently announced that it has chosen Chill Factor as its training base for the Vancouver 2010 Paralympics.

See: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1009/1009383_charge_worries_for_ski_slope.html
www.chillfactore.com
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is a problem for me, if you enter the inside of the M60 ringroad, which literally circulates manchester, then you are inside the congestion zone, the Chill factor is literally just on the other side and can be well seen from the motorway bridge.

Correct me if i am wrong though, there are certain times when this charge applies?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wonder how it's going to work for those living within the congestion zone? Our gym is next to chill factor - so what happens when we go there I wonder?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I live inside the M60.

I guess it will depend on whether the scheme is exactly as proposed. My reading of the proposals is that you wouldn't be charged for entering the zone after 09:30, so going there after work would be fine.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You just need to park the other side of the M60 and walk!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B, And there is a small retail park with parking just in the right place.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maybe they'll install a zebra crossing on the M60 if there's enough demand?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My understanding is the congestion charge will apply to people travelling along major routes into or out of Manchester city centre, with the traffic, during rush hour. It won't be like the london charge (you enter the zone and you pay full whack). Only people i can see this affecting is those driving from the city centre (eg from work) to chill factore during evening rush hour - but then if they've chosen to drive to work they'll be paying to get home anyway.

Just annother example of te press putting a negative spin on things...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Manchester is a frightful, backward, declining, post-industrial, post-agricultural dump. I cannot believe they are introducing a congestion tax to impoverish the locals even further. It is outrageous.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold,

??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
srobbo, but not near enough to walk from with skis, boots and bag with a change of clothing in!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold, oh dear, where have you been for the last 20 years? You really must get out more!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sharon1953,

I don't mean to be picky, but your Location says near "Chill Factor", when it really should say "Chill Factore"! They get very upset if you miss the e off...thought you're in good company, as the MEN do the same!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, I wonder what firm of brand consultant berks dreamt that up? rolling eyes

BTW, Manchester is great! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold, Waht part of the UK are you from?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,
Never Never land. wink
latest report
beanie1, Yes I know, I am on their email list and asked them why on earth they did that, as everyone searching on the net wouldn't think to spell it that way - I can't remember what the "e" stands for now, but it's written in superscript, so even more bizzare when it comes to writing it.
snow conditions
It means to the power of e - into infinity, ie not just chill factor...
snow conditions
beanie1, e isn't a very big number (2.71828 approx), so some factor to its power isn't especially big: certainly not infinity.

Pretentious and ignorant brand consultant berks! Twisted Evil
snow report
but e = mc squared...
ski holidays
nbt, big 'E'! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
This story is a load of cobblers. As has been said, any road charging will be for certain arterial routes into the city centre in rush hour. It won't affect this place at all
snow conditions
pompeymanc wrote:
This story is a load of cobblers. As has been said, any road charging will be for certain arterial routes into the city centre in rush hour. It won't affect this place at all

It will affect perceptions.

Rightly or wrongly, some will perceive it to be within the charging zone. Some will delay or cease attending.

The Chill Factor is already battling against having a rubbish name. The perceived traffic tax will only make things harder.
ski holidays
here we go heres the answer,

well so far

www.gmfuturetransport.co.uk

peak charges only 7-9.30 am

4-6.30 pm
ski holidays
cookie monster, the map is so small, and with so little detail it is still hard to see if going from Eccles to Trafford or Eccles to Worsley, there would be a charge
snow conditions
From what I have heard so far I guess that if you were coming off the M60 into the trafford park area where the chill factore is then you'd probably not be charged cos you won't go far on a main road towards the city centre... but there will no doubt be loads of changes before it is brought in.... at the moment I would have to pay to leave my house and head out of manchester during charging times cos I live right on the princess parkway (main road heading into city centre Evil or Very Mad ) that would make going to rossendale a bit more expensive!! Shocked and to the chill factore! but as long as you are travelling outside the times people have already mentioned it's not going to affect you at all and I guess most traffic to the chill factore would fall into that bracket anyway...
snow report
vivski,

If you are travelling against the flow of traffic (ie away from city centre in morning, to city centre in evening), my understanding is there will be no charge. I also live in city centre and was worried about the same thing!
snow conditions
cookie monster, I'm trying to work out the significance of the yellow and orange lines. As they can be crossed sidways!! ie, Eccles to Trafford Park and the blue motorway lines that zig zag. I'd hate to think that my kids would have to pay to see me on their way home from work. I don't see them enough as it is!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
pompeymanc wrote:

Rightly or wrongly, some will perceive it to be within the charging zone. Some will delay or cease attending.

The Chill Factor is already battling against having a rubbish name. The perceived traffic tax will only make things harder.

I disagree. Local people will still come, as this is the only indoor slope in easy reach of a large chunk of the north west, so where else would people go? Pay extra for a longer trip to Castleford? Unless it's actually open at 7.30am (assuming they decide to charge on this route, which they won't) getting to it won't cost any extra. Those travelling from further afield wouldnt come in rush hour. Even if the charge did apply it wouldnt affect traffic in this direction in the evening when the place is open.
snow conditions
beanie1, The 6:30pm finish to the charge on heading out of the centre seems a bit late to me.

Princess Parkway is empty at 6pm, so it would be annoying to be charged just to get out to the M60.
snow report
I agree the finish seems a bit late - 6pm would probably have been fine.

And beanie1 I realise that getting out of manc in the morning or in in the evening would be fine but it's getting out of manchester in the evening charging time that I'm worried about! Tho I don't think I'll still be living in the same place by then Very Happy
ski holidays
pompeymanc wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
pompeymanc wrote:

I disagree. Local people will still come, as this is the only indoor slope in easy reach of a large chunk of the north west, so where else would people go? Pay extra for a longer trip to Castleford? Unless it's actually open at 7.30am (assuming they decide to charge on this route, which they won't) getting to it won't cost any extra. Those travelling from further afield wouldnt come in rush hour. Even if the charge did apply it wouldnt affect traffic in this direction in the evening when the place is open.

Not everyone will have access to such perfect information. Some will inevitably be underinformed. Some will perceive that they may have to pay an extra traffic tax to get to the CF. It is a barrier to entry. It raises the total price of going to the CF. Higher pricing lowers demand.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Not everyone will have access to such perfect information. Some will inevitably be underinformed. Some will perceive that they may have to pay an extra traffic tax to get to the CF. It is a barrier to entry. It raises the total price of going to the CF. Higher pricing lowers demand.

Ah well. More room on it for me then Laughing Laughing
latest report
vivski,

I think (hope) that if you live in the city centre there will be a discount, like in London?
snow conditions
pompeymanc, me too - 5 months to go !
ski holidays
beanie1,

well you'd hope so but apparently initial plans do not include discounts for residents.... think that might have to change tho.... anyway all plans I've heard seem a bit sketchy at the moment and it's a long way off so probably pretty much all the details are likely to change by 2012 - and this is assuming they manage to make all the public transport improvements required for the scheme (somehow I am not convinced!) rolling eyes
snow report
I haven't looked at the map.....but how does this affect the Trafford Centre. That's inside the M60. Will people have to pay to enter that?
ski holidays
Will people have to pay to enter that?
Yes, if they go in between 7am and 9.30am and aren;t already inbetween the m60 and the inner ring road
ski holidays
I thought they might get away with it if they just go off the M60 straight into the traff centre - cos you don't go any distance really on a road into the city centre - I spose it depends exactly where they put the points that determine charging.... but knowing the money grabbing so and so's they probably see it as a great opportunity to make money Evil or Very Mad probly not many people go to traff centre at that time in the morning anyway - except the poor people who work there obviously....
snow report
I thought they weren't going to actually start charging until after they had sorted out the public transportation system, which effectively means they'll never start charging.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy