Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Longest Black Run in the World?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm coming in on this thread a bit late - been off air recently, but the Sarenne is a fix. Only the very small top section is black and the rest of it is definitely more blue than anything. Good marketing though!

Longest? From the top of the glacier in LDA (3568m) you can ski down to 1290m at Mont de Lans - assuming snow low down that is. It's piste all the way and can be skied without recourse to uplift. they're talking about putting cannons in on the Mont de Lans run very soon, which will be great. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The latest edition of Daily Mail Ski & Board lists, what they believe are, the longest pistes in the world. Sarenne and Aiguille Rouge are there and they list: Schilthorn to Lauterbrunnen, Plataeu Rosa to Valtournenche without giving a classification, Peak to Creek in Whistler, but they say these are new this season, Parsenn Runs, Davos, a red and Cascades in Flaine which is blue. So we still haven't got our definitive list.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Schilthorn to Lauterbrunnen is a mixture of Blue, Black and Red from memory, at least I think there's some red in there, definately black and blue, or to put it another way, all the colours you are likely to turn if you fall on one of the more challenging sections Shocked

Verticle is from 2971M down to 796M over arround 14km, one of the longest downhill ski races in the world (The inferno) originally started before the cablecar existed which meant walking up from Murren 1634M in the wee small hours before the race Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I've always found it hard but nowhere near as hard as le Tunnel (which is quite long ~3km as well but b*****y steep for most of it).
I have just found this, skiers exiting the tunnel onto the face at alpe d'huez, I suppose you could say it is fairly steep.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 8-10-06 15:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just looking through this thread, I have to say that the Schindlergrat in St Anton is tougher than any other marked route that I have ever skied including the sache, foret, and "S" in espace killy, and the back bowls in whistler(but not couloir extreme).

Found it by accident on our last day skiing in St Anton last year, we were sort of looking for it, but didn't realise quite how long and difficult it was. It was in March, so as I'm sure you can imagine, the moguls were huge. Had a look from the top, didn't look too bad (it never does!) and dropped in down the little gully at the top. It's quite deceptive in that it doesn't start to get bad until you are just past a practical distance to take your skis off and climb back over the top. To make it worse, at that point the cloud came rolling in, reducing visibility to zero. I never actually felt that I was going to die on the mountain, however at one point I seriously thought that we were not going to make the bus to the airport on time. To cut a long story short, we made it down in one piece, at the bottom a hearty hand-shake was exchanged, and it was decided that this was the perfect time to return the hire skis and celebrate with a pint.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, There are a whole bunch of very nice runs leading off the top of the Schindlergrat. Highly recommended. My favourite is the couloir immediately beside the Schindler chair, leading down to Ulmer Huette (turn left at the chair, remove skis and walk along the side of the lift station, over the barrier, skis on and... drop). You can use that as an entry point to a number of really great variants. I have spent a whole day doing nothing but exploring all the routes of the top of Schindler before now
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer wrote:
Just looking through this thread, I have to say that the Schindlergrat in St Anton is tougher than any other marked route that I have ever skied including the sache, foret, and "S" in espace killy, and the back bowls in whistler(but not couloir extreme).

I think the Grand Couloir in Courchevel is about the steepest piste I can think of (and the approach is a bit dangerous too)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike, I've seen that couloir from the chair on my way up, I did wonder what sort of maniac would ski down it! Shocked

I'm nowhere near that level, but I don't think that that run is a marked piste. I may be wrong but I thought the Schindlergrat was the one that came off the other side from the top of the drag lift, and then took you down towards the "Happy Valley"?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer, In fact that couloir is not as steep as it looks. if it's got plenty of snow in it then nothing much can happen if you fall (which I have done).
The Schindlergrat is the ridge (Grat) at the top of the Schindler chairlift. If you ski down the ridge and keep to the left then you get into the run down to Ulmer Huette and on down to Alpe Rauz and then on to Stuben, which is about 7-8 KM run.
If you keep to the right at the top of Schindler then you get into the Schindlerkar, which is a marked route (i.e not a piste, but checked out by the mountain rescue/avalanche people) which can eventually take you down into happy valley.
I think the drag you are talking about is the one that takes you into Mattun. You get there from either Schindler, with a bit of a push, or from the Valluga. Mattun has been the cause of many a broken marriage... In fact if you were to open up a lawyers shack offering instant divorces at the bottom of Mattun then you could do great business I think!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David@traxvax, The Parsenn (Davos) is only a blue really. They mark it red because of it's length, which seems odd.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Lawrie, How about the rocks either side! If I remember correctly, there are 3 or 4 chutes to the left as you get off the Schindlerkar. I've done a couple of them in good snow conditions but I did see a guy go down one in dodgy conditions on a pair of Big Feet! After you've done one of the chutes, there's a nice traverse to the left, which involves a bit of side step up, back over the shoulder. This opens up the face directly underneath the Scindlerkar. It can be perfect powder or it can be breakable crust.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kit Wong, Yup. The rocks should be avoided. I guess you mean the shoulder that takes you directly under the Valluga cable (keep your head down or lose it)? Great stuff. I've never had bad snow in there. But I did nearly get taken out by an avalanche that came down there while I was traversing along the piste at the bottom of it. That's the traverse that you take back to the Schindler chair if you don't want to go all the way down to happy valley. Went straight over the piste right behind me! Worrying moment!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think that the run that I'm thinking of is the Mattun.

Talking of which, that run down to Stuben, although not very challenging, must be one of the worlds great blue runs.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, Definitely one of the best. The great thing about Stuben in general is that no matter how crowded it gets in the rest of St.Anton, Stuben is empty. For some reason people just don't want to go there. The same goes for Rendl. You can have a 20 minute lift line at the bottom in St.Anton, and exactly zero minutes wait 100m across the road in Rendl. It's not as though the skiing on Rendl is any worse than on Galzig, so what's the reason?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The black run down from Rendl is also a fantastic run, and usually deserted. Great for a speed run, and for testing your nerve. I think that it's always quieter because it involves taking off your skis and carrying them, which is never popular. As for Stuben, I think that the black run that you have to take to get to the bottom of the Schindlergratbahn lift puts a few people off, also it's quite a long way away, I think people probably worry about getting lost. It's the usual thing about any of these big linked areas, most people just ski the main routes, and the routes that they know. It's very similar in l'espace killy, with Le Fornet almost always being almost deserted
One of my absolute best skiing experiences was when a group of us had caught the bus over to Zurs and then Lech, and having left it just a little too late to get back we were racing to always just make it in time to catch the last lift back up to the top, finally catching the very last cable car and drag lift to make it a down hill run back to Zurs to get the bus back in time for diinner. There were about seven or eight of us, belting along on a deserted mountain, with the sun setting over the mountains in the background.
In fact, just writing about it now is making me misty eyed for St Anton Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Mike Lawrie,
Quote:

I guess you mean the shoulder that takes you directly under the Valluga cable (keep your head down or lose it)?
Yes. You pass under the Valluga and drop in under the Schindler.

Kramer, I remember a few years back, skiing over to Zurs from St Anton(it's a one way trip unless you've got skins!) On the bus journey back we forgot to get off at Alpe Rauz(?)for the last chair back to St Anton and ended up in Langen, with a long wait for the next train. Not as bad as missing the last chair back at Val Thoren to get back to Brides les Bains, but that's another story.
snow report
Kit Wong wrote:
skiing over to Zurs from St Anton(it's a one way trip unless you've got skins!) .

I'm sure a guide took us back once on skis (though it was a long time ago). I remember an awkward ridge but we didn't use skins, I'm fairly sure.
snow conditions
Kit Wong, don't you end up in Zurs off the back of the Valluga?
latest report
snowball, I wouldn't doubt you if you said you did it. It certainly looks possible on my map, though the traverse from the Trittikopf looks long and a bit rocky towards the ridge. You must post one of your artistic doodles and show me where it is!
Quote:

don't you end up in Zurs off the back of the Valluga?
Kramer, yes. They won't let you take skis up on the top cable car if you don't have a guide. It's about a 15 mins climb up a precarious ridge if you want to bypass this cable car. Though I would advise against this on your first attempt as route finding is not that obvious, and of course, it does avalanche there.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, U!
ski holidays
I'm not up to that standard yet Kit, I've heard that the first bit down from the Valluga is a tad steep, with lots of hazards if you fall. I've only really started to ski off-piste last season, and have got a lot of improving to do.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy