Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave 2008 (with mini-TR and photo link at end)

Poster: A snowHead
Doh!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno, No probs... I couldn't see it as my version of Reader is giving me grief... but thanks to all...I'll sort it in the morning
snow report
 brian
brian
JT, no problem for me to pick you up if you don't mind hanging around.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian,

Thanks Brian.. if I need a lfit, I'll text you tomorrow
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is snowing big flakes and -17 at the top....... as of 18:00 local time, says a mystery source..Laughing

I am not saying it is bumper, but a refresher would be nice...

BC is collecting me so I'll wait up or let you guys know the door code...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BTW guys be careful, was warm and windy in Engelberg, saw plenty of wet snow/mud slides in Engelberg yesterday. New snow on top of that might not be that stable!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, Cool

Safe journey, see you soon everyone
latest report
 brian
brian
Right, time to head off to the airport, see you guys at breakfast snowHead

Sounds like we only got a few cm but better than nothing, it'll have drifted into the couloirs anyway wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
assuming La Grave got similiar wind to Engelberg over the past weekend, ie 100kmh it'll have done more than drift Brian, should remind you of home Wink
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Day 1 - crust-tastic wink

Everybody having fun though, n'est-ce pas ? snowHead
latest report
 brian
brian
So, the slightly longer version ....

My Ford Ka/Fiat Panda size turns out to be a smart car ! It's like driving a dodgem, semi-auto gearbox is like playing on a ps3 Toofy Grin Seriously hard to keep in a straight line when the vent is blowing a tad fort ! Still, we get into La Grave about 1am, it's clear and cold and obvious that not much fresh snow has fallen Neutral

The morning dawns bluebird but cold, a quick trip out to hire the planks and into the Autocar du BernardC, heading for Auris and hence l'Alpe d'Huez. Frustration #1, a lost txcvr means a quick run back to the car but no sign so we press on via several lifts only to run into frustration #2, the télépherique Pic Blanc runs out of gas, we're stuck in it for half an hour, then it trundles back to base and we make alternative tracks via 2 stages of Marmottes télécabine and a chair.

Finally, after 12, we're into the Grand Sablat. It looks inviting, but windblown crust gives way to sun crust and a bit of scoured crust. Almost every turn is different but we're all adapting and everyone gets down with not much trouble and a bit of "interesting" fun. The views are sensational and eventually we get down low enough for the sun to transform things to good old spring corn. A hike up to the Col de Sarenne and it's lunchtime. The day is fast disappearing but we squeeze in a trip to the Combe Charbonniere and the snow is a bit easier. It gets a little thin in the big bumps further down and Phil has an interesting pop out'n'in on his shoulder. Ouch.

Back to Auris, and the lost txcvr turns up, hurrah ! Bernard treats us to further luxury transport back to LG and a well earned beer.

Demain, les grandes bosses de La Grave Skullie et peut-etre St Christophe. Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, see my PM
snow report
 brian
brian
snowball, no go for me. Will ask around.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Friday started badly, very badly. Cloudy and cold and too windy for the La Grave lift. Manu told us there was nothing doing off piste until the sun could get out to soften things up so he took the day off and we headed over to Serre Chevalier on the offchance of at least maybe finding some decent pistes. We did that and even wrung a little bit more out of the day. A north facing couloir off the Tete de Balme (?), a bit mogulled and thin at the pinch point but generally in decent nick. So good we skied it 3 times. The rest of the good spots known to the group were too thin or had unskiable snow or were scoured or ... you get the picture.

Today, the sun was back out and La Grave re-opened. So a more hopeful start. We skied a couple of descents of the glacier and through the Breche de Pacave back to P2 and then, after a leisurely lunch, headed off into the Vallon de la Selle to St Christophe. The sun had softened things up nicely and after a sketchy start on thin old rubbish, it opened out into a lovely descent in great spring snow, finishing with a little couloir. Then a not too pleasant traverse and a hike out but it couldn't take the shine off such a brilliant run.

Taxi back to LG and a couple of beers. Ski de randonée tomorrow, fingers crossed for some early sun for another soft descent.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks to everyone for an enjoyable trip even if sub-prime isn't just a description of the US mortgage market.

Some takeaways - Don't break the cable car, don't leave your tranny on the spoiler of an adjacent car 1st thing in the morning & Serre Che is an area with great potential if the snow is there.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
To finish off the TR-ish bit, the last day saw us all on touring kit (3 total beginners, 3 old hands). We headed up to the tiny station of Le Chazelet above La Grave on the opposite side of the Romanche from La Meije. After handing over the princely sum of €3, we got a ride up the teleski to start the tour at about 2100m, then followed the long ridge up to the summit of Le Gros Tet at 2613m. The descent was via its east face, mixed powder/crust at the top and then a firm to gradually softening hardpack lower down.

Nice way to end the trip for me, as after lunch I headed off for the airport, just in time to catch the first drops of rain which would start giving the area some much needed new snow. Bah ! Hopefully, Graham, John, Bernard and Steve are still making the most of it.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
fatbob, wise words. Cool Guess we used up all our snow luck last year. Still had some great skiing and great company though.

I've dumped my photos on the web here:

http://home2.btconnect.com/anniviers/PhotoAlbums/LaGrave2008/index.html

Will try and pick out some not so bad ones later.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oh well, better than a week in the office!
ski holidays
brian, glad you had a good time. I'll look forward to hearing from the others how the rest of the trip went. ps: how did you fit in a smart car??? Shock
ski holidays
easiski, I saw the Smart Car in La Grave last Saturday morning when we were on our way to Wengen. We commented on how a skier could hire a car like that and derive up there. Little did I know a SnowHead had it.
ski holidays
made it over to LG for one day last week. wasn't the greatest really but they'll have had a decent amount of snow since then.
full TR of my Oisans trip to come once I have sorted the photos
ski holidays
Chaps, just wanted to say thanks for a another great LG trip, despite the conditions the company was great as ever....even enjoyed the Randonee.
Been suffering ever since with bashed ribs - didn't notice them at the time due to shoulder outey-inney moment. Worth it though.

Will try to select and post some decent photos from my time loitering at the back!
See you next time..
Phil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PJB, Welcome to snowHeads Very Happy snowHead
latest report
PJB,

Yol Philbob..welcome..!!! Laughing

I have more stills I can e-mail if you want to PM me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just to let you know guys - it's been dumping big time all day. Mostly knee deep this morning, then they shut the lifts so went up to Le Chazelet this afternoon, and frequently got buried waist-deep. Virtually zero vis though, so many snowHead snowHead incidents, including a good half dozen from the guide. Rather breezy (even by Scottish standards Wink ) at the top though, so they actually only ran the one train we were on, then tried shutting it - until we pointed out that our guides were on the next train Shocked . Just after that then sent a train up with some maintenance guys on - during when the cable blew off one of the pylons.

All been givn instructions to have 100+mm skis tomorrow - wondering about trying to try some Hellbents/Pontoons for a laugh - but maybe just stick with my own (even if they're 5mm too narrow). Maybe just search out a snorkel instead Very Happy

Just thought you'd like to know Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN, lucky git
snow conditions
GrahamN, Are you still there? Give me a bell if yes - it would seem so from your post. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski,

He went back out this thursday so should be at the Edelwiess if I am not mistaken.

GrahamN, Enjoy, beats working..Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grrrr ...... I have lost lot of great photos taken over the last month, especially from the La Grave trip and the following Tarentaise 3-day extravaganza .... one of my memory sticks appears to have been wiped .... Evil or Very Mad

Still a few left .... and a lot more memories ..... great trip .... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The cast ....

The 'initial' fun kick-off on the St. Christoff descent ....

followed by ....

The run-out from our couloir in Serre Chevalier ...

A 'First Descent' from the glacier to the Chancel Refuge Kitchen, By Manu Lestienne & Bernard C, with a black bag of Salad each ....

.... going to try to ferret out some more, but they may have to wait till May ..... busy, busy, busy, .... got to help out GrahamN ..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
BernardC, just to let you know, today was just like your "snorkel day" last year. Bluebird + waist deep powder - tough job rolling eyes. Finished off with Banane then Couloir de Freaux - what a fantastic end to a day Very Happy snowHead snowHead . Unfortunately the legs were starting to show the effects of our 6000+ of deep powder, so the bottom half of it not quite as bouncy as we would have liked. Promised that the glacier will be open tomorrow - was looking absolutely awesome from P3 today. BTW we also got a message that La Plagne got 80cm yesterday.

Charlotte - just here for the weekend, with the SCGB. Leaving Monday early pm (see if I can find your no - think I lost it when I last changed phone).
latest report
GrahamN, .... Couloir de Freaux ..... Very Happy Respect ... well good ... Very Happy

PS .... What are you doing up at 22:30+ in a corner, in the bar, at the Edelweiss .... ? you should know that is living VERY dangerously and can damage your health ..... Toofy Grin
snow report
BernardC, and that was just the warmup for the following day...Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy