Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier - Briançon old town

Poster: A snowHead
What's the verdict on this?

I've spotted a nice apartment at a reasonble price, so I'm sure there's a catch!

Thanks,

SM
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shockingmoment wrote:
What's the verdict on this?

I've spotted a nice apartment at a reasonble price, so I'm sure there's a catch!

Post the details and maybe we'll spot it! Laughing

Briancon is part of the Prorel domain I think, which has had shakey finances... but at worst you have to drive a few km. Apartments are quite pricey in Briancon in general. The town was fortified against the Austrians by Vauban.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go for it - Briancon is the highest town in Europe - and the skiing is superb. It links into a huge skiing area and boasts a sunshine record. I worked in Serre Chevalier for 2 seasons and try and go back every year. You can also get to Italy very easily if you get tired of French food and wine.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, Only after I've booked it....
Briançon apartment inexpensive - which is what set the alarms going.

skilegs, when you say links - does that mean it shares the same pass or physically you can ski from and to?

Thanks,

SM
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shockingmoment, Briancon is linked to the Serre Chevalier area at one end of it (South I think). You can take a shortish drive to Montgenerve (sp?) which whilst still in France links into the Mily Way, which is in the most part in Italy. Was in Serre Chevalier this year at end of Feb and it had good snow, Montgenerve seemed to have OK snow but it waqs very sparse in the rest of the Milky Way. Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry just realised haven't answered main part of question Serre Chevalier and Milky Way are two different passes!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shockingmoment wrote:
davidof, Only after I've booked it....

Yes good idea. My wife has just been helping someone with a house purchase in the Dordoigne, the catch there was that the place had been converted without planning permission. Shocked Check to see what the charges are like - frexample I never bought in Paris because you are generally paying 400 euros per month charges. Also find out if there is a renovation plan - for example maybe the frontage is scheduled for renovation. This can land you with a big bill. Tax d'Hab should be ok in Briancon... in certain towns, ones where the mayor has delusions of grandeur, it can be crippling. You also need to check what may be built around about... like an incinerator or a new helipad for the rescue services.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would word Serre Chevalier and Milky Way are two different skiing domains. I would say the road linking the two a pass at all.

Was there March this year and didn'tt think things were expensive there as Briancon isn't an easy place to get to, from either the French side or the Italian side. I wrote in one of thread
Quote:
Meals and accommodation are dirt cheap there. We stayed in Mercure hotel for 59 Euro per twin room. The 3-course dinner inside the hotel costs 19 Euro. That was beaten by the next door Cafeteria of Geant offering a 6 items dinner for 12 Euro (bread, soft drink, starter, main disk, desert and a coffee!)

Had a fantastic time in Italian Milky way though. Was put off a bit by the French way of dominating the chairlift at Briancon end by 200 kids holding some sort of event. Like some said it already Briancon is the one end of the Serre Chevalier and if there is a 1.5 hour queue at the bottleneck you won't see much of the rest of the domain.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They have a pretty damn good snowpark in Serre Che.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shockingmoment, I may be able to help. PM on the way.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Briancon old town is lovely, but some of the apartments may need renovating.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shockingmoment, I am not sure ftrom your post if you are wanting to buy or rent. I have stayed in Briancon on many occasions though not in the old town. I really like it
Drawbacks:
It depends a bit on what you want from a place to stay. It is about a mile from the old town to the lifts at Prorel with quite a steep hill to negotiate. There is no free ski bus from the old town so you either have to use a car (Iwould check parking) or the bus service I am not sure how frequent this is, as I have always had a car. Once you are at Prorel there is usually no problem as you can either ski from here or take the free ski bus along the valley to the rest of the Serre Che area.

The lift pass for Serre Che for six days or more covers trips to different areas Montgenevre and Puy St Vincent are a very short drive from Briancon. L2A and especially Alpe d'Huez are a bit further.

The old town is very atmospheric and pleasant to walk around but it isn't a typical ski resort with pubs and nightlife.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Grand Serre Che pass covers Briancon, Chantemerle, Villeneuve and Monetier - a huge area with great off piste possibilities.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar, good spot. just renting. family ski so night life not that important. space is though - we need at least two bedrooms. s/c is best option for us

also want to walk to lifts - not much really!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skilegs, thanks for the reply
snow report
shockingmoment, if you want two bedrooms, my place is a bit small, but check out La Griottes on www.eurekaski.com/plus.htm . It is in Monetier-les-Bains, but a bit closer to the skiing than Briancon Old Town, you may have to walk from there with skis etc, which would not be brilliant. If you email Mel about the apartment, she may take a couple of days to reply, as she just had a baby yesterday Very Happy . Tell her I sent you!!! If there's more than 4 of you though, it won't be suitable.
snow conditions
shockingmoment,
I like Briancon for the family but for most of the accommodation a car is very useful. The area closest to the lifts is not very attractive or appealing though there are cheap appartments for rent.
snow report
You may not be able to park your car close to your accommodation in the Old Town.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont,
I think your right, though if there is parking reasonably close it isn't to bad as you can carry boots and change them in the car park. If shockingmoment, wants to walk to the lifts though I would say the old town is not very practical at all and your suggestion of Monetier is a better one.

PS Other point is if children are having lessons Buissonniere at Villeneuve or Eureka at Monetier will have smaller classes generally than ESF at Briancon, though our kids have had some good instruction there.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone

I think Briancon is out so how about Chantemerle?

Mixed ability bunch - 5 of us - reds / blues, occasional blacks
Prefer an apartment, walk to or on slopes
Daughter taking her friend so we need two bedrooms and a sofabed or prefer three bedrooms
snow conditions
shockingmoment, nothing is actually on the slopes, so it will have to be close by. Try http://www.serrechevalier.org/apartments/serre-chevalier-apartments.htm
ski holidays
shockingmoment, zillions of apartments at both Chantemerle and Villeneuve. I prefer Villeneuve personally - nice old town, more bars and restaurants.

Try Googling Dyon Immobilier.
ski holidays
shockingmoment,
Chantmerle should offer you plenty of good skiing with very good access to the whole area. The main run back down to the resort is not easy being black and the main green alternative crosses it and can be intimidating but downloading is easy if you don't fancy it. It is not a particularly compact place so some of the accommodation will be convenient for the lifts and some less so. I'd try and get a map with the appartments on it from the tourist office or the letting agency.
snow report
The link above is in the old village, and only a very short walk to the lifts.
snow report
shockingmoment, the link posted by Helen Beaumont, is run by snowHeads very own Ricklomas. Try a PM to him and you may get a snowHead 's discount.
ski holidays
Maps of the villages in the tourist office website. www.serre-chevalier.com
latest report
Helen, Thanks Helen - nice link
ski holidays
Thanks, got it sorted. Chantemerle it is!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shockingmoment,
Have a great time.
snow report
shockingmoment, good, I know the property is very close to the lifts, so thought it might be suitable for you.
ski holidays
Nobody has mentioned La Grave which is quite close (much closer that L2A and Alpe d'Huez)!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 19-06-07 9:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
snowball, no free lift access though with SC pass. you have to pay full whack for the La Grave lift I'm afraid.
snow conditions
Well yes. of course, like L2A and Montgenevre/Sestriere (Milky Way).
latest report
snowball, Too late - booked and dep paid!

Thanks very much everyone for your thoughtfull and considered suggestions. Such a wealth of knowledge!

The countdown begins.......8 months!
latest report
Enjoy Briancon great place ,dont forget to get chains -can be scary getting to and from chambery,do vist Puy St Vincent and Pelvoux
snow conditions
tomf, Lets hope I need them
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy